Author Topic: Only E-mail Scan and Virus Definition Update  (Read 16614 times)

fhn

Only E-mail Scan and Virus Definition Update
« on: June 22, 2003, 02:59:36 AM »
Hello,

I have Avast 4, Home edition.  Found out that the Avast program consumes about 20MB of RAM.  Is it possible to NOT auto-load the main Avast program during PC boot, and STILL be able to to scan incoming/outgoing Outlook Express mail?  Also, is it possible to auto check for new virus definition file without launching the main Avast program?  If not, then is there a scrip that I can launch to manually check for virus definition update.

TIA,
F.

fhn

Re:Only E-mail Scan and Virus Definition Update
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 08:40:36 AM »
I'm running W98SE with Zone Alarm Pro 4.0.  I removed Avast from the StartUP list and this has prevented the auto launch of the main Avast program.  When I manually launch Ashavast.exe, I see Automatic Updates for database.  Therefore, do I still have to manually update the virus database?  

Normally, when Avast is set to auto launch, it will run Avast setup to check for new virus database as soon as there is an active internet connection.  But because Avast no longer "auto launch", I don't see this auto checking of the virus database when I have internet connection, even though the main program shows Automatic Updates for database.  Why doesn't the program auto update the database?  Do I have to auto launch Avast for this to occur?

Second issue has to do with Outlook Express e-mail.  I must keep the ashMaiSV program checked in STARTUP tab if I wish to scan incoming OE e-mails, correct?  I also noticed in the ZA program control that when I launch Outlook Express, the Avast e-mail scanner service will also come on (active).  That's normal.  But when I shut down Outlook Express (no longer active), the Avast e-mail scanner (ASHMAISV.EXE) is STILL active.  Why keep the e-mail scanner active when OE is no longer running?  Is there a fix to this problem?  

Thanks,
F.  

BanziBaby

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 08:35:05 PM »
Hi fhn :)

Im not an expert, but in my firewall(kerio 2.1.15)if i go to the firewall status, i see three entries for the mail scanner.I think because the internet mail provider is runnin on startup, then the mail server will always be runnin

As far as i know it ain't a problem on my PC, i just let it do it's thing safe in the knowledge that it is constantly runnin & loads like lightning whenb i open OE ;D

BaNzI :o

fhn

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 09:19:17 PM »
My though exactly.  NAV does the same thing.  

But I still don't know about the antivirus definition update.  I suspect that I will have to manually check for new virus definition if I do not auto launch the main Avast program.  

Another minor annoyance is that it takes about 25 seconds from launch for the Avast virus definition check button to appear.  I've already disabled memory checking.  I'm running a 600MHz PIII, 384MB RAM, W98SE, system resources above 80%, CPU load less than 9%.

F.  

BanziBaby

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 10:23:16 PM »
Well my system is a PII 300/w192Mb ram & i don't notice any slowdown at all, in fact that 1 of the reasons i switched 2 Avast, it seems 2 be lighter on resources than most other A/V progs

fhn

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 02:56:16 AM »
I would say Avast is better than NAV in some respects!  But I shouldn't have to way 25 seconds for the program to reach a stage where I can manually check for new virus definition.  I would give this product a 9.5 if it can auto update the virus database without having to auto launch the main Avast program during boot.  

Remember that experienced PC users don't need the full time scan capability of the main Avast program.  And it would be nice if the Avast e-mail scanner would shut down when I terminate Outlook Express.  Just more constructive observations for the software developer to work on.

F.  

BanziBaby

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 03:31:19 AM »
Hi ftn :)

Why don't U post any suggestions in the wish list thread here www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=57

Like i say i don't mind them loadin at startup as on my PC they use a lot less resources than NAV

But it a good idea 2 have the mail server shut cown when not needed :Dbut if U post there then the Avast team will take Ur ideas in 2 consideration, i posted a few myself

Oopps, U already done that Bud, soz ::)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 03:33:53 AM by BanziBaby »

techie101

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 07:57:39 AM »
fhn,

Exactly what are you referring to when you ask if the main Avast program can be prevented at startup?
By removing Avast from the Start Menu using MSCONFIG, you can accomplish your purpose, but in doing so, you have disabled the Auto update features of Avast as well as the resident shields which make it such a great program.
If the program is not loaded, it can't auto update either!
If you only want to disable the Boot scan, that's easy.....right click on the Avast icon in the system tray and go into Settings.  Uncheck the button "Test memory during application startup".

Avast actually consumes about 17mb which may be on the higher side, but considering all it does with 3 resident shields in place, it's not bad.  Future builds are expected to be on the lighter side so stay with us.

You seem to have more than enough memory on your system to handle a puny little 17mb so why is it bothering you so much?  For that you get a top quality AV with both auto update for virus definitions and program updates.....no fuss, no muss.
AND an excellent email scanner for both incoming and outgoing mail!
AND Resident shields on the job all the time!!

What more can you ask for?
I know....less RAM usage.

Give Avast a break.  hahahaha
:D

fhn

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 05:32:34 PM »
I want my PC to run at peak efficiency, all the times.  It's a tripe boot machine (W98SE, W2K Pro, and WXP Pro), but I'm currently testing Avast with W98SE, only.  I manually scan all unknown discs and floppies upon introduction.  This happens about six or seven times a year.  Therefore, there is no need to run the full Avast program in the background ALL the times...longer boot time, slower system performance, and less CPU clock time available for use with other applications.  Why carry rocks in your back-pack if you don't have too?

I removed the memory check feature.  However, it still takes 25 seconds from the time I launch Avast, to when I can click on the button to update the virus definition.  Norton's LiveUpdate takes less than two seconds.  It should be noted that the average size of new Avast virus definition is smaller than NAV's.

Avast can be an excellent product if:

a).the virus definition checker program is allowed to start independent of the main Avast program and the e-mail scanner program.  This will GUARANTEE that the user has the  latest virus definition file, even when the main Avast program is turned off.  Note that Norton Antivirus does not have this capability!

b).shut down the Avast e-mail scanner when it is not in use.  Having the Avast e-mail scanner running in the background when it is not being used wastes system resources and memory.

To be the best AV product, you have to outclass the competions.  Attention to details count!

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 04:19:24 PM »
That is why you have virtual memory.  Anyway, isn't RAM very elastic under Windows OS?  Isn't additional RAM cheap and easy to install for an experienced PC user?

fhn

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2003, 05:13:18 PM »
Having unused applications running in the background consumes a small amount of CPU clock cycles and system resources.  Unlike Windows NT, W9.x has fixed resources.  The CPU clock speed is also fixed.

What if you have a dozen little programs not self terminating when they are no longer in use?  Do you care about loosing 20% of your system resources?  So the solution is to reboot the PC?

F.  

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2003, 06:11:02 PM »
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."  But, I'm not going to disagree with you.  Nevertheless, you can't tow 4 tons with a truck designed to tow 2 tons.  That's all I'm trying to convey.

fhn

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2003, 07:27:55 PM »
How does this relate to Newton's law of motion?  

It's common sense to terminate un-used applications, regardless of the speed of the processor and the amount of installed physical memory.  I have no problem "towing" Avast with my PC.  

Novice PC users may need the full-time protection of Avast at the cost of system performance.  Others prefer to maximize system efficiency so that it can be used with other critical tasks.

F.

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2003, 08:18:07 PM »
Are the options you want incorporated in the paid version of Avast?

fhn

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 02:44:18 AM »
I don't see these features on the side-by-side comparision between Home and Pro.  Perhaps the moderator or another Pro user can confirm this.

F.