Author Topic: Avast 5 Will not update definitions  (Read 40463 times)

bong2x

Re: Avast 5 Will not update definitions
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »
Can not install VPS updates.
Please report the following
error codes.
Version: 5.0.418
SI:  0x00000002
ST: 0xFFFFFFFF
LE:  0x00000000
in my mind it says "syntax error call a function without being declared"
this maybe happen when it is download from other computer and update it in the other
updating is just like a doctor consult and give medicine
i wonder if you trying multiple update in one download
*apology just a curios mind*

jack157

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »
Hello! Lyvebe sorry I butted in on your butt in  ;) LOL

I just logged back with some extra info which might help Essexboy, and maybe yourself.

I post on the CA Forum fairly regular it was there they suggested I ask on the Avast Forum. So today a member also suggested I try to manual update in Safemode, which I did and Avast 5 updated no problem. So at least I can feel a bit safer on the net until this is hopefully sorted.

The way I did it was to download the updates to a USB stick, go into safe mode, start avast manually, and just run the updates file from the stick and it updated no trouble.

So just thought I should pass that on in case it helps.

Jack

jack157

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
Can not install VPS updates.
Please report the following
error codes.
Version: 5.0.418
SI:  0x00000002
ST: 0xFFFFFFFF
LE:  0x00000000
in my mind it says "syntax error call a function without being declared"
this maybe happen when it is download from other computer and update it in the other
updating is just like a doctor consult and give medicine
i wonder if you trying multiple update in one download
*apology just a curios mind*

Hello Bonge I'm afraid I am not that knowledgeable on computers so you will have to forgive me for not fully understanding what you are saying, but you have just given me a thought. I know this shouldn't make any difference but I am going to try running the installation directly from the download site instead of first saving the file and then running it.

I'll let you know but don't hold your breath  ;)

Jack

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 10:29:16 PM »
@Lyverbe from the log I can also see Kerio firewall as well and it still appears to be running - this is in addition to ZA, so that may well be part of your problem.  So you will need to uninstall one of them

I found a tad of malware though

Start OTS. Copy/Paste the information in the quotebox below into the pane where it says "Paste fix here" and then click the Run Fix button.

Code: [Select]
[Unregister Dlls]
[File - Lop Check]
NY ->  .# -> C:\Users\Johnathan\AppData\Roaming\.#
[Empty Temp Folders]

The fix should only take a very short time. When the fix is completed a message box will popup telling you that it is finished. Click the Ok button and Notepad will open with a log of actions taken during the fix. Post that information back here along.

I will review the information when it comes back in.

Also let me know of any problems you encountered performing the steps above or any continuing problems you are still having with the computer.

@jack157 the next post is for you

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
@jack157 no apparent malware - and your firewall is Ashampoo, I have no idea how that works but I would feel that it is the root of your problem, Avast is not being let through   

bong2x

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
 :'( o sorry jack i didn't mean anything!

jennkate

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
I had a similar problem when I upgraded to Avast 5.  When I turned off Comodo I could manually update Avast.  I did this for a few days and then replaced Comodo with Zone Alarm and no longer have an updating problem.

jack157

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
@jack157 no apparent malware - and your firewall is Ashampoo, I have no idea how that works but I would feel that it is the root of your problem, Avast is not being let through   

Ok I'll try anything, Ashampoo (despite it's mickey mouse reputation) has served me well but if it's gotta go in favour of Avast then so be it although it did work well with 4.8 ???

But just a couple of things, in an earlier post somebody said that there should be three entries in the firewall rules. I have just noticed that I only have two, one is avast set up, the other is AvastUI, but there is no AvastSvc, which I presume is the updater. (it is different to 4.8 which was Ash*** something or other).

The other point I made in an earlier post is that I was so desperate to get Avast 5 working that I reformatted and reinstalled XP then the very first program was Avast5 without any firewall or other security software and it wouldn't update. But having said that as I am typing this I'm starting to have doubts about how I am recalling the chain of events. It would have made sense to next install the Firewall before I went on the Internet so perhaps I did have the firewall installed when I ran the updater and I am not recalling it accurately.

OK I'll uninstall it and give it a try.

I'll get back to you.
Thanks again
Jack

jack157

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 12:16:12 AM »

Guess what!! A very nice sounding American Young Lady has just informed me that my virus data base is up to date. ;D . To be honest I only wanted Avast 5 because of her.

Thanks Essexboy I feel a bit of a plonker not trying it with the Firewall uninstalled but I felt sure I had tried it without anything else installed that was the whole point of reinstalling XP, and I know I tried it with Ashampoo Firwall disabled (not uninstalled) and just the windows firewall enabled on several occasions before I did the XP rebuild. But there has been so much I have tweaked and messed about.

Anyway I'm happy, .... Good Job, thanks again.

Jack

bong2x

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:26 AM »
IM HAPPY FOR YOU JACK JUST LIKE OLD DAYS A YOUNG LADY IS BACK WITH THE NICE VOICE
IF YOU LIKE THAT, I HAVE FILE OF ANY YOUNG LADY SAYING "WARNING THERE'S A VIRUS IN YOUR COMPUTER."
 :-*

Lyverbe

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
Oh my god... this "fix" you asked me to do completely emptied my recycling bin.  I *NEVER* empty my recycling bin!  When I delete stuff, I use Shift-Delete 95% of the time.  I see my recycling bin as a sort of big temporary/backup folder.  I did see the command "[Empty Temp Folders]", but how could I even think this would empty my recycling bin  :'(

As for Kerio, I did try it in the past and didn't like it, so I uninstalled it shortly after.  The OST log specifies "Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped" meaning that the service is stopped.  Still, I wanted to completely remove it, so I went in my services and searched for it.  I couldn't find it, but I was surprised to find "Windows7Firewall" still running, a free firewall I used while ZoneAlarm was still not compatible with Windows 7, but I only disabled (not uninstalled) when I installed ZoneAlarm.  I stopped the service and the updates now work.

Strange though.  I've been using ZoneAlarm for the last 2 months and Windows7Firewall was not interfering with outbound connections.  Why was it suddenly blocking Avast and not any of the other internet applications I've been using during the last two months?!

Anyhow, thanks for spending all this time with me (us?).  You were helpful... even though I lost everything in my recycling bin!

Hally

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
Hi Lyverbe  :)

Re: Windows Firewall Service
I got a shock a few weeks ago when I realised that my Windows Firewall Service was still running  :o
As the Firewall I actually use is... PC Tools Firewall Plus

However!
I found out that it is perfectly Normal for the Windows Firewall Service to be running  ::)
Even When... Windows Firewall .. Is Turned - OFF
This Is Perfectly Normal!   8)

So!
As long as your Windows Firewall is showing as OFF .. It Is OFF .. Nothing to worry about!  ;)

Hally
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:17:34 PM by Hally »

hayryn

Re: Avast 5 Will not update definitions (FIXED)
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 05:40:35 AM »
Hey everyone.  I had the same problem with Avast 5 Internet Security no longer connecting to the server for updates.  This was on a clients computer that I removed some malware from.  I assume the malware caused the issue.  But what worked for me was to open Avast->Settings->Update tab->Proxy settings->select direct connect

In my case when I went to Proxy Setting, none of the options were selected.  I then chose Direct Connect and updates started working.

I hope this works for everyone.