Author Topic: [WISHLIST] ADNM V5  (Read 25625 times)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: ADNM V5 [WISHLIST]
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 05:18:46 AM »
Hi Scythe944,

As i know, avast! itself already have this features but only supported with Cisco NAC.

But what does i mean, if possible that avast! re-built with more comprehensive and full performance not only support with Cisco.

Cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: [WISHLIST] ADNM V5
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
I'd like them to add the ability for ADNM to automatically check for upgrades, and at least notify the user that they are available.

Also, I'm sick of MSDE and MS SQL in general.  The management tools for the free versions suck at best.

Can we use MySQL instead?  The free version should work just fine, and the management tools that are available for free are great.  They're easy to use and learn.  Plus, we wouldn't have the issue of having multiple services using the one sql database.  For instance, in a SBS server, you have sharepoint, WSUS, and sometimes Monitoring and Reporting all using one instance of MSDE (I think). If that database goes down, everything gets screwed up.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
- When you uninstall a netclient, it must be delete from the Computer Catalog.
- When a task is running in a netclient and the netclient is power off, ADNM must change the status of the task to "uncompleted" or something like this. Maybe, restarts the task when computer is on again.
- Automatic refresh, not F5.
- Console direct access from Internet, not opening ports. To give support to customers.
- Manual Mirror run from ADNM Console.
- Send an email alert when mirror is not updates in 24 hours.
- Improve reports.
- Can create MSI packages in a shared folder on other machine with a normal user.
- Improve time to install first mirror from Internet during installation.
- Improve access to remote virus chest to restore files, send infected files to ALWIL, etc.
- In PC properties a "Infected Files History".
- Can see the licenses number from the ADNM Console.

fairlane32

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »
I'd like them to add the ability for ADNM to automatically check for upgrades, and at least notify the user that they are available.

Also, I'm sick of MSDE and MS SQL in general.  The management tools for the free versions suck at best.

Can we use MySQL instead?  The free version should work just fine, and the management tools that are available for free are great.  They're easy to use and learn.  Plus, we wouldn't have the issue of having multiple services using the one sql database.  For instance, in a SBS server, you have sharepoint, WSUS, and sometimes Monitoring and Reporting all using one instance of MSDE (I think). If that database goes down, everything gets screwed up.

I totally agree. Remember the frustrations I had, and you helped me?  ;D

Automatically checking for updates and to be able to just download and install over the current version. Now THAT would be sweet. And of course,
all the stuff wpn said, (of which about half I couldn't understand  :o)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
- When you uninstall a netclient, it must be delete from the Computer Catalog.
- When a task is running in a netclient and the netclient is power off, ADNM must change the status of the task to "uncompleted" or something like this. Maybe, restarts the task when computer is on again.
- Automatic refresh, not F5.
- Console direct access from Internet, not opening ports. To give support to customers.
- Manual Mirror run from ADNM Console.
- Send an email alert when mirror is not updates in 24 hours.
- Improve reports.
- Can create MSI packages in a shared folder on other machine with a normal user.
- Improve time to install first mirror from Internet during installation.
- Improve access to remote virus chest to restore files, send infected files to ALWIL, etc.
- In PC properties a "Infected Files History".
- Can see the licenses number from the ADNM Console.

Nice list.  Don't really see the need for "Can create MSI packages in a shared folder..." but I'm sure the need may arise for some people.

I'd really like the Manual mirror run from the console, but you can do that just by typing mirror.exe in cmd prompt when you are in the Avast directory.  Still, it could be easier.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
...but you can do that just by typing mirror.exe in cmd prompt when you are in the Avast directory

Yes, I know. But if you are manage several customer AMS servers and you have an avast! Console you don't have access to the cmd prompt in the servers or access to any directory, you only have access to the AMS Server and his options, even, you have no access to the AMS Maintenance Tools.   :-\

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
I know, that's why I said "Still, it could be easier."

