Author Topic: Avast 5 - How To Create Silent Installation?  (Read 24140 times)

Rich_Weiss

Avast 5 - How To Create Silent Installation?
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
Ive been doing silent installs of avast 4 by using the program to create the admin.ini and tasks.xml which I put in the installation folder.  

I am now testing the same for version 5, which is running in trial mode, if that makes a difference.  

According to the avast 5 Help I'm suppose to ....

1. Install avast! on one computer.

2. Modify the avast! settings as you want them to be on the other computers.

3. Select File -> Create Silent Installation.

The problem I am having is that I can't find "File" in any of the menus.

Martinss

Re: Avast 5 - How To Create Silent Installation?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »
I have some problem  :-\

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »
I am using the Pro Version that I downloaded from http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4.

I assume that it is the full version, with a 30 day evalutation period, during which a valid registration key must be entered, or the program will cease to funtion.  So why can't I get it to work on day 1 of the evalutation period?

tenninjas

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
I am a registered pro user with a valid license; I can find no File menu or way to accomplish this.
An official reply would be appreciated. I see no need to continue paying for this product if this feature has been removed; it's the very reason I purchase the professional version.

Martinss

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
wait Vlk for an answer  ;D

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:53:41 AM »
I have submitted a support ticket to the avast support center,regarding this issue,  but they have not replied.

So I am staying with version 4.8, for now anyway.

HeXDeMoN

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Keep us updated!

This is a setting I need also ;\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
I don't think that feature is currently there (in avast! 5), even though it's in the help file.

HeXDeMoN

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
I don't think that feature is currently there (in avast! 5), even though it's in the help file.

Ah thats what I figured ;\

I hope its in the works for a future release.

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:49:01 AM »
Still no official response from Avast.  Maybe they removed this feature from version 5 but neglected to remove the references to it in the Help File? 

Anyway, I'm wondering what an alternative solution would be.  Do I need to roll out an avast! Management Server running the Avast Distributed Network Manager (ADNM) just so that I can apply the custom  settings to each workstation without having to physically touch each one?  I sure hope not.

I'm really only trying to accomplish two things;

1 - Perform an unattended / silent install

2 - Set the option to update the program automatically instead of its default of update manually.

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 05:42:15 AM »
Update: After doing some further testing I discovered that silent installs of both the pro and free versions can be performed by adding the /Silent switch when running the installer.  ie setup_av_pro_eng.exe /Silent or setup_av_free_eng.exe /Silent.

Now I need to find out where to add the registration key and the setting for the Automatic Program Update. I don't see an .ini file or registry setting for these settings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:53:53 AM by Rich_Weiss »

Martinss

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
Some options in avast5.ini but can't modify file by self-protection  :-\

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 01:19:20 AM »
Well I found out thanks to Martinss that the setting for Automatic Program Updates is stored in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Avast5.ini

So I added the line ProgramUpdate=Auto and re-saved the file.  Of course as Martinss said Avast's self-protection kicked in, causing it to ask for confirmation before allowing me to overwrite the file.  However once I approved this Avast gladly accepted the new setting and reflected it appropriately in the program settings screen.

So now I need to find a way to automate this process without avast asking for confirmation.

Perhaps something along the lines of....

Start "Avast Pro Installer" /Wait CMD /C setup_av_free_eng.exe /Silent

Taskkill /F /IM AvastSvc.exe

Copy /A /V /Y Avast5.ini "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\"

I just can't seem to get Avast to shutdown or allow me to overwrite the Avast5.ini without confirmation.

Martinss

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »
well it seems that in free version there is no way to customize installation, I had to change Antivirus by other free product  :-\

Rich_Weiss if you find a method please tell me

greetings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:26:45 AM by Martinss »

Rich_Weiss

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 04:04:21 AM »
I've tried it in both the free and the pro versions and the results have been the same.  Of course I didn't expect it to work in the free version anyway. 

Perhaps the developers would prefer that we use a Management Server running the Avast Distributed Network Manager (ADNM), but short of that I can't seem to make it work with version 5 like I used to do with version 4, and since I've still not received a response from the support ticket that I submitted regarding this issue I can only speculate. 

Either way, at this time, my choices are to go back to version 4, or update each PC manually.  Neither solution gives me much joy.