Author Topic: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?  (Read 57689 times)

twl845

Re: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I work on other people's computers a LOT.  I have installed avast 5.0 on three different Windows XP SP3 32bit machines, and I had the same result all three times.  The computer runs fine when I use it, but when left running over night, everything except the cursor is frozen in the morning.  I am going to have to uninstall 5.0 and re-install 4.8 until the problem is rectified.  I have also installed 5.0 on one Windows Vista 64bit, and two Windows 7 64bit machines and it runs flawlessly.  Out of the three XP machines, one is a Pentium IV with hyper threading, and two are AMD X2 machines running Windows XP 32bit.  All machines have Comodo firewall, and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.
The problem seems to be MBAM Pro set to start with Windows. Your observation with the overnight thing is news. If you deselect Start with Windows in MBAM, you may see the problem disappear.

fhoegler43

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
I downloaded 5.0377 free last week and installed over 4.8 on my XP SP3 and my computer started  to crash, completely lock up. Had to hold power button, control alt delete didn't work. Decided to uninstall using an uninstall program. It started back up, No indication program was on computer in windows uninstall. Could not use System Restore, went back a month of points and no luck. I then reinstalled 5 and an uninstall window came up and clicking that uninstalled the program. I downloaded and reinstalled 4.8 and everything is working again. I hope someone at Avast is monitoring this forum. Avast 5 seems to be a disaster at least on XP. Been using avast for may years. I will not upgrade to 5 until Avast updates and everyone here checks it out to be OK.

YoKenny

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
Thanks!
Maybe delaying the service would help too?

Do this for XP only as Vista and Windows 7 uses Automatic (Delayed Start)

Open regedit (Start -> Run -> regedit), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Create a new DWORD value (right-click in the right-hand panel, choose New -> DWORD Value).
Name it delayservicestart and set its value to 60 hex (96 decimal)

@ ricsherm

That is a new symptom and I will leave my XP Pro system on overnight to see what happens.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:01:48 PM by YoKenny »

newuser1

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
Got up this morning and computer had frozen AGAIN overnight, so it's got nothing to do with start up program conflicts in my case anyway.

The only common theme seems to be having MBAM installed also.

Anyhow I'm uninstalling Avast 5 and going back to version 4.8 which was great.

I hope someone from Avast is reading this thread, a reply from them would be good.

Avastfan1

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:24 AM »
I also have MBAM 1.44 active. I hope to Christ that this is not the problem?

Avast 4.8.1368 and MBAM 1.44 resident always co-existed nicely together?

I agree that the eerie silence from Alwil is not good.........

Numskull

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:24 AM »
I am experiencing this problem on 3 separate machines, all running MBAM.  Upgraded from 4.8 to 5.  Looking to revert back to 4.8 due to what looks like compatibility issues.  Cant be a coincidence that users with MBAM running are freezing up.

fblais

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 01:47:58 AM »
The problem seems to be MBAM Pro set to start with Windows. Your observation with the overnight thing is news. If you deselect Start with Windows in MBAM, you may see the problem disappear.
Exactly!
I unticked the option and rebooted.
Then I was able to install AVAST 5 very smoothly!
It's presently doing a background quick scan...
I posted a message on MBAM's forum about this apparent incompatiblity between MBAM real-time and AVAST 5.

Now, which is the culprit, MBAM or AVAST 5?  :)

Best regards,
François

twl845

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32:55 AM »
Exactly!
I unticked the option and rebooted.
Then I was able to install AVAST 5 very smoothly!
It's presently doing a background quick scan...
I posted a message on MBAM's forum about this apparent incompatiblity between MBAM real-time and AVAST 5.

