Author Topic: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....  (Read 46102 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
I just use these 4:
AdBlock
FireGestures
Xmarks
GMail Notifier

That's it. Nothing else. And occasionally FireDownload for very slow servers.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

carbonize

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »
I'm a web developer so

Web Developer
Firebug
FireFTP

Also

Adblock Plus
Brief (RSS reader)
CS Lite (cookie control)
Fasterfox Lite (can be uninstalled once it's been used)
FireGestures
Gmail Notifier
Last Pass
Pastego
Speed Dial
Text/plain

At present I have made my Firefox look like Chrome using Chromifox Extreme theme and the following extensions
Chromifox Companion
Compact Menu 2
Download Statusbar
Fission (but then Chrome doesn't have a progress bar).
Link Target Display
Locationbar2 (I recommend this one and they should build it in)
Personal Menu

I think Firefox should actually add things like Paste & Go and Locationbar to the core Firefox code as every decent browser supports Paste & Go and location bar just makes phishing that little bit harder (so long as the people actually look at the url bar).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:27:30 PM by carbonize »

Offline polonus

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »
Hi folks,

Whenever you are concerned about the Google privacy issues, then use the following add-on in Firefox or Flock:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60333/

Who is using this extension?

Info: http://lifehacker.com/5452343/googlesharing-anonymizes-your-google-experience

And a free and hidden VPN service is offered here: http://lifehacker.com/5334770/itshidden-offers-free-and-anonymous-torrenting

polonus
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:05:37 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

carbonize

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
I seem to remember something years ago, might of been an add on, that sent random search queries to the big search engines to basically make any information they did keep on you useless.

Hermite15

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
Firefox 3.6: already 3 million downloads
hxxp://bestsalesdealsbargains.com/firefox-3-6-already-3-million-downloads/0219
(that's a "bestsales site", so I deactivated the link, but the info they give is confirmed)
http://micro.lemondeinformatique.fr/actualites/lire-firefox-36-3-millions-de-telechargements-en-moins-de-24-heures-2950.html

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »
I don't think firefox will have a grim future. okay they are running out of ideas, but security is still needed.

As said earlier, as long Linux and IE exists, firefox will be there.

I may say google chrome is weak for now compared to firefox because of chrome's poor security.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

carbonize

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Still don't understand why Google have decided to install Chrome in the user directories and not program files.

Hermite15

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
Still don't understand why Google have decided to install Chrome in the user directories and not program files.

it's sandboxed there  ;D try to create a new user profile (Windows) and run Chrome, and you'll see what I mean; It's like Chrome was never installed  ;)
 Also, it's also impossible, even when backed up, to reuse a Google Chrome profile after a new Windows install, because Chrome uses EFS certificates to encrypt personal data... it will work only if you import the same cert again. But this explains unfortunately why they haven't been able to offer a master password option, passwords appear in clear to the user in the UI, while the data as said is encrypted with EFS.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:30:30 PM by Logos »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Well, good thing of doing that is that you can install Chrome on ANY sysem, even the one where you don't have admin rights. I've installed Chrome on my work computer and it worked fine. For Firefox, you have to use Portable version.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

carbonize

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »
It also means you then have to go and manually install it for every user on that computer. Maybe when they get to about Chrome 8 I might be tempted to try it as a viable alternative again.

Oh wait at the rate they change version numbers that will probably be about April.

Hermite15

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
It also means you then have to go and manually install it for every user on that computer. Maybe when they get to about Chrome 8 I might be tempted to try it as a viable alternative again.

Oh wait at the rate they change version numbers that will probably be about April.

Something there tells me that you're not interested at all in discussing about Google Chrome, what you just posted isn't relevant, isn't interesting, that's just bashing  ::)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »

My vote for what Chrome does, it prevent so much of the common problems in Windows, a news user account would have it's own program, when a user install chrome other user would not be annoyed, when you delete a user account it's programs would go away, also personal settings of each program would not conflict.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

carbonize

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 08:52:01 PM »
Something there tells me that you're not interested at all in discussing about Google Chrome, what you just posted isn't relevant, isn't interesting, that's just bashing  ::)

Funny as that sounds like a good description of you talking about Digsby.

Microsoft is soon going to release an update that will offer to install one of several browsers on the computer. Unless they are going to offer this every time you make a new account on that computer you are going to have to manually install Chrome for each account you make. Whilst I only have the one account on this computer I have worked on computers with anything up to four accounts. It also means that on a network using roaming profiles you again have to install it for every user rather than just on every machine.

carbonize

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:30 PM »
At the end of the day each method of installing has it's good and bad points just as each web browser has it's good and bad points. You try different web browsers and stick with the one you find most comfortable and user friendly. I have the four major browsers on here (IE8, Firefox, Chrome and Opera) and just find Firefox easiest to use and confiure. But that's just me and some people don't want to be tweaking and so they will like IE or Chrome. People who like a ridiculous amount of tweaking will probably like Opera.

Chrome
Pros:
Everything treated as a separate process
Simple to use

Cons:
Wipe your private data and you lose all your extension settings
Can use a lot of memory

Firefox
Pros:
Lots of add ons and themes
Can configure pretty much everything

Cons:
Uses the same engine for the gui and web rendering
New releases stop your extensions working

And so on.

Hermite15

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
Funny as that sounds like a good description of you talking about Digsby

I should have added that to my last post (expected answer) because I knew exactly that you were gonna post it. If you put on a same level that piece of crap called Digsby with Google Chrome, that there's not much to add or discuss...with you.