Author Topic: Scan Progressively Slowing? Edit: And BSOD  (Read 2510 times)

BRANDONN2008

Scan Progressively Slowing? Edit: And BSOD
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:33:33 AM »
I just installed 5.0.377. It's awesome, installed no problems, works fine. Except, I'm running a full scan right now. It started scanning about 60mbps. Now its at about 14mbps. It has been decreasing about .01mb every second. I was wondering if that's normal or if there's a reason the scanning speed is consistently decreasing.

Also, a few minutes after posting this, I got a BSOD. Not sure how to get the memory dump or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:38:15 AM by brandonn2008 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Scan Progressively Slowing? Edit: And BSOD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »
Check the folder C:\Windows\Minidump - is there a recent file (with the corresponding timestamp) there?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:18:35 AM »
The scan speed may look like it's decreasing when avast! jumps from files that are stored in transient and persistent cache to files that are not stored in either cache and were not scanned before. When scenario like this occurs, the scan speed will be very high at first but when non cached files begin to be scanned the speed will start to fall down because actually scanning the files takes longer than checking their state in the cache (which takes very little time and resources). When avast! again encounters cached files later in the same scan, the scan speed will progressively increase again.

As for the BSOD, igor will help you out, just look for those files he mentioned.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »
I can't upload my minidump to the ftp server, there is no option to upload or anything, just the folder.