Author Topic: 4.8 Home VS 5.0 Free  (Read 11765 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
4.8 Home VS 5.0 Free
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
Is there anything that was taken out of the 4.8 Home features/scanners/protection and it's not present in 5.0 Free version? I know that there are several new features added in 5.0 Free, but I don't know if anything was removed. Please tell me. Thanx!  :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

djomla33

Re: 4.8 Home VS 5.0 Free
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
For Example..  Skin changing option is removed...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
The website blocking has been moved to the IS version IIRC... but that was IMO a small feature that was more for a firewall to deal with any way...

At the moment that is all that i know of...

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »
You mean that there's no more website blocking in 5.0 free? Hm... I don't care much about skin changing, but I'd like to keep that feature. Anything else maybe? And thank you. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
Obviously you get the webshield, which blocks malicious content etc... ;)

What I meant is when you go into the advanced settings of avast! 4 webshield and there is a place where you can input a website name/IP address that you wish to be blocked. When trying to visit the site you would be prompted by a message in the broser by avast saying that it was disabled...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
That's a pity... What kind of free solution should I use with Avast then, what do you suggest? Thank you.

BoerenkoolMetWorstEnJus

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
Why use a solution, almost every browser has exception or blacklist options these days, just enter the sites you want blocked in there. Also about the skins removed, they are just not removed from the free version, but from the whole product, and they are also in my opinion unnecessary because Avast finally has a great GUI :)

rlw

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
I can't seem to find the logfile viewer in version 5 (it used to be a menu item shown when right clicking on the blue avast ball).  There's nothing in the help file that says how to find it, and there's no obvious logfile in the \program files\alwil software\avast5 folder.

There *is* a place in the settings where you can specify the maximum log file size, so it's in there somewhere.

Am I missing something here, or did they remove that feature (Logfile viewer)?

RLW

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi rlw, welcome to the forum :)

I can't find the log viewer either, maybe it is gone...

What you can do though, is check the report files for each shield. I imagine that this would make reporting things to the forum easier also.

To alter the max log size:

open avast! GUI --> settings --> maintenence --> change 'Maximum size of each logfile.

-Scott-

rlw

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »
Hi rlw, welcome to the forum :)
I can't find the log viewer either, maybe it is gone...
What you can do though, is check the report files for each shield. I imagine that this would make reporting things to the forum easier also.
To alter the max log size:
open avast! GUI --> settings --> maintenence --> change 'Maximum size of each logfile.
-Scott-

Thanks for the welcome, Scott.  I've recommended Avast to quite a few of my clients, and I have to say the new interface is going to be much easier to support (I never really liked the old interface, it looked like some kind of MP3 player).  I *am* a bit concerned that the logfile is not easily accessible.  I had a customer call me yesterday, saying she had a virus alert from Avast, but it happened as the system was shutting down, so she never got to see what the final disposition of the file was.  We dug into the logfile, and found that it had been deleted.

I hope the powers-that-be see fit to restore the very log viewing interface from Avast 4.

RLW

carlcc

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:03:31 AM »
I'm using "avast! 4.8 professional" now.
If I update avast, the version will be "avast! Free Antivirus" which is for ordinary Internet use.

My question is that should I update the version? Or just keep using 4.8 professional?

Could anybody give suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 05:08:02 AM »
You can update to Avast! 5 Pro :)

http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4

Greetz, Red,.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

carlcc

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »

Greetz, Red,.
Thanks for your suggestion.

But that will cost money, right?

My problem is that I don't have enough money to buy sth else.
So, what i can use is the free version.

Thus, should i update 4.8 professional into 5.0 free version?

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »

Greetz, Red,.
Thanks for your suggestion.

But that will cost money, right?

My problem is that I don't have enough money to buy sth else.
So, what i can use is the free version.

Thus, should i update 4.8 professional into 5.0 free version?

carlcc,

I just upgrade my v4.8 pro to v5.0 pro withouth cost anymore money. Just use to old key, but you need to get a file .license from avast to revoke it. If your key still valid obviously, you can get v.5 for "no more cost" :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11