Author Topic: conflict with Ccleaner  (Read 15264 times)

jerryd

conflict with Ccleaner
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:26:01 AM »
Avast community,

I have successfully installed Avast Free Antivirus 5.
 I want to download and run Ccleaner one time  only. Is
 there any problem running Avast and Ccleaner simultaniously?

Thanks,
jerryd

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: conflict with Ccleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:53:31 AM »
Why will be conflict? Ccleaner is not a antivirus. It is a junk and registry cleaner
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
I have used CCleaner for years and have zero problems with it and Avast 5 Free under Win 7 64 bit. I used to say CCleaner was the best free software but Avast 5 Free is the best free software by far.

BTW why only use CCleaner once? I use it daily. It has the only registry cleaner that I trust, cleans up temp files etc.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline RedFan

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:01:45 AM »
Never had an issue with Ccleaner & avast at the same time, no conflicts
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

gizbar

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
No problems with Ccleaner and Avast! 5 here. Not sure it needs running once a day though... How much junk can one person accumulate in one day? ;-)

Give it a try. I find it works well. Just backup the registry before you fix anything in there. It always asks, and it has never failed, but just in case...

regards, Gizbar.

Ringman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
If it's Clean install of avast may not conflict with it.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
No problems with Ccleaner and Avast! 5 here.

+1

Working just fine here also.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »
I use it daily:

How To Use: CCleaner /AUTO /SHUTDOWN
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16551

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
I use it daily:

and how is that related to our topic here  ??? the OP was just wondering about compatibility with avast.

Back to topic, CCleaner is just a data cleaner, it can't conflict with anything. It's not an anti-spyware, it's not an anti-virus, and it's not a firewall  ;D

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »
No problems with Ccleaner and Avast!

+1

count_dingo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
I realize this is a few months old, but I had a problem with CCleaner and Avast!

It may or may not affect anyone else, so I'll give the short and long version:

Short:
Avast! wasn't cleaning up the unp temp files from \windows\temp\_avast5_.  I changed CCleaner options and Avast! started working.  Changed the options back and... Avast! was still working...

A bit longer:
The folder was 6 GB when I discovered it and cleaned them out.  Was able to select all except the webshlock.txt file, which is how it should be.  If anyone doesn't already know, Avast! uses this folder (\windows\temp\_avast#_ where # is the version of avast, has done it since at least avast4) to drop a file, scan it, then delete it.  Well, mine were not being deleted.  The usual cause for this is another program having 'hooks' in it so Avast! can't delete, and it's generally some resident security software that ends up being the culprit. 
   Although CCleaner isn't 'security' software, per se, it has a checkbox option in it, "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours," so I unchecked that.  I also added the _avast5_ folder to the exclude list.  Voila, Avast! started deleting the files!  And then the mystery...  to figure out which of those two options had caused it, I put the checkmark back in the box.  Still deleting files...  ok, remove the folder from exceptions.  um... still deleting files.  Ok, so I don't know what's going on.

I had a rootkit virus walk right past Avast! about two months ago.  Ended up using MBAM, combofix, and 3 or 4 other utilities (plus manual cleanup of .exe files) to clean it (it was nasty.  virus and trojan packed with malware/adware to distract you while the virus worked), got everything finally working again, reinstalled Avast! and installed CCleaner (not sure which order I installed them, but dates seem to point to Avast! being reinstalled after CCleaner).  The point of this long-winded rambling is that it could be something entirely specific to my machine alone and will never happen to anyone else ever, or it could be a problem people are having and they don't realize it because they use the windows utilities to clean their temp files or some other utility, so they never realize it's happening.  The only reason it affects me is because of how I have my partitions, my windows drive is only 20GB.  So yeah, 6GB of pure garbage files is painful to me.

Light Archangel

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:18 AM »
I have avast and ccleaner and everything is OK
CCleaner is compatible, you don't have to worry

and about the problem of count_dingo:
CCleaner cleans all of my temp folder, I don't know what could be causing your problem  ???

greetings

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 04:03:45 AM »
I use it daily:

+1  I've been using CCleaner's auto shutdown for a long time, ever since it came out.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 04:05:47 AM »
It may take a long of time so be patient^^

Rick F

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:28:49 AM »
No problems with Ccleaner and Avast! 5 here.

+1

Working just fine here also.

+2

I've used it daily without any issues.  Great program!