Author Topic: Avast 5.0.377  (Read 3907 times)

Marc999

Avast 5.0.377
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:01:40 AM »
System: Windows XP SP3, Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 2GB Ram.

Installed: Zone Alarm Free 8.0.298.000
I have not had any problems with Avast 4.8 and Zone Alarm.

Problem: Used uninstall utility to uninstall Avast 4.8, rebooted.  Installed Avast 5.0.377.  This is where the problems begin.

(1) Browsing through new Avast interface, I came across updates so I clicked on 'Update Program' to see what would happen.  Nothing happened, no updates.  System froze.  Ctrl -Alt-Del to end Avast, no luck.  Windows Explorer now froze.  Computer not responding, I had to manually turn off computer.

(2) Rebooted, computer now hangs on desktop with no icons and no task bar icons loading.  I left the computer for over 20 minutes in this state, nothing happened. Computer froze.  I had to manually turn off computer again.

(3) Rebooted into safe mode, used avast uninstall utility again, rebooted.  Installed Avast 5.0.377.  This time I was able to update the virus definitions. 

(4) I decided to reboot my computer again.  System takes well over 5 minutes to load desktop icons and taskbar icons.   I double click on Firefox icon to come to this website to discuss my problems.  System froze.  Ctrl-Alt-Del, cannot end Firefox process.  Windows Explorer freezes up again.  Once again, I had to manually turn off computer.

(5) Reboot computer, desktop and taskbar icons load in relatively shorter period of time than before.  That's good.  I'm now able to browse the internet....eureka.

Yet, I doubt this problem will go away on its own. 

Is there some 'shield' that may be causing a conflict?
Needless to say, this experience has been most frustrating.  I was a happy Avast 4.8 camper, with a computer that ran like a charm.   

Is there anyway to download Avast 4.8 somewhere?  I no longer have that installation file on my computer.  I'd wait for a fix, but I'm concerned that upon next computer reboot, my computer is going to hang at desktop or freeze during Firefox opening etc etc.

waking

Re: Avast 5.0.377
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:44:12 AM »
>Is there anyway to download Avast 4.8 somewhere?

You can try here:

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

Marc999

Re: Avast 5.0.377
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:08:47 AM »
Thanks, I found Avast 4.8 Home Edition.

Downloaded, uninstalled 5.0.377.  Re-installed 4.8.  Works like a charm again.  I'm happy, my computer's happy. 

I'll look at the new version again a few months down the road, when the kinks have been worked out.

leodim

Avast 5.0.377 Problems, 4.8 reinstall not perfect
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
My experience was similar to Marc999's. I uninstalled 5.0.377 because it did not work, but was then unable to install either AVG or Avira.  After a system restore, I was able to find and reinstall 4.8. But after inputting the new registration code, Avast says it does not recognize the code, although Avast seems to be working. This is unsettling after Avast working just fine for years -- and I didn't enjoy the hours of work needed [with no functioning anti-virus] to get back to a situation that still isn't 100%.