Now, which is the culprit, MBAM or AVAST 5?  :)

Best regards,
François

To probably answer your question, I looked back to the date I purchased MBAM Pro and checked it to "start with Windows". The date was December 24th. I immediately started having the problem and posted it in the MBAM forum that day. I installed Avast! V5 on January 20th, the day after it was released. So it has to be a MBAM problem.
After delaying MBAM start for 2 minutes and not having the problem re-occur, I thought the problem was solved. I just booted up after all that, and the desktop froze. Enough. I deselected "Start with Windows" and made MBAM on demand again for good. I then re-made my SAS the real time anti-spyware again.

newuser1

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:53 AM »
Has to be an Avast problem, MBAM and Avast played nicely before then Avast releases a new version and computer freezing problems start.

It may have nothing to do with MBAM but it's too much of a coincidence if it isn't.

I've uninstalled V5 and gone back to 4.8, only time will tell I guess.

Alwil have got a few months to get it right then my registration expires and I go elsewhere.

Timmi.C

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 11:53:41 AM »
I also had these problems. I disable this function and work fine and fast.  :D

twl845

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
Has to be an Avast problem, MBAM and Avast played nicely before then Avast releases a new version and computer freezing problems start.

It may have nothing to do with MBAM but it's too much of a coincidence if it isn't.

I've uninstalled V5 and gone back to 4.8, only time will tell I guess.

Alwil have got a few months to get it right then my registration expires and I go elsewhere.
When I purchased MBAM I was using a different AV. There was no Avast in my computer. As I said, I contacted the MBAM forum and started a thread that went on for a few days, working with a MBAM guru. He figured that there was too much loading at boot up, so we unchecked a few apps in Autorun's logon tab. Then I installed Startup Delayer and set MBAM to load 2 minutes after everything else had loaded. That fixed the problem. It wasn't until 3 weeks later that I installed Avast!5. There was one instance after I installed Avast when I got another freeze, but clicking "start Avast after other services have loaded", in the Troubleshooting tab of Avast! seemed to do the trick until yesterday. Now MBAM isn't loading any more, so we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

georgermct

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
Add me to the list of unable to use Avast 5. :'(

Tried to use it on Vista SP2 x32.  I did not change any settings (except the voice sounds)...everything right out of the box (just the way I used 4.8--if you NEED to change seetings for it to work then I'm very concerned because you should NOT have to change anything...it should just work like EVERY past version of Avast that worked flawlessly).

Everything would seem to be working fine (no issues with computer slow downs) then all of a sudden I would get a blue screen that would scroll with a bunch of words (really quickly) then the computer would reboot by itself.

I tried it over 4.8 and even used the Avast removal tool and still had the same issue.

I look forward to an updated 5 that fixes all these issues.

nord

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
I don't know if it's just me or after I downloaded/Updated Avast 4.8 to Avast 5.0 I seemed to have gotten slower on my computer and after i start up i seem to freeze after 5-10 minutes from the startup. Avast 5 is working fine and everything's good. When my computer freezes up i can move my mouse but everything else seem "frozen". I then manually restart the computer by Pressing the ON button.

Is it just me or is there something wrong?

-I'm new by the way, Name's Anar :P

I don't know why your computer is slow, but my experience was similar. Running Avast 4.8 Home on a Thinkpad T40 and on an Acer Aspire Notebook with not problems. Uninstalled, scrubbed registry and installed 5.0 and it ran like the proverbial slug on both.

WHY?

Is it that the new Avast 5.0 is optimized for multiple core CPUs? Or no longer optimized for XP, as I run XP PRO on the ThinkPad and XP HOME on the netbook?

Went back to 4.8 Home for now until the dust settles with this new release. (just my 2 cents)

Avastfan1

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »
I'm running it on a Thinkpad 43 with Window$ XP Pro SP3.

Although I appreciate they must be working at a feverish pace, I wish there would be an official response from Alwil.

:( :( :( :(

x1anar1x

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
 All these comments/concerns/advice is GREATLY appreciated not only to me, but to others that are having this problem, now 1 thing i also noticed too i do have MalwareBytes also and it starts up when Windows starts up, so maybe there is some sort of connection with this?