Author Topic: Avast 5 Free with PCTOOLs Free Firewall  (Read 14414 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: Avast 5 Free with PCTOOLs Free Firewall
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
At Magician and Pinnacle:

With Privatefirewall have you not noticed that some tray pop-ups have a default 'allow after x seconds' policy? If so, don't you care?

Am also looking for a change from PCTools on 64bit, but the above really bothers me...

brgds
mack

I recommend using the training period when first using Privatefirewall.

anothermack

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
At Magician and Pinnacle:

With Privatefirewall have you not noticed that some tray pop-ups have a default 'allow after x seconds' policy? If so, don't you care?

Am also looking for a change from PCTools on 64bit, but the above really bothers me...

brgds
mack

I recommend using the training period when first using Privatefirewall.

Hello rdmaloyjr,

Well, the default 'allow after x seconds' is a bit like having a training period for the complete life span of the firewall, is it not?

I don't really want that.

brgds
mack

Avastfan1

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
I use Avast Free 5.0.396 with PCTFW 6.0.0.88.

Using Avast is still resulting in random freezes on my computer.

Could it have something to do with PCTFW? :O

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »
I use Avast Free 5.0.396 with PCTFW 6.0.0.88.

Using Avast is still resulting in random freezes on my computer.

Could it have something to do with PCTFW? :O
I've got the same combo you do (in the body of your message, that is) and have no problems.

I do note in your sig, though, that you're using the paid/resident version of MBAM, and by now it's pretty obvious that that's a problem with avast 5.  Alwil's still working on that one, and you'll see Vlk's started a new sticky on that specific problem.

Until they can come up with a solution, I'd suggest disabling the resident protection of your MBAM as the very first thing to try.  That seems to have worked for most users.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

cadremis

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
Just to test Private Firewall I uninstalled PCTFP and installed Private Firewall with the training period as someone suggested here and what I can see is that navigation is faster in comparation with PCTFP, if it continues like this and gives me no problems I guess it would be a good Firewall Option, the computer starts faster and everything is running smooth right now.

I went to see the rates in Matousec.com
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
What I can see now is that Private Firewall 7, the new versión is free with and has much more features than
PCTFP, I hope that PF do better in the next testing since I see version 6 had a 10 + very good

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
Hm...I guess I should turn back to another firewall hehe I'm rather lazy to read the policy and always use hm...let's say effective software to protect my computer/pc.

Anyone heard about ashampoo Firewall free with Antispam protection also!!!

cadremis

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:02:54 AM »
Private Firewall Users, how do I stop PF7 asking to allow avast_setup every time avast requires to update by itself and remember my desition?

rm

timcan

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
Private Firewall Users, how do I stop PF7 asking to allow avast_setup every time avast requires to update by itself and remember my desition?

rm

I'd like to know also. :)
I tried pfw 7 and avast 5 free awhile back on xp home. After the 'training period', I would get 3-4 popups from pfw every time avast wanted to do an update. I  could never get pfw to remember. I set every avast process to allowed and even added avast as a trusted publisher.
I finally gave up and moved on. :)

cadremis

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
RNfromTN,
I gave up this morning and move back to PCTFP....that one that I have always used before...rm

majoMo

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »

rm
Similar problem with Comodo.

majoMo

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
It seems that "setup.ovr" is changed to "avast.setup" when there is an update.

Like "avast.setup" file'properties always changes (and is deleted), I have in my firewall (Rising Firewall) the file ...\Avast5\Setup\avast.setup with all permissions (and with "Check if this file has been modified" unchecked).

Maybe a trick like that is needed with PrivateFirewall also.

anothermack

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
Sorry guys,

has been a while since I had PF installed, and can't remember.  As suggested above I guess an exemption rule should be made somewhere.  Possibly by picking 'allow' when the pop-up arises, and then to modify the created rule by making it more general then any file-specific characteristics???

brgds
mack

cazoza

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 04:38:05 AM »
well, i have outpost firewall, and it has a trusted vendor or something like that, so if the software has a legit certificate, it will be allowed, so also outpost, has a learning process, so it can learn how the user uses all software and machine, and that's why i love outpost. I have not had any issue with it and avast 5. So i will keep it for now until it expires. And Personal Firewall seems a great application, but as somebody said, i'm used to outpost firewall, and it suits my needs, so when it expires, i will test Personal Firewall, as it has also good rates. I think Personal Firewall should have that function too, maybe autolearn, or something like that. And if not, with como it also has a trusted vendor or certificate section, so u can put avast in there, and it won't ask again for allow it. You just need to keep avast there. And even when it updates, it will check the certificate or sign, and if it's the same source it will allow the process. So you just need to check that part of trusted vendors or certificate, since 2008 i dont use comodo firewall but i remember it had that option.

timcan

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:09 PM »
Hi, not meaning to more off topic but it may be of interest to some. :)
Regarding the last several posts about privatefirewall having issues with avast updater, I submitted a support ticket with them.
This is the reply I got.

RE: Privacyware Support Ticket Submission - Avast alerts

Inbox      X   

|
Greg Salvato

show details 9:00 AM (5 hours ago)

Hello Tim –

We’ve been able to reproduce this issue. It will be assigned to a developer in the coming days for investigation and hopefully a relatively quick resolution.

I will keep you posted on progress and the availability of an updated build.

Best regards,

Greg

cadremis

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
RNfromTN,
If you receive an answer from people in PF please let us know or at least let me know in a private msge. I would like to know their answer since I asked this question and nobody has responded so far. rm