Author Topic: Multiple Avast! 5 Problems - RESOLVED!  (Read 8472 times)

outofskips

Multiple Avast! 5 Problems - RESOLVED!
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
Both the problems have been resolved. Thank you everyone. :)

I overall thank Avast! 5 because over the last 2 days I've had it, it helped completely save my computer from pretty much being destroyed (and i need my computer EVERY DAY... so yeah.) But now that everything's running somewhat smoothly again, it has a few very perplexing problems:
1. A long time ago i used Kaspersky anti virus but have since gotten rid of it (uninstalled it, removed all keys from the registry involving it, erased any files on my computer that had anything to do with it) and yet Avast! 5 is warning me that i need to remove it and it's incompatible with Avast! 5 and might interfere with it's processes.
2. This may or may not be related to the Kaspersky problem, but the File System Shield (which is apparently the most important shield) refuses to run. The error message is that the "Shield is unreachable."
Does anyone have any advice or anything? I upgraded the program and all that and it still doesn't work.
By the way, I run XP SP2.
EDIT: I forgot to mention; I run the free version of Avast! 5, and I DO have it registered.
2nd Edit: Another thing, this is the first time I've ever used Avast. I've never had any previous version on my pc. I just downloaded it as a last resort to save my pc. I'd love to keep it too... I just want to figure out these problems.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:11:34 PM by outofskips »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Multiple Avast! 5 Problems - Please help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:09:42 PM »
Please try Repairing the installation.

REPAIRING AVAST
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Select avast! Antivirus and click Add/Remove
  • A window will appear. Scroll down to find the Repair button
  • Click Repair and follow the rest of the prompts
  • Reboot

Please post a feedback on how things are going after repairing avast!.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:11:44 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
Try running the Kaspersky uninstall tool found here Nr.17 http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

outofskips

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
I've already run the kaspersky removal tool and repaired avast... neither worked :(

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
Did you encounter any virus alert for sometime before this issue happened?
avast! 9 RC1

outofskips

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
It's been like this since the moment i installed it which was only like early yesterday morning. And at the time i was so involved with getting the massive amount of viruses off that i didn't bother trying to fix the shield problem (or kaspersky problem for that matter).
It literally spent about 24 hours scanning and removing crap from my computer (including a really long boot-scan)
In fact, my computer was so riddled with viruses when i installed the program, I had to download the program TO MY IPHONE and then connect it to my computer and put the installation exe on my computer because i couldn't even get a browser (firefox, ie, safari, opera, you name it) to stay open long enough to download it from the website directly to my computer.
I mean, my pc is ok now.. i just don't understand why these problems are there in the first place.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half plus it provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

mokkaman

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
im in a very bad situation..today morning, i downloaded and installed(upgraded from pevious professional edition) avast 5 pro and it asked for restart...after restart ,my windows xp displays only the wallpaper alone..all other options ,explorer.exe was not working  :-[.using task manager i found only Avastsvc.exe in processes list and its status being-"startup pending"..nothing worked then..finally with great difficulty i recovered my xp using system restore...i never expect avast 5 >:( ,that too professional edition to be causing so much bad effects :( :(..i run on windows xp SP3-updated fully and was using avast 4 for 2 years :-\ without any problems(except tat of bad defnition update on one day)...i feel sad for being unable to use avast 5 :'(.pls check the prob soon :(

outofskips

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and a half plus it provides many Critical Updates and performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online
I don't trust XP SP3 so I'm not going to install it. Besides, Avast! 5 is compatible with xp sp2 so that's not my concern.
I did the internet explorer thing and updated everything on my pc, I've always had automatic updates on though anyways.
And i went to the secunia inspector, downloaded all updates, installed them all, and pretty much did everything it told me to.
Rebooted and everythings all fine and whatnot...
But the problems of the file shield and the kaspersky thing (which i'm not as concerned about as the file shield thing... unless they're related) are still there.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Try delaying avast! load.

Double click avast! tray icon then click Settings > Troubleshooting
Put a check beside Load avast! services after loading other system services
Click OK
Reboot

Please post a feedback on how things are going after applying this.
avast! 9 RC1

bobo1

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Try and get avast V 4.8 free setup file from www.oldversion.com & update it & run a bootime scan.
Run malwarebytes free MBAM to make sure that your computer is free from malware & try avast 5 again?

outofskips

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
Try and get avast V 4.8 free setup file from www.oldversion.com & update it & run a bootime scan.
Run malwarebytes free MBAM to make sure that your computer is free from malware & try avast 5 again?
I've had malwarebytes for a long time... i ran a full scan using it yesterday and the day before and had it remove everything it could but it didn't do nearly as much as when i used avast 5. But i'll try the avast load thing.

outofskips

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
Didn't work.

I gotta be honest.

The Kaspersky thing is just stupid. I have gotten rid of ever conceivable trace of that programs existence. And yet Avast! is still warning me of it.

And the file shield thing still refuses to operate. :[

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:57:41 PM »
avast! 9 RC1

outofskips

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »
Well, I had already tried that before, but having nothing else to really do, I tried it again. I used the command prompt to make it forcibly attempt to remove all types of Kaspersky even though I only had one. Then I went into the registry and found a key that had somehow revived itself and deleted it.
I just rebooted my pc and now Avast! not only says nothing about Kaspersky, but the file shield is up and running! Both problems solved! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Thank you a lot. :)