Author Topic: RFE: Pre-scan for commonly used applications  (Read 2045 times)

tsg

RFE: Pre-scan for commonly used applications
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:01:58 PM »
Feature request: Allow the location of commonly used programs to be specified for scanning on startup by the file system shield, thus speeding up program start on first run in a session.

Using Avast 5 Free Antivirus (on WinXP SP3), the first run of an application since a computer restart is noticeably slower to start than subsequent runs (which benefit from the File System shield's transient database).  It doesn't take *much* longer, but when you want to quickly check email or get on the web, every little helps! ;-)

If it were possible to list a set of folders (including sub folders) that got scanned and added to the temporary 'clean' database on user logon or windows start, I could add (for example) my Firefox program directory and have it start as quickly the first time I use it as it does the second.

I tried using Windows Task Scheduler to add an ashquick.exe scan of the folder, but although it scanned it it apparently doesn't add this fact to the temporary database, since the first start of Firefox (which I used to test) was no quicker.  (I didn't scan the profile folder, but it is probably - I don't have access to the machine I was on right now - much smaller than the program executable.)

I hope my meaning is clear - please ask if you need clarification.  What do other users think of this idea?

(Apologies if this should have gone in the wishlist thread, but it seems to have got a bit long and rambling...)

doktornotor

Re: RFE: Pre-scan for commonly used applications
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Eh, there's already a cache for exactly this purpose. Signed stuff only gets scanned once.