Author Topic: weird firewall alert...  (Read 3709 times)

Hermite15

weird firewall alert...
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
see screen shot, lol it's actually the screen shot utility that is suppose to attempt a connection with ftp mozilla...hmm...I don't get it. I browsed mozilla ftp today but on an older session of Firefox. Anyway FF must be connected today for the checking of 3.6 availability, but I already upgraded to 3.6 manually. Anyway what that  with the snipping tool doing that  ??? I had Def+ alerts from Comodo after a new install for the snipping tool in the past, but never a firewall alert for it...doesn't make much sense.

ps: I denied the connection

Offline wonderwrench

Re: weird firewall alert...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »
MS must be spying on us in yet another way!
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »
MS must be spying on us in yet another way!

remote is Mozilla  ;D

kadenk

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
maybe a snipping tool update?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
maybe a snipping tool update?

from mozilla, I seriously doubt that :)

I guess they are spying on Mozilla... ;D

Seriously though, that is wierd...

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
from mozilla, I seriously doubt that

well you saw the alert on my screen shot didn't you  ??? ... there must have been a request (for this outgoing connection to be triggered) and again, remote is ftp mozilla...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:00:04 PM by Logos »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
I don't doubt it was connecting to Mozilla, just that the update for MS snipping tool would come from them ;)

Wait (the only internet based setting I found?), maybe it has something to do with the 'include URL below snips' option. It may automatically copy the link which may mean it needs a connection
(Although I may have completely misinterpreted how this option actually works...)

Can't find anything on the internet though...

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
I don't doubt it was connecting to Mozilla, just that the update for MS snipping tool would come from them ;)

Wait (the only internet based setting I found?), maybe it has something to do with the 'include URL below snips' option. It may automatically copy the link which may mean it needs a connection
(Although I may have completely misinterpreted how this option actually works...)

Can't find anything on the internet though...

come on there's no snipping tool update going on  ;D but you might be right about the URL option I never cared about either really... I actually took a screen shot of ftp mozilla that I posted here earlier today, I've thought about it already, but that was long before I got this alert. The screenshot I took when I got the alert was ...hum...may be Mozilla firefox download page...not sure anymore, I took quite a few today...
 I tried to reproduce the alert by deleting the blocking rule I made, but it doesn't happen anymore, nor do I see any URL included in the screen shot itself or in its properties when I make one from a web page.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:21:03 PM by Logos »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
Well, it is certainly wierd...