Author Topic: Happy Camper Here!  (Read 2174 times)

MichaelDay

Happy Camper Here!
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
New Avast user. Previously, used Norton AV 2009. Norton AV 2010 had a conflict with Outlook 2003 as installed on my XP computer so when my subscription expired, I looked around for another antivirus program. I presently use Comodo Firewall D+, Sandboxie, FF 3.6, and surf from a limited user account.

I uninstalled Norton through add/remove. Then ran Norton's removal tool. Then manually removed left over files and registry entries after running CCleaner. Then I installed Avast 5.0.

The installation went without a hitch and I have had no problems with Avast or my computer since. The first thing I noticed, was that my computer was noticeably faster running Avast as opposed to Norton. Boot time was much quicker, browsing too. Program loading also faster. And, the problem I had experienced with gmail while using Norton (had to refresh the inbox before I could navigate to other folders) disappeared.

Since I had no previous versions of Avast and completely removed Norton prior to installation, I have experienced no conflicts and am very pleased about the improved performance. For those of you who have had problems with new installs, I suggest the problem is with a dirty system, as opposed to Avast. 

minsik

Re: Happy Camper Here!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »
Totally agree how Avast 5 is low on system demands and runs fine just doing its job in a quiet and minimal way.

My company branch and other branches are forced by HQ to use Symantec Corporate and its total crap. We have been crying out for years to get better hardware and yet are at the same time hamstrung with Symantec slowing down machines.  as an admin for dome 50 + machines with it on and a AV server its certain that i could never recommended Symantec to anyone i care about.

Its total restraint to go into work, power up the pc, wait 10 minutes for its doscan.exe to execute and then i can use the PC.

"Since I had no previous versions of Avast and completely removed Norton prior to installation, I have experienced no conflicts and am very pl_eased about the improved performance. For those of you who have had problems with new installs, I suggest the problem is with a dirty system, as opposed to Avast."

The above statement shows you are happy but its not really fair to some who may have had a clean system and still be having a problem or two. Myself I had 2 installs just fine but on the third it kept rebooting no matter how "clean" the system was before hand. With help from the forum i now have disabled behaviour mode and its running ok. There are still a few areas that might need a tidy up / fix in AVAST 5.0 but generally its excellent how 5 was rolled out and with so few problems.

I am sure Avast will work on those few areas and it can only get even better.

MichaelDay

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »

"The above statement shows you are happy but its not really fair to some who may have had a clean system and still be having a problem or two."

Agree. I guess I was being a little over enthusiastic after being rid of Norton.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
Yah, I HATE NORTON. I work at a computer store so I sell it but if someone asks me what I recommend I avoid norton as it's as bad as the bloatware installed on new PC's