Author Topic: Avast can't do this!!!  (Read 8386 times)

gate1975mlm

Avast can't do this!!!
« on: June 21, 2004, 02:32:18 PM »
I was just wondering why Extendia AVK can stop a file with a Virus before its even downloaded but Avast can't? Not that its really a big deal because as soon as I would try to open it on my desktop Avast will catch it anyway. But it would be kind of cool if Avast could do the same thing. Will this ever be added? The files on this site can all be stopped before you  even download them when using Extendia AVK.

http://eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
Beside that one thing I still like Avast a lot better and thats why I am buying it!  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Avast can't do this!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 02:46:47 PM »
Hello!

Move the Sensitivity Slider to High in Standard Shield provider. This will enable detection for copied/moved/renamed files. Normal checks the files only when you try to open it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

gate1975mlm

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:50:28 PM »
Ok that worked for one of the files but the other 3 still can download with no Virus Warning.

whocares

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 03:14:23 PM »
I was just wondering why Extendia AVK can stop a file with a Virus before its even downloaded

it can't really: ANY file has to be downloaded before scanning, even if an AV uses some sort of Proxy/Internet filter

but the other 3 still can download with no Virus Warning.

This is probably because they are archives which avast's AV-Shield doesn't & shouldn't scan....
Read in the User's FAQ on how to enable archive scanning for the Resident Shield ( = On-access)
-> "DefTasks.xml - Scanning archive files…":
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818;start=15

But this  
a) is really unnecessary
b) can slow down your computer quite a bit..

;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 03:29:17 PM »
Actually you don't need archive scanning. Its just a waste of CPU time and memory. Files are scanned anyway when you extract them or wish to access them directly from the archive (they are extracted in TEMP folder and there are again scanned by avast!)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Kobra

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 04:01:39 PM »
Actually I think Avast can do it, just set the on-access up to scan for "*" and it will.

MKS also stops those archived files, merely clicking on them stops them as well, and its instantaneous.  So depending on the product, and your PC, it actually doesn't slow anything down to a measurable level.

But I believe you can set Avast up to do this.  I'll check later.  :D

gate1975mlm

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »
Ok but I guess since there really is no need for this then I will not inable it anyway.

Thanks for the info. :)

Kobra

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 05:16:53 PM »
Yea its surely picked up once its unarchived anyway, so kinda pointless.

But still nice to know it can do it, which Avast can. =)

gate1975mlm

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 08:48:22 PM »
Actually I think Avast can do it, just set the on-access up to scan for "*" and it will.

MKS also stops those archived files, merely clicking on them stops them as well, and its instantaneous.  So depending on the product, and your PC, it actually doesn't slow anything down to a measurable level.

But I believe you can set Avast up to do this.  I'll check later.  :D
Ok by doing what you said it now stops 2 of the 4. But it still can't stop the .zip ones. How do you stop them? Again I know its not a big deal but I was just wondering. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 08:48:41 PM by gate1975mlm »

honyak122

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 10:18:24 PM »
"Beside that one thing I still like Avast a lot better and thats why I am buying it!"

I have AVK but use avast/home instead because AVK really can cause a slowdown on programs such as adaware, spybot s&d etc., and mozilla loading if you run both realtime  AV engines and even with one engine (KAV) running it bogs down adaware and spybot.

I use it as an on-demand scanner or if avast can't repair or delete a virus, which by the way has not happened yet.

IMHO you made the right choice!

Also, AVK's support is somewhat questionable on support, last time I e-mailed them on june 15 about a simple question, I received a reply today, hmmmmm
They do not have a great forum like avast, whrere you can get help with any problem, usually pretty fast from my observations.

I am using avast/home for now but when this current liscense is up, I plan to buy the Pro version if it continues to work so well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 10:19:37 PM by honyak122 »

Kobra

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »
AVK definately can cause slowdowns of programs loading, this is 90% the cause of the Kaspersky engine in it, as the RAV engine is very speedy and light.  You can avoid this with AVK by putting the on-access scanner on "User Defined" then entering your own extensions for things you want scanned.  Doing this, you can run it on even 500mhz machines with zero slowdowns, and AVK uses less than 8,000k of ram, and almost no CPU time.  But this does take some configuration!

With that being said, AVK support is *ZERO*.  The US version is licensed from the German branch, who really handle everything. But buying the US version means you have to deal with the US guys, who basically are a tiny company, and offer no support whatsoever.  This is why I seldom recommend AVK to people.  Now if you can handle zero support, and can handle tweaking it, then there simply is no better protection available, the double-check RAV+KAV engine system, with double heuristics and double definitions is un-matched - and its only $29.00..   If you need help tweaking it, PM me and i'll run you through it, i've had a AVK license for awhile now.

With that being said, my "Shortlist" of recommended AV's is pretty short, and KAV nor AVK aren't even on it for various reasons.  But I assure you, Avast is on it, and one of the biggest reasons is continued and rapid product support and development by the Avast team.  That speaks VOLUMES for the people behind this product, and their commitment to it.  Quality support in the AV business is extremely difficult to find.   I recall recently, trying to get support for DrWeb - their website is basically down now - so I emailed them some questions/issues, and got a reply back that said "Who yuu? say self who and might help but not really"...  Uhh, whats that mean?   ???

honyak122

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 11:33:57 PM »
Thanks Kobra,
I would be interested in being educated on AVK, I am preparing to leave on vacation but will definately PM you when I return next week.
You are absolutely correct about tech support for AVK, it cannot touch what what avast has in this forum.

gate1975mlm

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 12:27:47 AM »
Ok by doing what you said it now stops 2 of the 4. But it still can't stop the .zip ones. How do you stop them? Again I know its not a big deal but I was just wondering. Thanks  

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 12:55:50 AM »
Ok by doing what you said it now stops 2 of the 4. But it still can't stop the .zip ones. How do you stop them? Again I know its not a big deal but I was just wondering. Thanks  

A zip file in itself is not a danger until you try to unzip its contents and clcik on the payload file, etc.

If you save the eicar zip attachment to your HDD and then enter the directory in windows explorer and then single click on the zip file and see what happens.

Or try to double click on the (eicar) zip attachment in your email program and see what happens.

The simple act of a zip file getting through is not a problem, just my opinion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kobra

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 12:56:49 AM »
I'll check later tonight, I can't right now. A few CD's with 25,000+ viruses arrived in the mail today from an overseas pal, and I want to run a couple AV's through it right away.   ;D

I'll send any that Avast misses, to Avast, obviously, but after I see they've caught up.. LMAO

Letcha know later!