Author Topic: Avast 5 SMTP Error  (Read 16539 times)

CiaraJansonFan

Re: Avast 5 SMTP Error
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Well, that didn't take long!  Adding my username and password to the SMTP settings WORKED!  It asked for password the first time, I told TB to remember it and then sent a second test message at which time TB didn't "bother" me with the password.

You're a good "camper" Logos and Merci Beaucoup for all the patience!

But still I wonder why Avast doesn't have a FAQ or install tip to tell folks about this...

8) . . .  :D . . .  ;D

Yes, it's worked for me too - first time I've ever used a username and password to SEND e-mail though!  :o

Thanks
Steven

bigaldoc

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:22 PM »
it is only 5min since the program release........every bug have not been discovered yet
Uh Oh, didn't mean that to be offensive and I hope you're not mad at a new poster!  I AM A HAPPY CAMPER with Avast and always have been.  I wouldn't jump ship for the world.  Yeah, you're right, it takes time.

Please be patient with me, Pondus...

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »
But still I wonder why Avast doesn't have a FAQ or install tip to tell folks about this...
because Avast cannot know in advance what your mail provider requires, and what email client you use. It's up to the mail provider to tell you about client settings. the only thing that's different when running avast mail scanner is the change of ports in the client for ssl connections, and that's an easy guess...don't know what the help files say about it. If you first get the message that Avast detected an sll connection and it can't scan it, you can trust that, it just means what it says, that your mail provider is using ssl (not talking about authentication now, just sending and receiving protocol). So to allow the mail shield to scan your mails, providing your server requires ssl, you must set the client (Thunderbird in this case) to non-ssl ports, because avast cannot scan, obviously, encrypted stuff. So the trick is to use a proxy, now integrated in avast mail scanner (V5 only) that will recreate the ssl connections between you and your mail server, and will also take care of the decryption with the client, Thunderbird >>> that's when it can scan the mails.
 Also, may be your mail server requires authentication now because it detects the man in the middle (avast mail proxy) no idea... still weird you didn't have to do that with V4....anyway it works now  ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »
Everyone in here is new to this program, so we will probably use 2010 to learn it......so in 2011 everything is a piece of cake   ;D
and then we will have 5.1 to worry about....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
<snip>

Try this link, http://www.avast.com/download-documentation, there is a quick start pdf you can download.

I don't know if this information is also in the help file, I'm an avast 5.0.377 virgin too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
<snip>

Try this link, http://www.avast.com/download-documentation, there is a quick start pdf you can download.

I don't know if this information is also in the help file, I'm an avast 5.0.377 virgin too.
that website is a bit misleading, it is only the top 3 pdf that is for V5 the rest is 4.8

bigaldoc

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip but there isn't any detailed discussion about SMTP servers in the Quick Guide.

Hey Jude

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
Hey there BigAl--reminds me of Married With Children show hehe....Glad you sorted out your e-mail issue.   :-*  These forums are great!~~!~!

Hey Jude

chileware

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »
I experienced a similar Thunderbird error that started yesterday, and only outgoing mail was affected. Whereas TB 2.0.0.23 was working fine on 20 January, on 21 January TB was reporting errors. I had made no changes on my system. Suspecting that my ISP changed something, I played with the security settings to no avail. I tried loading TB 3.0.1 but no improvement. Only after I turned off avast scans of outgoing mail could I send outgoing mail.

I can only imagine that the virus update 100121-0 must have changed something about the way avast 4.8 was behaving. It may be that your use of avast 5 is not really different from avast 4.8, and that the problem lies within the update itself.

With the avast scans of outgoing mail turned off, I can use either TB 2.0.0.23 or TB 3.0.1. It would be nice to resolve this problem so that the scan of outing mail could be turned on once again.

emgee

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
Sorry, I'm still getting it with TB 2.0. 

I try to send an email and it asks for the password for the SMTP server.  I used the password supplied by my ISP for that, and it still won't get past that stage when outgoing email scanning is on. 

In the Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings box in TB there's only space for a username, can't put password there.  Where do you mean exactly, when you talk about adding username and password to SMTP settings?  What am I missing here?

I tried the same password in Outlook Express (ticked the server requires authentication box, and added the same username and password as I tried to use in TB 2.0).  That works fine, suggesting the password is OK.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55573.msg471446#msg471446 + following posts - maybe that's of interest to you as well.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

emgee

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
Zyndstoff - I think you nudged me in the right direction, for which much thanks.

The server details are in Avast in mail Shield settings, Expert, SSL accounts (or similar menu names).  I had previously been confused about whether server settings were in Avast or TB.

First I tried to replace the one found automatically with one I rebuilt using exactly the same server names etc as in the main software.  Trouble is, it would re-add automatically the original entry, which it marked as having TLS encryption.  Simply editing this to "None" instead of "TLS" seems to have made it work.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »
If you set it to "none" in Avast-settings, no encryption will be employed.

Normally, you set your email-client to "none" - both, POP3/IMAP server settings and the SMTP server settings, additionally you set the standard ports in your email client.

In Avast, you then put in the correct server names for POP3/IMAP and SMTP, the correct encryption (SSL/TLS / STARTTLS) and the encryption ports (I believe 993 and 25).
Free MBAM Clear

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
BTW: it works well with TB 3.01... that's what I use. (see my signature)
Free MBAM Clear

emgee

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
If you set it to "none" in Avast-settings, no encryption will be employed.

Normally, you set your email-client to "none" - both, POP3/IMAP server settings and the SMTP server settings, additionally you set the standard ports in your email client.

In Avast, you then put in the correct server names for POP3/IMAP and SMTP, the correct encryption (SSL/TLS / STARTTLS) and the encryption ports (I believe 993 and 25).

Right - had another go, and it seems it's an ISP thing (Zen Internet) in my case.  The standard username is of format ZEN123456.  This works OK for email generally, but it appears that when you start to use secure connections, you need the full version, i.e. ZEN123456@zen.co.uk.

Once I got this working with TB set to send in TSL (outgoing Avast scanning off), it worked also with security in TB off and TSL set in Avast.  In fact, I also found that you don't need to specify a username in TB at all with this mail server (though you do need to be on their ADSL with one of their usernames to access it).