Author Topic: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?  (Read 57690 times)

Offline Hopper15

Re: Avast 5 - Computer Freezes up/Slow when start up?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
I'm keeping Avast 4.8 for now. I have Mbam Pro and I don't want any problems with my system updating to 5.0 avast.
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

Avastfan1

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2010, 11:31:01 PM »
I have to agree with newuser1.

I want to keep MBAM 1.44 resident protection running.

It worked fine with 4.8.1368, so why can't it function with 5.0.396?

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2010, 11:43:16 PM »
Exactly, if Mbam resident protection worked well in 4.8.  Why doesn't it work well for this great updated 5.0?  Avast has to get this bug sorted out or they will lose some of their paying customers.

Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

twl845

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2010, 12:38:06 AM »
If you are running MBAM in real time you will have the problem until you revert back to on demand. You might also go to settings in Avast! and go to trouble shoot and check "Load Avast! services only after loading other system services."

Why should I have to disable features on MBAM because there is a problem with Avast? Alwin should get THEIR act together and fix THEIR stuff-up, also I leave my computer running 24/7 so the 'Load Avast.....................'  fix is totally irrelevant for me.

I see the feedback from Alwin is still zero, ignoring the problem won't make it go away.
While we wait for a fix we have two choices. But since you run 24/7 you don't have a problem unless you reboot. So hence my suggestion.  ;)

x1anar1x

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
If you are running MBAM in real time you will have the problem until you revert back to on demand. You might also go to settings in Avast! and go to trouble shoot and check "Load Avast! services only after loading other system services."

Interesting, so this is the cause of the problem. I hope they release another patch soon cause MBAM and Avast work like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Until then i will continue facing the Freezing problem ;o

sjwarrior

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
Having the same issue.  :( Wondering why Malware Bytes would have anything to do with it?? I have the free version of Malware bytes installed.. I guess I will go back to the older version of Avast... How do I get the Key from the new version to work with the old version???

Thanks,
Stephen

twl845

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
Having the same issue.  :( Wondering why Malware Bytes would have anything to do with it?? I have the free version of Malware bytes installed.. I guess I will go back to the older version of Avast... How do I get the Key from the new version to work with the old version???

Thanks,
Stephen
The free version of MBAM is not an issue. It's running the MBAM Pro in real time that causes the hangs (freezes). I wouldn't go back to 4.8 because there is a new Avast build beta about to be released allegedly fixing a lot of problems. If you leave your v.369 all you'll have to do is click Update.  :)

roverxk9

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Okay, I'm having this problem on Win7 64bit WITHOUT MBam pro. 

After updating to 5.0 and rebooting, it worked fine for at least another 24 hours.  Then this morning I was reading articles using FF and then my computer froze the same as many people described in this post.  Upon reboot it froze again, then once more.  (I'm in safe mode with networking support right now.)

Just wanted to give a heads up that Mbam cannot be the only conflict and its definitely not limited to WinXP.

I'll be downgrading to 4.8 as many others have, I just wanted to debunk Mbam as the problem.  I think part of these assumptions have to do with the population of people who spend time in a AV forum.  Chances are many of you have gone far beyond the normal user when it comes to protection.

James

roverxk9

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Since twl845 mentioned the new version beyond .369 would have fixes, I am trying the current version out: 5.1.889 

I was able to download it, install and choose "modify" to update instead of reinstalling while in safe mode.

So far, I've been able to boot my computer up in normal mode.  I'll post back when I run into an issue, if you dont hear anything more from me, chances are it resolved the issue.

Thanks for the thread.

James

pog_ROM

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
Avast 5 Free. Same issues as many are having here, sorry but theres no way Im upgrading to Pro with problems like this. It makes the computer completely unusable.

The problems really only started for me when I updated from 5.0.677 to 5.1.889. So I uninstalled and went back to 5.0.677. Unfortunately the damage had already been done. Its now having the same issue with 5.0.677.

Also, when I disable the Shields for a given period and then reactivate them I get mouse cursor movement but nothing else works. Go to open an app or task manager etc. Nothing happens.

This is REALLY annoying.

I would go back to 4.8 but alas you cant due to the Nag screens constantly asking you to update to v5.

Behavioural is not installed.
Load services before Avast is checked.

Neither did anything to fix the issue.

Does anyone have anyway to fix this properly? If this keeps up Im thinking of changing my AV tbh. A shame as Ive used Avast for over 5 yrs problem free. But I cant carry on like this, its no good at all.

Thanks.