Author Topic: 4.8 to 5.0 update wasn't so easy :P  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
4.8 to 5.0 update wasn't so easy :P
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »
I've just updated the 4.8 Home edition to 5.0 Free edition on my brother's computer (Windows XP system) and it was quite complicated:

First I tried to do it via right click on the A ball and Program update, but it said that it's already up to date.

OK, then I went to avast.com site and downloaded the 5.0 Free version and started the install. First thing it did was that it uninstalled Avast 4.8. Then I was playing a bit with the install options (going under custom, just to see what it is there and then going back) and then the first trouble began.

The option to install Google Chrome or not was gone! I still don't know if it installed it or not, I hope not, because it's really not needed.

The installation has finished and I rebooted the PC as required.

When it came back, the shields weren't working. I tried everything (uninstal, reinstall, repair installation, update etc. and rebooted numerous times) but nothing helped.

Then I downloaded aswClear.exe, rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled 4.8 properly (before I didn't know that was required, I tought that 5.0 will do it by itself) and booted into normal mode.

Then I finally installed 5.0 Free edition again and now it seems that it works fine, except that I can't register it online, no way. So I sent a request for a free license which I will insert manually when I get it. I hope that it will work OK then...

Is this normal, that I had so much problems with the installation? What did I do wrong? And thank you for reading all this text. :)

--------------
Edit:

I just got the registration code, I manually inserted it in and it seems fine now. But in the mean time the shields went down just like that and now I clicked on FIX IT and it seems fine again. What could be the reason for the shiled problems?

Another thing that I noticed it that in the task manager there are only 2 avast processes running. Is that normal? In 4.8 every shield had it's own process I think and now there are only 2 running.

Thank you again! :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:51:44 PM by Bellzemos »
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: 4.8 to 5.0 update wasn't so easy :P
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Shields went down again, for no reason. Please, someone from Avast team, what could it be?

Another thing that I miss in 5.0 is the Boot time scan (after the installation, on the first boot).
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
I installed on top of Avast V 4.8 free and had no problem with the product key transferring over to Avast V5. But Had a bad problem later today computer crashed bsod as i was testing v 5 on a small hard drive on a I :obm 600e. Had to remove in safe mode an a good job i kept the key saved now gone back to old avast again! v4.8 :o

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »
Well, that's not good. I'm a big fan of Avast AV, but I can't get the new version to work, no way. The shileds are down again, they only stay on for some minutes...

I'm thinking of geting the 4.8 back too. :(

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
By just reading in the forum there is a lot of trouble with V5 at the moment. I am going to wait a while when a newer version is out and try again. I was running this on a clean install of windows xp sp3 with internet running only on a small hard drive in a IBM 600e lappy. Re shoved my main large drive back in it now on old version.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
Well, that's not good. I'm a big fan of Avast AV, but I can't get the new version to work, no way. The shileds are down again, they only stay on for some minutes...

I'm thinking of geting the 4.8 back too. :(

I too installed 5.0 over 4.8 and it never missed a beat, so it is a shame to hear you having this problem.

Though I don't know what language version you downloaded (English presumably) and this may well have complicated the install English over the Language version you have for 4.8.

Have you tried a clean reinstall yet ?

If not I would try that:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (if you haven't got your copy and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Once you have the English version installed, eventually when your language version is available you can change language in avast I believe without having to reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kadenk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
that is weird because I haven't had many problems with pro edition, except for having to buy a new license, but what are ya gonna do it was going to expire in 15 days anyway. another problem i had was threatfire detected avast installing as a risk but i let it go through anyway.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

I don't fully understand what you mean there, but I already did a clean install (look at my first post in this thread) and it's not helping.

Thank you for help anyway! :)

-------------
Edit:

I attached the dupm file (I renamed the extension: dmp to txt).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:18:57 PM by Bellzemos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
The early version of aswclear.exe was 4.8 orientated, where I believe it is now geared up for 5.0 also, so that is why I suggested it.

Sorry I can't analyse the dump file I don't have the tools, that will have to be someone from Alwil.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security