Author Topic: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....  (Read 46334 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Future for Firefox browser looks grim....
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi FwF,

I have Chrome with Adblock+ with the Element Helper, just like I have it in Fx, and I wished we had the Click and Clean extension ported for Fx,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

pinnacle

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »
those Firefox Personas are terrible when you install them half the theme is cut off, It is a Real Piece of Garbage.

Hermite15

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
Chrome has three ad blockers available for it via http://chrome.google.com/extensions

Need to be using the beta versions though.

Yeah, but they don't really block the ads.  They are still downloaded, just are not shown.  ABP actually blocks them from being downloaded.

Chrome has AdBlock. Is this not the same thing?

no it's not the same. It's opensource so anyone can pickup the software and do something with it, even call it the same name. BTW there was an "adblock" (from a first developer) before "adblockplus" for firefox, and adblock plus is based on it. I'm using AdThwart in Chrome so I don't know how "adblock" behaves and from from I've seen with the one I use, ads are just hidden, but they're indeed downloaded (firewall tells, taskmanager in chrome tells I think,must check...element view must talk too, and sometimes ads appear very quickly before disappearing) while in Firefow adblock plus blocks ads directly on the network. Not the same level of protection  ;D also take a look at the screen shot, that tells it all  ;)

@ Polonus: I think you gave me a link a while ago...how did you manage to port adblock+ and element hiding helper to Chrome ?

@ Polonus again: just installed Click&Clean, fantastic  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:10:01 PM by Logos »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Chrome has three ad blockers available for it via http://chrome.google.com/extensions

Need to be using the beta versions though.

Yeah, but they don't really block the ads.  They are still downloaded, just are not shown.  ABP actually blocks them from being downloaded.

Chrome has AdBlock. Is this not the same thing?

no it's not the same. It's opensource so anyone can pickup the software and do something with it, even call it the same name. BTW there was an "adblock" (from a first developer) before "adblockplus" for firefox, and adblock plus is based on it. I'm using AdThwart in Chrome so I don't know how "adblock" behaves and from from I've seen with the one I use, ads are just hidden, but they're indeed downloaded (firewall tells, taskmanager in chrome tells I think,must check...element view must talk too, and sometimes ads appear very quickly before disappearing) while in Firefow adblock plus blocks ads directly on the network. Not the same level of protection  ;D also take a look at the screen shot, that tells it all  ;)

@ Polonus: I think you gave me a link a while ago...how did you manage to port adblock+ and element hiding helper to Chrome ?

@ Polonus again: just installed Click&Clean, fantastic  ;)

OK, I see what you mean. Ta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/business/media/04link.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

gdiloren

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:19 PM »
Don't know what's the fuss about. Some personas are good (most :'( are bad, weird). I'm conventional and feel more secure with Firefox 3.6 with No Script and a battery of extensions more or less needed. I don't care if it's 5-10 seconds slower than Chrome, it's secure and reliable and the only real alternative to Microsoft IE 8. ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:04:12 PM by gdiloren »

carbonize

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »
Just for the hell of it here is a screenshot of my Firefox tricked out to look like Chrome. I resized it to 1024x768 to make a more decent sized screenshot. Yes I have a lot of buttons across the top but then I have no statusbar.

Hmm I'd usually have the Webdeveloper toolbar hidden.

gdiloren

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
 :) Well, it looks more like default theme in personas. Here is what FF looks on my PC Well, actually the yellow areas should look black, it's because now it's transparent (I touched it with the mouse) and my desktop is yellow on background. :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:50:39 PM by gdiloren »

carbonize

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »
Could you have any more toolbars?

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Probably, but he is only using essential ones in that persona ;D

I definitely a less is more sort of guy when it comes to browser clutter.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

twl845

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »
Firefox Personas is really weird because there is no good design...All of them are tasteless!

I am not impressed! Maybe you are
The problem with most of the personas is that most of the design is on the left side of the screen where all the printing is and you can't see the design.  :'(

carbonize

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
I definitely a less is more sort of guy when it comes to browser clutter.
Agreed. A friend of mine uses Opera and has the tabs going vertical seeing how most sites are designed to be 1024 wide and like most of us he is on widescreen. I just think it looks stupid when you only have a single tab or two open.

gdiloren

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
It's even nicer on default style (personas) ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »
Not impressed!  It is not like Chrome. Is that you call a theme?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:03:01 AM by Chris Thomas »

gdiloren

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:23 AM »
 :D All right!!! You convinced me to give it a try to Chrome and YES it is fast, it starts and loads double the speed of FF. For security, I may solve it using it only sandboxed and anyway by using Avast web shield you are already somewhat protected. Only problem some online banking site are only recommending FF and IE 8. But Chrome can load and  can perfectly handle these https pages too. I guess it's a question of being accustomized to it. ;D

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:14 AM »
@ gdiloren

If you get the beta then you can try out themes and lots of extensions  8)

But I use both Firefox and Chrome ;D