Author Topic: web shield - question  (Read 3472 times)

Silent Assassin

web shield - question
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a way I can exclude a process from being scanned by web shield?

Thanks

Hermite15

Re: web shield - question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:24:27 PM »
a process  ??? can you be more specific? ...the web shield only scans web content, you can only exclude URLS and some types of files.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:26:49 PM by Logos »

Silent Assassin

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
a process  ??? can you be more specific? ...the web shield only scans web content, you can only exclude URLS and some types of files.
Thanks Logos for your interest in this topic ;).

My problem is that I want to use AVG Linkscanner alongside avast. However, as it turns out, they both conflict (that is the webshield and linkscanner). This is why, I would like to exclude Linkscanner's process(es) from being scanned by the web shield.

I asked this question in another thread but have had no reply ???.

Thanks

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
the LinkScanner process is not scanned by the web shield. What is scanned by the web shield is the traffic between LinkScanner and AVG online database I suppose, so it's that that you need to exclude if possible. Go to AVG forums and ask for servers addresses..otherwise, OK, deactivate your web shield first, launch your browser, and after a search look in your firewall activity what connections are made by the LinkScanner. Then go to DNSstuff ( http://www.dnsstuff.com/ ) to find out the corresponding URLS. Add these URLS to the webshield exclusion list, this could work...

edit: yeah, I don't think you can add an IP or an IP range to the webshield exclusion list, you need the exact URL...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:45:21 PM by Logos »

Silent Assassin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks Logos, I do appreciate your help and time ;).
I'll try this.

Silent Assassin

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »
otherwise, OK, deactivate your web shield first, launch your browser, and after a search look in your firewall activity what connections are made by the LinkScanner. Then go to DNSstuff ( http://www.dnsstuff.com/ ) to find out the corresponding URLS. Add these URLS to the webshield exclusion list, this could work...

edit: yeah, I don't think you can add an IP or an IP range to the webshield exclusion list, you need the exact URL...
Another problem I came across is that there are tens of different connections Linkscanner is making ???. But I'll handle that.... as long as you tell me how to transfer IP info into specific URLs on dnsstuff.com  ;D. I really don't know how to do it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:01:42 PM by Silent Assassin »

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
just enter an IP in one the first or the last box, hit enter and see the result page...

Silent Assassin

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Perhaps I've been doing something wrong but I could not get URLs out of IP addresses ???

Maybe I should modify the webshield.ini file?
An answer from the devs would be welcome 8) although I realize you must be hard at work now.

Best regards