Author Topic: DELETED DOCUMENTS I NEED  (Read 6349 times)

ohmygosh

DELETED DOCUMENTS I NEED
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:14:20 PM »
I downloaded the home edition version a few days ago and did an initial scan and found 2 viruses on my computer. i deleted them and along the viruses being deleted, it also deleted some very necessary documents that i use daily. can anyone help??? i hope someone has the answer for this problem.  thanks in advance. :-[ ???
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 02:16:54 PM by ohmygosh »

Delta

Re:DELETED DOCUEMENTS I NEED
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:30:37 PM »
I use Restoration from www.geocities.jp/br_kato/index.html to recover files deleted from the recycle bin, so it may work for you, but only if the deleted files haven't already been written over. Be careful if the documents are infected.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 09:32:11 PM by Delta »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:52:57 PM »
What do you mean, "it also deleted"? avast! doesn't delete files just randomly...
What was the virus name and where was it found? In those documents or elsewhere?

Stephan123

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 10:25:16 PM »
thanks for the tool.And i think it were macro virusses

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:34:01 AM »
That's bad... sounds like you shouldn't have used "Delete", but rather "Repair" when the virus was detected (or at least "Move to Chest"). "Delete" simply deletes the whole file...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:34:18 AM by igor »

ohmygosh

Re:DELETED DOCUMENTS I NEED
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 02:18:23 PM »
it is exactly how i said it happened...i deleted a virus and it also deleted some documents. i guess the documents were infected. so, yes, it does delete infected files if you delete a virus. i should have chose "repair" instead.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 03:58:29 PM »
Ohmygosh, is there a possibility of recovery if you use restoration tools. See 'Links' on my signature and browse a little. Better, if you can, start using another computer until you can recover that files. We can guide you...  :)
The best things in life are free.

ohmygosh

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 05:10:17 PM »
i have tried one restoration tool that another user mentioned but either i don't how to use it or it didn't work. would it delete the documents if they were infected also?? any other restoration tools available??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 10:38:54 PM »
Any other restoration tools available??

http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/REST2514.EXE

Restoration 2.5.14 [193k] W9x/2k/XP
Use it in a floppy, you do not have even to install it!  ;)

Comment: Didn't mean to get rid of a file? With this handy little app, you can restore files that have been deleted from the Recycle Bin (or deleted while holding down the Shift key) by mistake. Conversely, this program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. (You'd want to use this to delete confidential documents, possibly embarrassing files such as the love letters you wrote to your sixth-grade crush, and so on.) This is a standalone application, so you could even run it from a floppy disk if you didn't want to install it directly on your machine. Please note that even if a file seems to be restored, there is no guarantee that the contents are correct, so please check your files after you run the program. You will probably have the best results if you make your restoration attempts soon after you deleted the files.

Would it delete the documents if they were infected also?

No, it will restore the file, not delete ?!
Well, if your antivirus is enabled, it will scan the file and, if you set so, delete it again...
The best things in life are free.

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 10:18:34 PM »
PC Inspector   http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
I've read some have had good results using it.
-max