Author Topic: slow.... SLOW ..... S-L-O-W  (Read 14394 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:slow.... SLOW ..... S-L-O-W
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 04:03:51 PM »
First, I would suggest to lower your Standard Shield sensitivity (to Normal) and check if it makes any difference.

KezzerDrix

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 04:15:31 PM »
try opening your add/remove programs in your control panel and make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff installed that you don't want.  This will free up additional space and prevent rogue processes from running in the background that are not necessary.  Look at the website on REJZOR's signature he has a rogue process terminator that will elimate all but the necessary windows functions.  To view process'es click control/alt/delete at the same time and click the tab that says process'es.

Also you might want to get a free registry fixer from majorgeeks.com with a system of that age you may have a registry that is totally trashed.  I think pcpitstop.com also has a free computer checker.  

Spybot is good but should be used in conjunction with AD-Aware at lavasoft, and spyware blaster from javacoolsoftware.com.  Both are FREE

if you bought the pc from surplus you probably dont have the original windows disk, this is unfortunate because it sounds like a case of needing to reformat your hard drive and starting with a clean slate.  Windows sometimes gets the equivalent of clogged arteries after several years of use.  Besure to use your system accesories such as "Scandisk" "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragmenter". Your performance issues are probably related to a trashed hard drive not Avast.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:29:09 PM by KezzerDrix »

Kobra

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 04:21:53 PM »
4)  The task bar is FULL of icons that plant themselves on the quick launch bar whether I want them there or not.  Are you saying that Avast will run faster if I delete the majority of them ?  OK, I can handle that.   Of course, when I do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and look under the PROCESSES tab, there are 44 different processes running.  Here again, which ones are safe to shut off to free up more of the 256MB of RAM ?

Congratulations, you found the problem!  I have a loaded test machine here, and only have 22 processes running, and this is running at 3.6Ghz..  You have an ancient system there, and have DOUBLE the processes running.  Its not hard to figure out thats your problem.  I don't think anyone here really wants to get into each process and how to remove them, so the .....

Simple Answer is: RE-INSTALL WINDOWS

PS: Spybot is average.  SpySweeper from Webroot has the best detection ratings. But you really need to know how to NOT have everything run resident.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:24:48 PM by Kobra »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 04:25:07 PM »
4)  The task bar is FULL of icons that plant themselves on the quick launch bar whether I want them there or not.  Are you saying that Avast will run faster if I delete the majority of them ?  OK, I can handle that. Here again, which ones are safe to shut off to free up more of the 256MB of RAM ?

Well, it's not about avast! running faster, actually, it's about your computer running faster. Every running process takes some memory and other resources; if you have a big number of them, it's certainly noticeable.
Which ones can be removed? Well, it's up to you I guess - I don't know what you need/use.

KezzerDrix

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 04:26:06 PM »
Also, your computer is not that old or that bad.  Depending on what your using it for it is probably perfectly acceptable.  Things such as internet surfing, email, office tasks, music listening, even dvd movie viewing should be fine with this computer.  

If you have a video card that can handle it.  If your not getting good pictures\video quality on the web or otherwise.  Check to see if you have a pci or agp slot for video chores and consider an upgrade.  You can find nice 64mb cards that are extremely cheap, and are capable of most everything except hardcore gaming.    

Probably not very good for playing graphically intense games.

lcano

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 04:27:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D for kobra
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:28:21 PM by lcano »

AsheJoe

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 05:01:01 PM »
Thank you KezzarDrix for your sincere and "mature" responses to my inquiry.  And yes, you're correct that this machine does what I need it to do.  (By the way, it came with a ATI Radeon 9200 video card with 128MB on board, as well as a 160-GB hard drive, DVD-ROM and CD-RW.  Not bad for $50.00 is it ??)

Which got me to thinking;  That 160-GB hard drive is partitioned off into 4, 40-GB partitions.  Could that be part of the problem I'm experiencing ?  Running Office 2000 and MS-Publisher on this system does fine.  But you're right, on more graphic intensed applications like Jasc Paint Shop Pro is where I notice the biggest drags on performance.  Basically, it appears that each time the hard disk is accessed, (for any reason), Avast slows down all processess dramatically while it meticulously scans every read / send to the hard drive.

Maybe the way the hard drive is partitioned is the root cause ??

