Author Topic: Avast! 5 Internet Security and Windows Firewall ???  (Read 7209 times)

hyjaxltd

Avast! 5 Internet Security and Windows Firewall ???
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »
MANY, MANY other 3rd party firewall providers REQUIRE ::) that windows firewall is disabled.  

Do I have to disable Widnows Firewall when using Avast 5 Internet Security  ???

BTW...OFF THE CHARTS ALWIL!!! Fianlly a REAL full sided protection package...and so smooth on my resources too  ;D

Offline wonderwrench

Re: Avast! 5 Internet Security and Windows Firewall ???
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
If you are running XP I would think you should disable the windows firewall. If this is wrong someone please correct me. If you are running Vista or 7 leave the windows firewall on. Vista and 7 networking will not function correctly with it off. Also Avast IS firewall uses windows firewall as far as I know. Its just an enhanced GUI for windows firewall.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

hpguru

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
Alwil please comment this. I pay today IS and update Pro to IS with 2-3 days. I will ask you too some question. If i use IS, what you think about Windows Vista Firewall? Is disabling Vista firewall required?

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »
During the Beta-phase they recommended to let the Windows firewall running...

The avast! FW and Windows FW shouldn't conflict!

kind regards
onlysomeone

hpguru

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
Thank you for this info!  :D

hyjaxltd

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
Thats true as we can see here;
We actually keep the Windows firewall as it doesn't conflict and is what Microsoft recommends for 3rd party firewall vendors. The reason is that the Windows firewall is connected to some other (non-firewall) features, such as IPSec.
Just thought it would be good for an official comment off the beta board for anyone doing a search  8)

Any comments concerning the Final Relase Vlk(when you get a chance)?

---IMO :o , it should probably be addressed as a sticky as so MANY, MANY, MANY others require that we shut it off...YEA INTERGRATION ;D

dallas7

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
This is a mirror inquiry to
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53785.0
and I sure wish to heck some one from avast! would clear this up>:(
And sticky it.
This speculation has to end!

And while we're at it, saying "Windows" is like saying "sauce" or "beer."
Just in case it hasn't occurred to you (you know who you are), "Windows" can be XP, Vista, Win7 in either 32 or 64 bit.
Maybe the next time you post up you could consider that you aren't actually the center of the universe and no one knows which "Windows" you are running.  At the very least, stick it in a signature.  That way the thread won't run on aimlessly.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:46:11 AM »
This is a mirror inquiry to
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53785.0
and I sure wish to heck some one from avast! would clear this up>:(
And sticky it.
This speculation has to end!

And while we're at it, saying "Windows" is like saying "sauce" or "beer."
Just in case it hasn't occurred to you .... "Windows" can be XP, Vista, Win7 in either 32 or 64 bit.
Windows Firewall(XP, Vista, 7) is essentially the same, other than a few minor dev changes for the OS its running on top of.  In other words in all versions its meant to control the same things.

Im not asking about anyone version OS firewall.

NAMOR

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
I'm bumping this thread instead of the one I created, to get an answer.... BUMP!  ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
Vlk has answered before...just one of his replies...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53638.msg455448#msg455448

1) is that OK ?
2) If W7 firewall should stay ON , plz explain why ? what are the benefits and cons of having 2 different FW working side by side ?

It's somewhat similar to Windows Defender and other antivirus/antispyware applications. It just doesn't conflict, so why disable it?
Last time we spoke to the engineers in Redmond, we were actually advised to not turn off the Windows firewall as it is also connected to some other Windows network stack features (e.g. IPSec). So that's what we do now, we leave it on.

dallas7

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that link to page two of "I guess 5 is coming soon. Saw two new files in the Avast folder."  I don't know ANYONE could have missed that!   :P  That's an off-topic inquiry about Win7.  You have users in this one here asking about Vista and XP.  And vlk's response, in all due respect, is more of a rumination than an answer... "that's what we do now"  When is "now"?  When is that over?  Next week?  Next version?  That thread doesn't answer anything.

The firewall is the first line defense against threats, blocking unsolicited inbound connections its baseline function.  Some users are serious as a heart attack about this and should be presented with a less cavalier attitude in that respect.

So, Redmond suggested their firewall should remain enabled.  Wow.  Go figure.

Well by default, the Windows firewall is only inbound firewall, i.e. it doesn't really control applications in any way.
If an app tries to open a server, an allow/deny alert pops up (given the default configuration) in WinXP as far as I know.  That infers control.

I don't have much experience with configuring Vista and Win7, but I am lead to conclude from casual observation in forums, one can tweak outbounds.  I believe there are third party overlays to add a user friendly GUI to that effect.  I could stand corrected, tho.

In any event, the firewall in this suite is at best elementary in configuration granularity and apparently dependent on the Windows firewall.  Not very exciting...

While the AV side is stellar, I have uninstalled the trial of IS.

Thank you and Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:43:51 PM by dallas7 »