Author Topic: sending email problem v4.8  (Read 9702 times)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: sending email problem v4.8
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
Is the Mail Shield running ?
Is your virus db up-to-date (see Maintenance/Update) ?

DCheever

Re: sending email problem v4.8
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
Is this issue resolved? Is there a simple solution other than removing AVAST?

My problem appears to be the same: could no longer send e-mail via smtp.live.com starting January 21. Software: Outlook 2002 on Windows XP. AVAST was updated and PC restarted 6 hours ago. My laptop with Vista and without AVAST is still sending and receiving using Outlook to access the same MSN.com account.

Was able to run successful tests of the e-mail account settings in Outlook with the following settings:

Outgoing Server Tab
Check the box for: My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
Select the button for : Use same settings as incoming mail server
Advanced Tab
Set Incoming server (POP3) to 995
Check the box for: This server requires SSL…
Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to 587
Check the box for: This server requires SSL…

However, going to Outlook with these settings gave:

Task 'Microsoft Mail Server - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: ??0 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first'

Task 'Microsoft Mail Server - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7C) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server requires an SSL-secured connection. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, select the account, and then click Change. Click More Settings and then on the Advanced tab select This server requires an SSL-secured connection.  The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first'

TLS does not seem appear as an option in the menus I have looked at so far in Outlook 2002.

Thanks for clarifying my options.