I agree with you, I was just letting you know that you could do it if you didn't know already.

Again, nice list!

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
Thanks scythe944 for your explains.

Our request are based in several year installing and managing ADNM in a lot of customers.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »
Damn, I just thought of a good request, but I got caught answering some other topics while looking for this one, and forgot what it was!

Grr.  Oh well, this will bring this post back up on top and hopefully I can remember what it was soon, so that I don't have to search for this thread again!

wpn

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 12:18:39 AM »
its the age i tell you :)  makes u forget things....

when its a really really good one, it will pop up again and u can post it :D

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »
its the age i tell you   makes u forget things....
I think I remember, but it's hard to word.  Anyway, I just had my 27th birthday a few days ago, so I don't think it's that... possibly related to the alcohol intake.  ;D

Anyway, I don't know if this has been said yet, but I think it needs to be said again if it has.

If a computer doesn't have avast installed, nor even a part of a domain, it shouldn't be counted in the license totals!

I understand that you can use active directory to pull computer names into the ADNM console, but if they're disabled, they shouldn't be added.  Discovered computers that are just on the network, shouldn't be added either.

Basically, the ADNM console should query computers after they are discovered to find out if they have:

1) Avast installed
2) A managed product
3) Check to see if the machine is active in the domain, or disabled.

I really don't see a point in having the ADNM console count a disabled computer as a licensed machine.  If ADNM finds a disabled computer, it should remove it from the database automatically, and re-assign the license to another machine if one becomes available.

I get so sick of managing "two active directories".  I have to find the computer name, remove it from active directory, then remove it from ADNM.

Hey, it might not be possible, but it sure is a wish.

wpn

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
@scythe....  27th???  man u are way past expiration date ;)   i should know im turning 30 next month :P

what you actually mean is:
all discovered computers should be placed in a quarantined container inside ADNM. Inside this container they will NOT get a license appointed yet.
If the detected AD computer is present and active (turn on) on the network there should be a check to see if any Avast software is already installed. If the software is not installed or the installed software is not a managed client then the computer object should reside in the quarantined container to be approved by an administrator to get a license. If the software is a managed client then after approval the license should be given to the computer and the latest client software updates should be applied.

If the detected computer, during the scan for new computers, is found by IP scan (so therefor not yet found in AD) it should be checked in AD and if it is found in AD it should be checked on the status in AD (disabled or not) if it is disabled then there should not be a possibility to give a license to that station AT ALL.
This check should be done after it is found but BEFORE the check for software (no need to check installed software if the computer is not enabled in AD), maybe even put in a different container which is a default container that cant be deleted, a container called AD-DISABLED  (something like that)

this about right??

next to that: standard created containers (ADBNM system containers?) should NOT be able to be deleted!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:29:34 PM by wpn »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
@scythe....  27th???  man u are way past expiration date ;)   i should know im turning 30 next month :P

what you actually mean is:
all discovered computers should be placed in a quarantined container inside ADNM. Inside this container they will NOT get a license appointed yet.
If the detected AD computer is present and active (turn on) on the network there should be a check to see if any Avast software is already installed. If the software is not installed or the installed software is not a managed client then the computer object should reside in the quarantined container to be approved by an administrator to get a license. If the software is a managed client then after approval the license should be given to the computer and the latest client software updates should be applied.

If the detected computer, during the scan for new computers, is found by IP scan (so therefor not yet found in AD) it should be checked in AD and if it is found in AD it should be checked on the status in AD (disabled or not) if it is disabled then there should not be a possibility to give a license to that station AT ALL.
This check should be done after it is found but BEFORE the check for software (no need to check installed software if the computer is not enabled in AD), maybe even put in a different container which is a default container that cant be deleted, a container called AD-DISABLED  (something like that)

this about right??

next to that: standard created containers (ADBNM system containers?) should NOT be able to be deleted!

lol... yeah, that's about right!