Author Topic: After most recent update ver. 0306-0 SMTP now conflicts with port 25 (Outlook)  (Read 4945 times)

The MacKae

All was fine ... then auto update. Now Avast errors out with "Can not protect outbound mail due to conflict with Port 25". Port 25 is the Outlook port. I am running 2K with a PIII processor. Only other new software is Macromedia Fireworks and I find no conflict there

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Actually this is a new feature in the latest update - it warns you that there is a problem. Otherwise, you wouldn't know.

The problem is that another program in your system is already listening on port 25. Only one program can do this at a time. And because this is how the Internet Mail provider works (by default), it gives you a warning that it can't do its job.

It may be worth trying to find out which program is taking up the port. Don't you have a mail server software on this box? A mail proxy? A security filter? For instructions on how to find out the name of the process that has allocated the port, please see my post here: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=539 .

Hope this helps,
Vlk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 01:09:10 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

The MacKae

Thank you. I will check, but I believe my ftp uses that port, but it only uses it when active. That is why I originally ignored it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
FTP? Hardly. I really doubt FTP would ever want to listen on port 25, which is traditionally reserved for SMTP (e-mail) traffic.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.