Author Topic: [Solved] Simple shield settings are too easily turned off..  (Read 3226 times)

spg SCOTT

[Solved] Simple shield settings are too easily turned off..
« on: February 25, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or not - If it belongs in the wishlist thread, I will put it there...

I have noticed that it is very easy to turn of the simple settings for the shields. (Things like the check box for the webshield that says 'Scan web (HTTP) traffic')

It is possible to simply uncheck the setting by moving just off of the settings button to the right. I have often accidentally unchecked these settings in the process of just re-activating the window...  :-\

So, personally, I feel this is a potential risk for users and should be changed. (If possible)

Maybe make it so that it is only changeable by clicking on the check box itself?

-Scott-

EDIT: Solved in pre-release version: 5.0.460 :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:15:22 AM by spg SCOTT »

Hermite15

Re: Simple shield settings are too easily turned off..
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
a solution would be that the password protecting "protection (expert) settings" would apply to those too, as they're in fact duplicates of what's found in expert settings

Another solution would be to add an option to protect basic settings too with the password. In the meantime you can include general UI access in the password protection scope, but that's not exactly what you're looking for I know. Once unlocked, it's still as easy to deactivate things accidentally, although I must admit that this doesn't happen to me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:58:21 PM by Logos »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
Indeed yes, or even just a confirmation message, as it can effectively be equivalent to turning off the shield, which has a confirmation message...

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
Just me and Logos then?

It's like having the button to turn the airbag in you car off right next to the radio button. You will accidentally turn it off when trying to change the radio station...and when you crash... :(

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
yes, it's getting harder and harder to get answers from Avast in threads like this one here... when at the contrary they're rather fast to react in a thread related to a new build being tested... I don't know, same goes with that thread about restore points which is really bad... I guess they're overloaded with work atm  ??? Don't get me wrong, I'm not sarcastic, well a bit yes... ;D but I know at the same time that they're working at improving the software, ie make it stronger and more stable.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »
Solved in pre-release version: 5.0.460

Now the settings are only active when above the words...

Thanks,

-Scott-