Author Topic: Avast 5 Free with PCTOOLs Free Firewall  (Read 14415 times)

gentle4ug

Avast 5 Free with PCTOOLs Free Firewall
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
Is anyone running this combination on Win7 32 bit?  I've already tried Online Armour and wasn't that impressed.

All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

ts4putt

Re: Avast 5 Free with PCTOOLs Free Firewall
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
I've been using the Comodo firewall (free) for years with great results.When you download the firewall it comes with an AV program but when you install you select only the firewall to load. The AV sucks. All the Mags like PC and PC World love the firewall hate the AV. That's why there's Avast. Good luck.. 

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »
This combo works very well for me on Win 7 x64. No complaints from me.

hello123

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
This combo works for me, but on Vista 64bit, not win7 32bit.

stevey

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
Comodo firewall sucks too unless you just choose the firewall only option. I could never get my head around all that defence+ proactive pop up stupidness, and the threatcast ratings thing never worked.

Xost2

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »
Hi: I am using this combination (Avast 5 Free + PCTools Free) on Windows7 (64bit). So far, 48 hours - everything is working OK, with no apparent conflict.

I notice that the firewall opens a pop-up every time avast.setup wants to execute an Avast virus definition update. Will these pop-ups eventually settle down, or is there some setting I am missing in the PCTools Firewall to permanently grant permission to avast.setup?

Thanks!

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing. Post back if you figure out how to stop the popups and I'll do the same.

cadremis

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
I use Avast Free Antivirus with PcTools and the Avast_setup pop up does not bother me any more since I told Pc Tools to remember my decistion, another important step is not ereasing Avast_setup in PCtools eventhough it says it is an uninstalled program, I decided just hidding it.

rm

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 01:47:20 AM »
The problem here is that the checkbox to remember is grayed out. It's my girl's PC so she may be leaving the popup sit there for so long that the option to remember is grayed out. I've only seen it after she has left it sitting for awhile because she wasn't sure what to do. I need to tell her to check the box if it's available. At least I have her trained enough to not do the "default allow" she used to do! :P

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:22 AM »
Right now I am using Private Firewall ;D
Seem that I was influenced by someone in this forum and become addicted to this firewall ;D

pinnacle

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:42 AM »
Yes Private Firewall is an excellent application. I prefer it over PC Tools.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:49:20 AM »
I guess so...I has a registry change notifier and other options more than Pctools I guess!!

cazoza

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:36:38 AM »
Well i would recommend Outpost Firewall, i have used it before, and no problems with it. I just haven't installed it yet, because i was waiting for a full win 7 software. But now it is full compatible with win 7 in all flavors. By the way, if you use avast with Outpost Firewall, i recommend to disable Outpost Firewall realtime scanner, because it will slow down avast.

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 06:51:57 AM »
I had her using Outpost Free, but it's UI was too dumbed down and inflexible IMHO. I haven't tried Private Firewall. I'll take it for a spin in a VM. Thanks for the suggestions, but this is starting to veer off-topic.

anothermack

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
At Magician and Pinnacle:

With Privatefirewall have you not noticed that some tray pop-ups have a default 'allow after x seconds' policy? If so, don't you care?

Am also looking for a change from PCTools on 64bit, but the above really bothers me...

brgds
mack