Author Topic: Avast 5 fishtails when I select "Ask if an update is available"  (Read 2553 times)

AkagiKong

Avast 5 fishtails when I select "Ask if an update is available"
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
Hello,

Is Avast 5 beta in disguise or is it a release candidate? In either case is there a way to prevent the hard drive fishtailing I experience when I select the "Ask when an updates is available" option? Also, I noticed, despite being in Silent/game mode Avast 5 still downloaded an update and put my system into a fishtail/stall. I'm up to, and over speed, on security/crypto and silent running.  "game mode" means, to me, cease and desist--run with what you got.

I've been through a lot of anti-virus software and firewalls, and nothing irks me more than some program popping-off on its own and informing me, after the fact, what it has done--one minute I'm in a speed boat and the next I'm dragging an SUV with its windows open.

I switch to Avast when version 4 came out. One of the main reasons I liked Avast 4 was the ability to opt-out of automatic updates without the hard drive constantly fishtailing and turning every task into a never ending story.

Thanks in advance.

WhiteZero

Re: Avast 5 fishtails when I select "Ask if an update is available"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
I'm sorry, but "fishtailing" is not a normal description used in computers. Could you please elaborate?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:51:59 PM by WhiteZero »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
Also Gaming mode means only that avast! doesn't display any popups that could interfere with the game.
But it doesn't mean that avast! won't update in this mode.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

AkagiKong

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
I edited out a paragraph by mistake...

WhiteZero, Fishtailing is commonly used on overclocking, gaming sites and many others concerned with getting the best performance out of your system as possible. Basically, it means my hard drive started spinning like crazy, but the game and my system froze. In fact the game crashed. I was running more than just the game at the time.

I presumed that since Avast 5 auto detected the registration it had also preserved my settings from Avast 4.

RejZoR, Avast 4 does not download updates if you use the ask setting, it periodically reminds you with a pop-up that an update is available.

Now, if anyone else is going to snip and snap as if they birthed Avast 5 themselves, don't bother posting. I'll use Avast 4 until they discontinue it and switch to something else.