Author Topic: Avast Free 5 questions  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Avast Free 5 questions
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
Have it installed at last (had to download uninstaller and boot in safe mode to remove old avast 4,
installing 5 just partly removed 5 first time, and then complained about not beeing able to install).

But I miss some things, and have some questions:

1)  How do I insert message signatures in only outgoing messages (no separate choices anymore).
     I do not need signatures in clean incoming, but would like in clean outgoing to advertise for avast! :-)

2)  You can select to scan document on open, or your own list of file-extensions. In 4 there was a standard
     extension-list you could select. That option is now gone. It's documents, own list or alle files only :-(

3)  In version 4 all sounds and voice-messages could be changed in Control Panel -> Sounds. Not anymore.
     Version 5 is for now only in english, but I have norwegian sounds/voice-messages. How do I add those?

4)  In version 4 one could turn on a yellow status line that appeared at the bottom of the screen.
     Had that enabled for mails to see that mails where really scanned when received and send.
     And it was informative too (as a notification on incoming mail). How do I get that back i version 5?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:03:31 PM by Lars-Erik »
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Free 5 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
1)  How do I insert message signatures in only outgoing messages (no separate choices anymore).
     I do not need signatures in clean incoming, but would like in clean outgoing to advertise for avast! :-)

Seems that this possibility is gone... even though I'm not sure if on purpose, or just as a side effect of the current GUI layout.

2)  You can select to scan document on open, or your own list of file-extensions. In 4 there was a standard
     extension-list you could select. That option is now gone. It's documents, own list or alle files only :-(

No, there's no standard extension list for scanning on open in v4 either.

3)  In version 4 all sounds and voice-messages could be changed in Control Panel -> Sounds. Not anymore.
     Version 5 is for now only in english, but I have norwegian sounds/voice-messages. How do I add those?

There's no Norwegian version of the GUI yet.
The English sounds are stored in C:\Users\All Users\ALWIL Software\Avast5\sounds\1033
(though they are not the same messages as they were in avast! 4).
I believe you can replace them, if you wish.

4)  In version 4 one could turn on a yellow status line that appeared at the bottom of the screen.
     Had that enabled for mails to see that mails where really scanned when received and send.
     And it was informative too (as a notification on incoming mail). How do I get that back i version 5?

Gone as well, I'm afraid.