Author Topic: Avast5 Free Proxy problems  (Read 6669 times)

yoda1888

Avast5 Free Proxy problems
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
Hi all

I don't know if that question has already been posted, but the proxy settings in that version does not work (updates too)
Each time i enter those informations, i re-enter in the settings ==> the proxy settings disappeared

Thanks for your help

yoda1888

Re: Avast5 Free Proxy problems
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
up

norel

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »
I'm also having an issue with the Proxy Settings. If I set it to "Direct Connection (no proxy)" then as soon as I close the window and reopen it, it's reset to "Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings)."

I'm using automatic updates and it's working just fine, but shouldn't it stay where I set it?  ???

norel

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:20:07 AM »
I think I fixed it with a Repair. Ran the repair and now it's working. Hopefully that all it was. :)

yoda1888

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
Yes it works when you repair, but you must adjust your proxy settigns here and not in the software
In the Repair, when i test connection with my proxy settings it does not work, but the updates works with the same settings in the software.

So, there is a problem.

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
1. Set i am permantly connected to the internet if on broadband.
2. Set direct connection no proxy and set update time interval to a low value. Mine is at 5 mins. Default is 240 mins.
See if that works! Been doing a few tweeking with the Avast 5 settings to get it how i like it to run.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
I haven't tried it recently because I don't need it, but there was already such a bug (proxy settings not retained) during the beta testing, I guess they haven't fixed it...just checked again, it keeps stuck on "use IE settings auto detect", so yeah that's still broken.

harrydemon117

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
I am also having a problem with the proxy settings on my Avast 5.0.377 version.  We have a proxy here at the college I attend, and it won't save the proxy settings.  It did update the virus definitions when I first installed Avast, but now it won't get updates automatically or manually.

When I change the proxy settings and click 'ok', then come back into that menu it has it selected back to 'Auto detect- use Internet Explorer settings'.

I even have the proxy setup in internet explorer to use the college's proxy, but it still won't get any updates either way.

What is the 'repair' thing you're talking about?  Can anyone post a link to this (if on a website) or is it part of the Avast software?

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
forget my last post here  ;) I started a new thread about that and I later found out that proxy settings changes are retained with Vista/Seven UAC off. So, disable UAC, reboot, change your proxy settings, re-enable UAC and reboot again.

ps: there's no actual "repair" function, that's just how we call the process of relaunching the setup process over an existing installation, and this can be done from the add/remove program panel (ie programs and features) Avast entry >>> either add/remove components from there, reinstall as is, or uninstall completely.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
I am also having a problem with the proxy settings on my Avast 5.0.377 version.  We have a proxy here at the college I attend, and it won't save the proxy settings.  It did update the virus definitions when I first installed Avast, but now it won't get updates automatically or manually.

When I change the proxy settings and click 'ok', then come back into that menu it has it selected back to 'Auto detect- use Internet Explorer settings'.

I even have the proxy setup in internet explorer to use the college's proxy, but it still won't get any updates either way.

What is the 'repair' thing you're talking about?  Can anyone post a link to this (if on a website) or is it part of the Avast software?

Log in as an administrator, change the Avast! proxy settings, and close the Avast! interface.  Restart Windows to be sure(although this step isn't always necessary).  When you log back into Windows, check the settings again.  They should be saved.

Go to Add/Remove Programs in an administrator account, select Change/Remove on Avast.  You will be presented with several options, one of which is Repair.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
As far as I know, the (non)storing of proxy settings should be fixed in 5.0.396.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
As far as I know, the (non)storing of proxy settings should be fixed in 5.0.396.

396 is the current build  ;D, and that's precisely still the one  with the non-storing issue.

my bad, it's indeed fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:56:45 PM by Logos »

harrydemon117

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »
Thank you very much Evangelists!  GOD the UAC is more of a hindrance sometimes than helpful lol.