Thanks again for displaying sincere maturity in the way you respond.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 05:28:28 PM »
AsheJoe, I really do not think it's a HDD partitioning problem, unless your system drive (C:\) is empty or have few space.
Try to move the sensitivity of avast to Normal.
Can you post a list of your running processes (export the txt file) and we can guide you to eliminate some un-necessary services.

Wellcome to avast forums... Peace, boys  8)
The best things in life are free.

Delta

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 05:55:01 PM »
Startup inspector from www.windowsstartup.com is a tool to show, along with a description, exactly what processes are set run at startup. I believe it works with XP.
Delta.

Kobra

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 06:06:57 PM »
Dude, its best to reformat, WindowsXP SP1 can format a 160GB drive as one partition, whoever owned it before you, probably didn't know this.  Second, stating the obvious, have you defragged the 4 partitions lately?  AV's all want nice, unfragmented drives as a rule.

Once again, i'd be reinstalling windows if I were you, avast running slow is probably the least of your worries.  Theres no shame in reformatting.. Heck, i'm reformatting 2 of my machines today actually.   :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 06:07:40 PM by Kobra »

Tipton

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 07:48:23 PM »
Re-installing windows is a good idea! That way you can start fresh, and install only the software apps that you use. You can also control all startup items with a startup manager as you re-build your software set up. I would also recommend that you install imaging software as one of your first software programs. When I installed XP pro service pack one, I then activated it by phone with it un-plugged from the internet. I then made an image. Now I never have to go through the long process of formatting and installing XP and activating it. Then I turned on  the XP firewall, and installed my chipset drivers, and then my LAN drivers. Then I connected to the net, and installed any critical windows updates. Then made another image. Then I added a few more software programs, and made another image. This comes in so handy if you ever have problems down the road, or you want to test software. I will always make an image before I install software, that way I can be right back to where I was before if I don't like the install. Also you don't end up with fragments left in your registry after the un-install.

I do agree with Kobra.......A fresh install of XP, and then carefully re-build your software apps and control whats going on.

Douglas

KezzerDrix

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2004, 09:21:48 PM »
First off congrats, that is a heck of a deal and that 9200 should be able to handle most anything you throw at it.  If you read the specs on most software they generally don't require near as much as what is available.  Also here are the basic requirement for XP professional straight from the microsoft website.

"Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

You are getting alot of good advice you just need to piece it all together.  It sounds to me that you are very competent.  I am not a fan of partitions I have found them to cause problems before, but, shouldn't cause Avast! to load up.  Unless it is having trouble shifting through the partitions.    

XP tends to suck up about 100mb of memory if you let it.  Download Rejzors rogue process terminator, you can search for it on this forum or click the link in his signature.  Run his program it should eliminate all but what is essential.  After doing this run some of the programs that you think Avast is slowing down.  Did eliminating the rogue processes fix the problem?

In your icon tray by your clock (not by the start button). Try right clicking the icons there searching for preferences and disabling their autostart when windows starts option.  Most programs don't need to run unless you intentionally run them.  Having them in this taskbar eats up valuable resources.  You should not have so many processes.

Set your Avast settings to normal.  It is still safe.

Run your defrags on each partition, scandisk each partition and Disk clean up.

If you can reformat; and ditch the partitions, if you can't purchase a fix it program such as "System Mechanic" normally $29.00 or even the cheaper "Defender utilities" sell's at Walmart for 10.00.  Google search System mechanic you may be able to download a trial version, fix your problem and then delete it.  Also a program called "Partition Magic" might be able to erase the partition dividers without reformating the hard drive.

I hope we can solve your issue.  I have trouble believing Avast could be the problem.  It is not very resource intensive.  Did this computer have another Anti-virus installed on it before you got it?  Possibly Norton? If so you very well could have a conflict between the leftovers from the previous Anti-virus. They are very hard to remove all the traces of old antivirus programs.  "System Mechanic" might fix this by repairing your registry.  Always allow it to make a back up of your registry incase something goes wrong.  Read through the posts and try all the suggestions.  One might help.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:24:49 PM by KezzerDrix »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2004, 09:28:36 PM »
Ok now we found out where to look,its time to make HiJack log and post it here :) This log will help us the most :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

KezzerDrix

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2004, 09:48:34 PM »
Might want to elaborate.  Rej