Author Topic: Avast 5 and Outlook Plugin  (Read 14676 times)

lexluthor

Avast 5 and Outlook Plugin
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
I just installed Avast 5, but I don't think the Outlook plugin is working.

I have Outlook 2007.  I don't see anything in the Outlook trust manager, nor do I get the splash screen when opening Outlook  (yes, splash screen is enabled in settings).

I also just uninstalled Avast, rebooted and reinstalled.

Any ideas?

lexluthor

Re: Avast 5 and Outlook Plugin
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
Also, this is a Windows 7 PC.

On my other PC (Windows XP), I see there's an Avast 5 listed in the plugin section and the plugin works.

On this PC, I see an Avast 4 plugin (which was disabled the first time I opened outlook and it was invalid), but no listing of an Avast 5 plugin.

As I said, I already uninstalled and reinstalled Avast 5.

How do I get the Outlook plugin to install properly?

lexluthor

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
Anyone have any advice on this?

I'm not sure what else I can do to get the Outlook plugin to work.

dgreenhouse

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
I just recovered from an HD crash and reinstalled Avast onto a cloned HD.

I thought I'd install the "latest and greatest" free anti-virus app from Alwil and low and behold, the plug-in failed.
(I went from 4.x to 5.x)

Observations:
I noticed that Outlook complained that it could not find the plug-in, and I also noted the location it complained about -
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashOutXt.dll.

I also noticed that the new Avast version popped-up a window stating to the effect that it couldn't scan secure mailboxes - which I have.
This was an obvious indication that something was awry.

Solution:
I copied the exact named file from - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashOutXt.dll to the still existent directory - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4. (Note: I just copied (i.e. duplicated; not moved))

Simply:
Just copy the file: ashOutXt.dll from your Avast5 directory to the Avast4 directory or into a created (by you) directory path that Outlook is looking for.

A hack, but it'll work (and works) until a better solution from Alwil is forthcoming.

Hope this helps...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:25:56 AM by dgreenhouse »

lexluthor

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:25:23 AM »
Thanks, but my install didn't save either that folder or that file.

At least it's not just me having the problem.

Would love to hear from avast on this.

brhalltx

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
   I had the same problem, and had to copy the file to the Avast 4 directory.  (I had Avast 4 installed, removed it, rebooted, and installed Avast 5.)  Outlook 2003 won't allow adding a .dll as an addin, so the only way to make it work was to copy the file. 

lexluthor

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
There's got to be a better way.  Plus, I'm on Outlook 2007 and also my Windows XP/Outlook 2007 PC got the correct plugin when I installed Avast 5.

How do I get the Avast 5 plugin to work in Outlook 2007 on my Windows 7 PC?

lexluthor

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
Ok.  I got it working.

I used add/remove to remove Avast 5.

I rebooted into safe mode.

I ran this uninstaller
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Booted back into Windows, re-installed Avast 5 and I have the exchange plug in now.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
just FYI, there's only one restriction with this Outlook plugin in V5, that's on 64 bit OS, it cannot work there...yet.

brhalltx

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:09 AM »
   I removed Avast 4 first, rebooted, then installed Avast 5, and didn't get the plugin.  The Avast 4 removal did leave the Avast 4 folder (in Program Files) behind...

Ricko

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 05:07:02 AM »
The installation of Avast5 completely did away with my Avast4 (I did not realize ahead of time it was going to do that.) So I tried creating an empty directory (folder) called "Avast4" under /program files/Alwil software and copied the dll from the Avast5 to the Avast4 folder. Whereupon Outlook opened without that annoying message. And my mail shield is running. So I guess it worked.

cyclone3211

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:16 AM »
Just tried to fake the f.dll and establish a Avast4 file with the .dll and ran the Detect in Outlook 2003 and still get that message about the missing Avast4, even though I did install Avast5 in Win7.

Anyone got another fix????????????

Johanne

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
I'm administrator of the domain and must login as administrator to install software on all users' workstations
(Windows XP SP3).  The only machine that I don't have to do this is my own, since I'm the administrator of my PC!  Yesterday, I installed Avast 5 on my workstation; no problems with the plugin (Outlook 2007) but on all users' workstations, the plugin error occurs!  I did the "temporary" fix mentioned above (it works) but could Alwil fix this, please?! 

thcs_consulting

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Outlook stores the location of the dll for avast in a file under (XP) Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat. This is a binary file. If you have a copy of this file that has Avast5 correct then copy the file over file in profile that stipulates Avast4 and it will work

k.u.r.t

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
all you have to do is delete the extend.dat file as Outlook will re-create it the next time you run it. The file contains cashed add-in data. So if you do install avast 5 into its directory outlook will kepp searching for the (now nonexistent) dll under the old path. nothing more needs to be done.