Author Topic: Can't send e-mail after avast download  (Read 6469 times)

rayjay

Can't send e-mail after avast download
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:20:32 AM »
Windows XP Home, firefox browser and thunderbird e-mail. I'm not computer literate.
I just downloaded avast! 4 home.
Now, when I try to send e-mail it won't go out. If I exit the avast, the e-mail goes through.
I tried to send with avast working and shutting of the windows firewall and it still wouldn't go through.
Went back again and shut down avast and again was able to send e-mail.
Nothing else has been changed.
Prior to this I used Trend Micro which has expired, but never had a problem with that.
When the mail fails to go through, a box pops up with a message:
"mail server responded 5:70 must issue a STARTTLS command first"
"verify e-mail address is correct in your mail preferences and try again"
I also tried "pausing" the avast e-mail "provider" but mail wouldn't go through doing that either.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

YoKenny

Re: Can't send e-mail after avast download
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »
Welcome rayjay

You have to leave email to be handled by the standard ports as avast! can not process secure email transport yet.

POP 110 SMTP 25 IMAP 143 NNTP 119

rayjay

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
Thank you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »
I am not sure that Yokenny's response was entirely helpful to his fellow Canadian user of avast.

If it is not too late to help I would ask the original poster if Sympatico is being used as as the mail service provider.  If so then there can be a problem with sending email with the current release of avast that you may have encountered.  Please let us know.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Sympatico switched to secure email a while back and I had the problem sending and receiving email as I set up avast! to use the same settings and I received the "mail server responded 5:70 must issue a STARTTLS command first" error and found that I needed STUNNEL that I could not get to work:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18744.0
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0

I know I won't be sending infected email so I just use standard email checking and I never open any email attachment without scanning it first.

I follow the KISS principal.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
You can specifically exclude sympatico from outbound scans and leave outbound scanning enabled. This allows for checking email that you aren't actually sending, e.g. an undetected/hidden trojan spambot on your system. To prevent Avast from scaning the outgoing emails from Sympatico only. Under the Internet Mail provider, Customize, "Redirect" tab, specify "smtphm.sympatico.ca:25" as the Ignored address, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Randrex

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
Welcome rayjay

You have to leave email to be handled by the standard ports as avast! can not process secure email transport yet.

POP 110 SMTP 25 IMAP 143 NNTP 119

Help!! In desperation - cannot find where to Reply or where to Post a new topic (or even adjust my profile) - its as though some key buttons are missing so used the Quote button (and I did try the Help files - been looking for an hour now).

This topic is as as close as I can find - yesterday this machine sent Outlook e-mail fine but today every message is stopped (message undeliverable message text says "No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient." The first time it happened we are fairly sure there was an Avast splashscreen saying there was a problem (did it update last night?).

Would love to turn off Avast (V4 Home I believe) to try without but it asks for a password which I have no recollection of either receiving or providing when I installed Avast (and our other machine doesn't ask for this) - and I can't even check which version I have without it.

How do I get outgoing mail working again?? Incoming is working fine. Any help will be much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
It can be put in a new topic in the avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, there is a New Topic button at the top of the page when you click on that forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0.

It sounds like the avast plug-in in MS Outlook is disabled, you don't say what version of MS Outlook you are using, so try this.
Make sure the avast plug-in/add-in is not disabled in MS Outlook:
Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-ins > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

If that doesn't work you will have to create your own new topic so people can help without confusing this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Randrex

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »
Thanks for the thought - but I found the add-in was there already (and it did work OK yesterday). With your guidance I've found the New Topic button - Thanks - I shall now use it!