Author Topic: Avast taskbar icon, exclamation point for a few seconds on boot.  (Read 21069 times)

waking

Re: Avast taskbar icon, exclamation point for a few seconds on boot.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
... will this issue be addressed/resolved with the next program update ...

While I don't speak for avast!, it should be clear from the prior comments
that there *isn't* anything that *needs* to be addressed or "resolved".

Consider it a useful indicator that you need to wait for all shields to be
installed and activated before commencing to use your computer.

anjandavid

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
I have the same problem, keep getting the red x followed by the yellow icon on every reboot, but after a while the avast ball goes orange again. then LAN connection appaired taskbar,my current version is 5.0.377.but one thing i want to know that i heard that melwere were effected in boot time??? is it true??

english is bad
sorry...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:23:51 AM by anjandavid »

gizbar

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
It's not a problem! As with all services/startup programs, it takes time to run them all, even if you have the latest and greatest core i7! As your system boots, it will load all of the drivers/startups/services as quickly (but sequentially) as it can. Your pc will not dive off to the internet to find the latest piece of malware just because Avast! hasn't finished loading!

Just how quickly do you need to get on the internet? If it's that quickly, then leave the PC on and don't shut it down.
If not, just wait until it finishes and then go on.

I would only worry if it doesn't clear after booting, then you need to find out why. Has something on Avast! failed, or is there a problem with malware or a virus?

regards, Gizbar.

r2d2

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
Just wondering if you guys might have noticed any difference since the virus update def 100127-0 - I'm pleased to report my system now starts up without displaying the warning triangle/exclamation mark so I'm just wondering if avast have included a fix for this issue in the latest update  :) would appreciate your thoughts  ;)

Thanks
r2d2

Mikos

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
That yellow exclamation point use to appear and then disappears once the shields are up and running. At least in my slower PC I did notice that. With my faster one though, well... Didn't notice. Perhaps it could be the update also that fixed it. Haven't seen it since yesterday.

rabies

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 10:16:53 AM »
I just upped to Avast 5.0.396 and having the same issue and something even more annoying. On my Win XP machine, it's not only the taskbar icon showing an exclamatoin point, but the Avast User Interface also automatically launches on boot while the various Avast services are being loaded. I'm pretty sure this is not a normal behavior. Is there any way to stop the UI from launching on startup?

rafaelluik

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
It's not a problem! As with all services/startup programs, it takes time to run them all, even if you have the latest and greatest core i7! As your system boots, it will load all of the drivers/startups/services as quickly (but sequentially) as it can. Your pc will not dive off to the internet to find the latest piece of malware just because Avast! hasn't finished loading!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

it's not only the taskbar icon showing an exclamatoin point, but the Avast User Interface also automatically launches on boot while the various Avast services are being loaded. I'm pretty sure this is not a normal behavior. Is there any way to stop the UI from launching on startup?

You have a problem... :-\

Try that:
For Vista / Win7: Go to C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Tip: Paste this address to the search field at the Start Menu:
%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For XP: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your_username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If the Avast icon is there simply delete it.

If Avast icon isn't there...

Run msconfig.exe and go to the 4th tab of the window
Seek for avastUI.exe startup entry. If it the "command" doesn't contain /nogui at the end of it that means you will need to uninstall Avast and then install Avast again (download it again to prevent errors).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:09:50 PM by rafaelluik »

rabies

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
For XP: Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your_username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If the Avast icon is there simply delete it.

If Avast icon isn't there...

Run msconfig.exe and go to the 4th tab of the window
Seek for avastUI.exe startup entry. If it the "command" doesn't contain /nogui at the end of it that means you will need to uninstall Avast and then install Avast again (download it again to prevent errors).

I appreciate the tips, but unfortunately the problem still persists. Even with a full Avast 5 reinstallation, the User Interface still auto launches on boot. I just hope this bug can be remedied in future program updates.

norel

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »
Has anyone gotten any closer to figuring out why it does this?

I recently installed 5.0.462 on my mom's XP SP3 machine and it's doing this, but it doesn't do it on mine with Vista.

If I disable all Status Bar monitoring it still does it which makes me think it's not the result of a monitoring function, but possibly the icons themselves located in AvastUI.exe showing as the user interface loads.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
It's the avast loading... I think it's everything normal.
The best things in life are free.

Hally

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
Hi  :)

As to the exclamation point over the Avast taskbar icon for a few seconds anybody have the same situation?

Me!
Yellow Triangle with an Exclamation Mark  :o
It seems to be caused when Avast 5 starts up before..
1) Internet Connection
2) Firewall Starting Up

Don't have this problem with my - Desktop
However...
I do have this problem with my - Laptop  ::)

The only real difference between my - Desktop & Laptop...
My Laptop starts up much faster than my Desktop does.
1) Because my Laptop only has One User Account - & - Desktop Has Two!
2) The Laptop just does start up much faster  ;D

So I'm Presuming  :-\
The problem doesn't happen with my Desktop...
Because everything like - Internet, Firewall - & - Avast 5
All have just that little bit longer to wake up on start up  :D

Note: So Far.. Never seen an X .. Only The /!\

Hally
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:00:52 PM by Hally »

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
@ Hally

On my Win7 system avast! icon is immediately OK with no Exclamation Mark   8)

On my XP Pro system avast! icon is delayed a bit so Exclamation Mark shows for a short while.

@ norel

What are the system specifications of your mom's machine as to CPU speed an type and how much RAM does the system have?

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
I have same problem here,but,my orange triangle with exclamation mark,remain all the time! Not disapear...message is : one shield is not active...but all 3 shields apear active in on position...on Windows SP3 Lenovo  S 10E ...thanks!

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
I think a new topic might have been better than reviving a nearly 6 year old one.

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »
Sry,but ,today I reactivate my mobil laptop,and I updated AVAST...last time I update AVAST on this device was in september 2014...work ok,but I have this issue...