Author Topic: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?  (Read 57699 times)

x1anar1x

Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:32:23 AM »
I don't know if it's just me or after I downloaded/Updated Avast 4.8 to Avast 5.0 I seemed to have gotten slower on my computer and after i start up i seem to freeze after 5-10 minutes from the startup. Avast 5 is working fine and everything's good. When my computer freezes up i can move my mouse but everything else seem "frozen". I then manually restart the computer by Pressing the ON button.

Is it just me or is there something wrong?

-I'm new by the way, Name's Anar :P

coolsilver

Re: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:00:09 AM »
It was an issue I had in beta. There are others with the same issue relating to problems with Cybermedia DVD loading their DVD drivers and things

If you can make a memory dump and talk to Igor or Vlk, they could look at it and try to fix what is causing it.

Most systems see some slowdown after the first couple reboots as you cache is rebuilding. But shouldn't freeze your pc.

cazoza

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »
my pc, also slows down when i try to install avast 5 pro. And the worst part is that i cant stop the shields , and i need to uninstall it. So the only way i can use avast 5 is with the free version and my pro key. Also i lost the internet connection. And i have done more than 8 boots and everything keeps the same, my pc not responding. Also i have created a record of my problems during setup, but nobody have answered my problem. So i will stick to v5 FREE, because is the only way i can use v5 of avast antivirus.

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:48 AM »
I have the same problems previously. But clean install helps me out (with avast uninstall utility).
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

cazoza

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:56:48 AM »
Well i have tried it also, but no sucess. I only have 5 free, but registered with my pro 4.8 key. Is there a way to upgrade 5 Free to pro, with 4.8 pro key??

x1anar1x

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:22:30 AM »
Well the thing is i already Downloaded Avast 5 Free Version, previously known as the Home Edition. But like after every start up my computer just freezes and nothing seems to work but my mouse moves fine. This only started happening AFTER avast 5 was Downloaded and Running. Also My computer seems a bit slow, but what can i do to fix this problem? UNinstall and then REinstall?

PhilR

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
Try removing the Behaviour Shield (you can reconfigure Avast 5 from Add/Remove Programs).  Please tell us if that resolves the problem for you.

lister

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
Same problem here. Then takes couple of reboots to get to the stage where i can uninstall (reboot) then install 4.8 (reboot).

Tried reinstalling again and it either doesn't finish the install (reboot). then freezes the PC or seems to install fine (reboot) then doesn't run at all.

All times i unstalled 4.8 first (reboot) and a couple of times ran the cleanup script after(reboot).

Just wondering if 4.8 still be updated for the foreseeable future and when serial runs out will new serials be accepted?

kingbob

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
avast 5.0 freezes my windows xp sp3 and my vista sp2 system i had to uninstall it useing safe mode because it would not all the system to boot up to desktop it just kept freezing up

x1anar1x

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
I also noticed that After it freezes i reboot by pressing the ON button and then my computer works fine. It's been like this for a couple of days, 1st time i open computer, freezes, i then reboot, then it works fine. Weird...

mokkaman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »
YUP AVAST 5 PRO SUCKS..i got back to 4.8

newuser1

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »
Same problem here. Installed new version yesterday and computer kept freezing when I was trying to configure settings.
Task Manager wouldn't work, Icons on desktop wouldn't work, and icons in tray wouldn't work. Only cursor was movable but nothing would click.
Couldn't even reset computer I had to switch it off.

After leaving it on all night (always do) this morning everything was frozen again, had to switch the computer off and on again to regain control.

Nothing about it showing in Event Viewer. I haven't installed anything else for weeks.

Still got another 6 months of subscription otherwise I'd uninstall it and get another AV.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:11:25 AM by newuser1 »

x1anar1x

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
NewUser1: Task Manager wouldn't work, Icons on desktop wouldn't work, and icons in tray wouldn't work. Only cursor was movable but nothing would click.

That is exactly what happens to me! I am not alone :D

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
I also noticed that After it freezes i reboot by pressing the ON button and then my computer works fine. It's been like this for a couple of days, 1st time i open computer, freezes, i then reboot, then it works fine. Weird...

It is indeed wierd as it happens on my XP Pro system regularly. 

I tried removing some shields to see if the system did not have enough RAM and it is still failing at first boot up in the morning.

I am only running File System, Web, IM, Network, Script shields and Process Virtualization

I think I will un-install avast! Pro and try avast! Free for a few days.

I will keep avast! as I know the problem will be fixed.

despuesvengo

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
unfortunately I noticed the pc started to go slow while browsing (6 mega connection)...do not know why...but it does. It was a clean install of Avast 5...no problems with avast 4.8 home edition...so I have to go back to it.

will wait a little to go back to 5 if there is something avast perhaps might fix.

???