Author Topic: Questions about version 4.5 of AVAST???  (Read 47605 times)

yoga

Re:Questions about version 4.5 of AVAST???
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 01:13:55 AM »
Hi,

Hopefully the amount of resources that Avast uses won't go up to much with this newer version? I wouldn't want to see Avast get bloated at all like the many other programs out there.

By the way I just started trying Avast about a week ago and I must say that I have been extremely impressed by the communication that I have seen coming from both VLK and Igor on this forum. It is really refreshing to see people that care so much about there users/customers. For this you both deserve a big Thank You!

Sincerly,
Yoga

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 02:17:54 AM »
Hi,

Hopefully the amount of resources that Avast uses won't go up to much with this newer version? I wouldn't want to see Avast get bloated at all like the many other programs out there.

By the way I just started trying Avast about a week ago and I must say that I have been extremely impressed by the communication that I have seen coming from both VLK and Igor on this forum. It is really refreshing to see people that care so much about there users/customers. For this you both deserve a big Thank You!

Sincerly,
Yoga

First of all, WELCOME TO FORUMS Yoga !!!

Yeah, and you didn't see nothing yet... stick around and you'll see what's the real  communitation between avast! programmers and avast! users... unbelievable. What's best of all, they are not just programmers - they are our friends in the first place !

Go Alwil, go !
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 02:18:31 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

yoga

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 07:20:58 PM »
Thank you very much Craftec!

The Avast guys sound like some pretty remarkable people! I think I'll stick around for awhile. :)

Great work by the way on the skins! Thats really awesome what you've done. We are using the pirates theme right now on ours which is really cool. I plan on trying the rest of them out here soon though. :)

Take care!
Sincerly,
Yoga
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:22:45 PM by yoga »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 10:59:14 AM »
Are there any new updates on version 4.5 of avast? Any idea on possible release date or even a possible date for a PUBLIC BETA? Also will heuristics be used in all the modules of avast? Any new features or upgrades to current features? Thanks again.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 12:59:56 PM »
Are there any new updates on version 4.5 of avast? Any idea on possible release date or even a possible date for a PUBLIC BETA? Also will heuristics be used in all the modules of avast? Any new features or upgrades to current features? Thanks again.

it seems i'm not only one who gets eager about Avast 4.5 !
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 03:07:14 PM »
Radicalb, what I've heard it won't have a beta, but I could be wrong. Not everything is done right now... VRDB needs improvements, etc.

About heuristics in all the modules of avast, remember that this was said before: only in version 5 or later. In version 4.5 it won't be possible. Anyway, heuristic analysis could not be the 'better' detection solution and avast could not add it to other modules than mail scanning. Well, I'm only guessing  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 03:34:55 PM »
Well i changed my mind with heuristic stuff. After some normal usage of NOD32 and AntiVir i encountered 2 samples which were detected by both heuristics and not by avast!. I did submit them to alwil team,but this isn't the same.

What about triple layer scanning?

First check file with signatures,if nothing found check with heuristics and if nothing found Sandbox-ing the sample. This would make almost a perfect detection system. The only problem might be a performance/memory usage tradeoff...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »
The only problem might be a performance/memory usage tradeoff...

The loses are too big for that in my opinion...
Better a backup scanning or on-line.
Are you sure that AntiVir did not give you false alarms? For me it occurs 4 times... I submited the files to Alwil but they give no answer to me...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 05:34:37 PM »
Vlk wrote:
The program will probably also feature a new default skin and we'll likely have a new web site design...]The program will probably also feature a new default skin and we'll likely have a new web site design...

Stupid question, but what can I do... Is there any chance for default skin to be one of those professional looking made by me ? I already know the answer - NO. Martin is main person in Alwil, responsible for graphics, and that's understandable... but, no one said anything about how that skin will look like... I'm guessing it's gonna be something professional looking, just because of all those requests from avast! users for something professional looking, not "747 cockpit" skin like they used to call it...

I mean I made first "professional looking" skin, it's normal to ask is there any chance to integrate that skin at least into that package among the other 3 default skins that comes with avast download...

Sorry for bugging you guys with something that is not really important...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 08:06:41 PM by .: SZC :. »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2004, 06:05:54 PM »
Hi SZC, not a stupid question at all...
The fact is, we already have a skin ready for avast 4.5... And it's not exactly one of the serious-looking. That's because we have no intention of making avast dull.. ;) We somehow feel that many people like to have something non-standard, and the default skin should meet this criterium. :)

Bundling one of your skins instead one of the default 3 is quite a good idea, though...  Which one would you like to use? :)

Radical, please forgive me but the info you're asking is still under embargo. It will be posted as soon as it is clear. Sorry. (I hope that doesn't ruin your business :) :))

Cheers,
Vlk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 07:05:29 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
BTW heres the design of the avast 4.5 skin.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2004, 06:28:28 PM »
Uuuu very nice design :) If you're planing on adding one SZC's skins i 'd vote for RejZoR-Sharp. Not because of the naming,but because of the design :) (maybe also Lite-On and Bionic)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 08:04:59 PM »
Hey Vlk, thanks for answer !

This skin proves that Martin is the KING !!!
Skin is so clean, sharp and easy to navigate... what do you need more ? It just reminds me on some older avast! skins, but I guess that is somethng like trademark, logo, emblem...

Skin is perfect, and I agree with you Vlk... you shouldn't make avast! dull and ordinary looking, because avast! is not just ordinary antivirus tool... it's the best. OK, kill me 'cause I'm agressive, but I love it so much I could do anything to defend it...

I would be so happy if you decide to integrate one of skins made by me into default bundle... I just don't know which one... I like BIONIC very very much, on the other hand, REJZOR-SHARP is something that is so clean and professional looking (IMHO)... I'll let you guys decide... OK ? Maybe REJZOR-SHARP 'cause that way, all those users that are asking for some "serious" looking skin, will be able to choose it from default package, without any additional downloading and installing... I don't know... put them both, hehe... sorry, joke...

Cheers !

lee16

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 09:08:28 PM »
I like the defult skin, looks cool.

If you do include one of SZC's skins i would like to vote for my personal fav of his, and thats Black Liquid.

--lee
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 09:09:36 PM by lee16 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 10:30:48 PM »
I'm still stuck on LCARS. :) Wonder why?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet