Author Topic: YouTube HTML5 Video Player  (Read 28198 times)

cinchez

Re: YouTube HTML5 Video Player
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
@ Logos and Polonus

Doesn't this work?

http://keepvid.com/

Download and save videos directly from Youtube, Google, Metacafe, Putfile and more. Simply copy and paste.

I had have tried that in the past before I realized there was something better^^

Keepvid does the job done but not exactly as said...sometimes it doesnt download, no download links appear..

@Topic
Is HTML5 video player the new player Youtube has?
The new look?
Thanks!

-AnimeLover^^

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »
@ Logos and Polonus

Doesn't this work?

http://keepvid.com/

Download and save videos directly from Youtube, Google, Metacafe, Putfile and more. Simply copy and paste.

no, the issue there is not to download videos the way tens of utilities can do it, when flash player is used, and you get a FLV very easily out of it, but how to do it when the HTML5 tag is used instead.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
This is an interesting doubt that I also have...

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
@Topic
Is HTML5 video player the new player Youtube has?
The new look?
Thanks!

there's just a new experimental player for YouTube, only usable in Chrome, Safari, and IE+Chrome Frame plugin, and this player supports HTML5. But the official YouTube player is still for now and for a while Adobe Flash Player. Flash has ruled for ages now, don't know how long still...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
Hi Logos.

Introduction to HTML5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOHh0uzcuY

Here is a HTML5 video with the possibility to download as MP4 for iPod/PSP:
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=6754476230600345723&ei=lHNcS52AAcyP-Abb3JTPCA&q=when+the+levee+breaks&hl=nl&view=3#
Open link in a recent GoogleChrome version then play it on VLC as MP4....

polonus
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:57:54 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hermite15

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »
Hi Polonus,

yeah I just watched that. Funny, runs perfectly in Chrome (still using flash player...I guess you need to go through the HTML5 beta page first to avoid that), and video marked as unavailable in Firefox  ??? btw MP4 has been offered for a while when downloading from YouTube and FlashPlayer is running...choice is between FLV and MP4 (in HD, well what they call HD) where obviously MP4 is the royal way to avoid Flash completely  ;D

edit: can't start it anymore in Chrome either now, and that wasn't a YouTube video anyway. So how did you manage to play it in HTML5, ie without Flash ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:08:15 PM by Logos »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
Hi Logos,

That is exactly what I meant, and it proofs my point, says: The video is currently not available, try later.
And that is the hazard of embedding a link or reloading because the video player may be there and the link but video may be not available, worse scenario the video may never be available or uploaded again. I have it because I have downloaded the MP4 -36.1 MB of it. The same problems here is with searching, because the Internet is like an ever changing ocean, so you may cast your nets never to catch that fish again,

polonus

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Hi Logos,

That is exactly what I meant, and it proofs my point, says: The video is currently not available, try later.
And that is the hazard of embedding a link or reloading because the video player may be there and the link but video may be not available, worse scenario the video may never be available or uploaded again. I have it because I have downloaded the MP4 -36.1 MB of it. The same problems here is with searching, because the Internet is like an ever changing ocean, so you may cast your nets never to catch that fish again,

polonus

yeah but it's never been available in Firefox, while I have actually watched it in Chrome and it's not available anymore in Chrome now...OK but why was it never available in Firefox? This video uses Flash, no HTML 5 to be seen...

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Polonus, you mind telling me why and how you called it an HTML5 video  ??? thanks.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
While Opera isn't a "suported browser", it works great with YouTube HTML5 Video Player. 8)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

It is also good to know what is the controversy in the background between Mozilla and the other parties about: http://shaver.off.net/diary/2010/01/23/html5-video-and-codecs/
This is what plays and we are about to make the same mistakes as with Flash, IE etc. etc.
Dirac is also free of patents, functions equally or in some ways  better than H.264 does.
It is being used in the broadcast-scene under the VC-codec.
Why Fx and Google are having problems about the implementation when a solution is already there?
And also theora is a solution to be implemented.
h.264 and Dirac weigh rather heavy as codecs, one should have quite some CPU to run it.
Dirac runs under GPU and the Schrodinger impelementation, is the thing for CPU platforms,
and quality wise Theora is no rival for Dirac, also because it is free of patents.
Dirac will "blow" Theora away...
Open source is not bad, but here it all is about licence-fees, and who pays these...
and these fees, 5 million $ on an annual basis,
are being paid for their users by Microsoft, Google and especially Apple in this case.
Like PNG and JPEG for pictures, there are aslo free solutions for video,
but now users, developers and content-makers alike are forced to pay for such a basic implementation,
So Theora and Dirac to be used in browsers, and if they do not support these,
use the well-known Java-player. Simple and transparent.
Who has the bigger problem here MPEG-LA or Mozilla.
Will they offer Mozilla a free licence to maintain their monopoly position.
But to make MS use Theora 1.1. for video is a difficult tasks for
firms like MS, Opera and Apple alike, all with their fear of patents,
won't switch to open standards.
But there is something quite different here, one could choose the
closed format to create a monopoly.
x264 namely is a GPL code build of exactly the same H.264 codec.
But H.264 is patent-encumbered and cannot be used because it
does not meet the DSFG and therefore cannot be included in
Debian. x264 is completely free and open,
but another problem here could be that technology used there has related patents.

Then the HTML 5 spec could have solved this with the Video tag
properties for an opt-in download for a codec.
But that is not for us, the security aware, because it would mean  a royal road in for malware....

So Mozilla does not agree with the video-standard choice of the
other major players, and they could have had a good reason for that,
Logos and other so enthusiastically relate here the launch of this,
but are they aware of the implications, and do they really think
they would be as enthusiastic as this means the same monopoly only for another holder?
and the current fee exemption for free-to-the-viewer internet delivery is only in effect until the end of 2010

polonus
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:39:13 PM by polonus »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »
Unfortunately, the html5 video player doesn't work in firefox  :(

works fine in Chrome  ;)

Here's one you might want to look at: :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7c1L-qKWM

Just love this Bob. How could I have missed it first time round? I skimmed this thread and bookmarked it to come back to when I have time to read through the many links. For now though I download the video using YouTube MP3 downloader to WMV/Zune/Pocket PC (*.wmv). YouTube only with this downloader. From there I go Leawo or Format Factory if I need to play with file extensions, and PowerISO seems to sort the bunch well enough for me if I need to burn some hard copy (for my own use).

HTML 5 I need to learn about so thanks for introductory links Polonus. And for great info on running state Logos.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
Hi mkis,

I think you sure would love to have this proggie on a USB stick. GSpot Codec Information Appliance(tm)
by Steven Greenberg. Common problems with AVI files are caused by the required codec. Here we show you which codec's are being used, using GSpot.

Say you have an AVI file but it doesn't play on your PC ... in that case we need to know which codec(s) are required for playback. But how do we find out?

In another situation, you tried to transcode (convert) an AVI file to another format, but for example audio isn't there in the end result. GSpot can tell you which codec is needed or used ...

GSpot can help us with this ... it completely analyses your AVI file and gives you an overview of all relevant information.

Download from here:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/download.php

or here:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Enjoy, my friend,

Damian
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:46:52 PM by polonus »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Yes I would love to have it so have downloaded to my usb.

Now find some time to run a few tests and in the meantime I can sort out a list of files to work with.  I did have a bunch of video (.avi) captured from TV stream and no sound came through despite the audio device appearably being set correctly. Unfortunately I deleted these files. No problem to start recording TV stream again now I have additional resources at hand..
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 12:38:06 AM »
Hi mkis,

The vid-people only see the benefits of using this h.264 codec. Particularly because of the YouTube and Vimeo support and came out as a standard from mounting proggies like FCP or as an easy HD-webconversion.

Even the open source converters seldomly use Ogg Theora. They haven't been spotted yet. Far from it, Theora is not supported on a broad scale. Not the thing to do to now to make these open codecs at this moment in time. Sadly, but factual,

polonus