Author Topic: Things To Work on For Avast 5.0 and Tips  (Read 1836 times)

Jack 1000

Things To Work on For Avast 5.0 and Tips
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
Well,

I took the plunge and installed 5.0 over 4.8, which was easy, BUT there were some things that caused the computer to freeze about 5 times where I had to use the power button to shut down..........UGHHHH!

The Good Things:

1.) Registration was done within a minute after bootup.  It recognized my old key right away.

2.) Cool interface.

Things That Still Need Work in Program Updates (Came THIS close to uninstalling.)

a.) The Help Center often freezes when you are trying to find information about the program.

b.) In browsing the new GUI, I had about 5 total computer freezes.  

Tip:  A Check Disk command prompt run seemed to solve the problem, but man, it was frustrating!  What users need to do is give Avast 5 plenty of time after a boot-up like a good 1-2 minutes or so before you start browsing the GUI or the program MAY crash.  A future update is needed to resolve this.

Oh, and under Basic Settings, you should uncheck that thing about enabling the advanced graphic interface.

It's VERY touchy, just what I expected from a new release.  However, you get some tenths increments updates like a 5.1, the programs really have to work on issues with (a.) and (b.)

I am running Windows XP (SP-3)  All critical MS updates installed.  I'll keep it for now and report on my experiences.  The potential for greatness is there, but it just needs to be worked on a little more.

My grade so far? A B-  Because of the five freezes and restarts!  

Jack
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:10:43 PM by Jack 1000 »

YoKenny

Re: Things To Work on For Avast 5.0 and Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers provide advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesing your email address.

Jack 1000

Re: Things To Work on For Avast 5.0 and Tips
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »
Mods or Admin,

Might you consider pinning this thread?  Thanks in advance!

Jack