Author Topic: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)  (Read 25290 times)

Falcon

Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
Hi,

I installed Avast 5.0 and since this installation, problems viewing videos on youtube, Daily motion,.... The video was slow and I had problem with the sound. I deactivated Avast for 10 minutes and everything works well.

I am using Firefox 3.6 and Avast 5.0 with Windows 7.

I think the Web shield is not optimized and is consumming a lot of ressources.

Hope a mature version of Avast 5 will appear soon.

Regards

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
Surprisingly, it works fine in mine.

Did you update from avast! v.4 to v.5? If yes, then I suggest a clean install instead.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

haremheb

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
Hi,

I installed Avast 5.0 and since this installation, problems viewing videos on youtube, Daily motion,.... The video was slow and I had problem with the sound. I deactivated Avast for 10 minutes and everything works well.

Regards

Hi,
me and ident have a same problem as you. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54086.0

I already try everything and I don't have a clue what to do:-(

baba booey

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
Good luck getting any help on this. I posted about a week ago in the beta forum and got no answer. I had to switch to a different AV until they resolve this issue.

bobbyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
I have the same problem with youtube,dailymotion,etc.It happens with firefox,expolorer,and opera.It is clearly caused by avast 5.I uninstalled 4.8 with revo uninsatller and did a fresh install of Avast 5.0.377.This video/audio choppy problem is my only issue so far but it's a pretty big one.i use ccleaner,then it's fine for a bit,but the problem comes back.I don't think making exclusions for site like youtube or dfailymotion makes any sense at all.Where's the protection then in the future?Please help me out here.I'm not the only one with this issue

Cako

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
Hi,

Regards
Hi..
i have the same problem.
read:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54106.0
in my case not only on youtube, its all the pages when I open many tabs.
I think avast was having trouble scanning many files at the same time on the Internet browsers.
when I disable all the modules everything back to normal.
now the update dont work, this failing
FIX THIS DAM BUGS.........

2nd base

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
Hi,

Regards

I think you're correct.

buttoni

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
I'm using Avast5 AV Free on Win7 64 bit, FX 3.6, HD monitor and am having absolutely no problems viewing videos on Youtube.  Have had no problems with Avast5 at all, in fact.  I uninstalled 4.8 in SAFE MODE, rebooted and ran aswclear.exe, rebooted and installed Avast5 in SAFE MODE (to be sure Comodo HIPS didn't prevent a clean install). Rebooted twice, just because I always do after installing a new program.  Only other realtime SW running in normal mode is Comodo FW with D+ enabled.

FWIW, I turned off the Windows Defender built into Win7 before installing Avast5.  Figured two antispywares running  concurrently would NOT be good.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:42:29 PM by buttoni »

bobbyboy

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
I'm happy that you are not having this problem and I'm sure most do not,but that doesn't really help solve why the problem exists for those affected.It seems to be clearly caused by Avast 5.I never had this with 4.8.

buttoni

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
Did you install your Avast5 in SAFE mode?  That was my reason for posting at all.  If you install in normal mode, sometimes features of your firewall (like the HIPS in Comodo) prevent installers from writing to protected areas of the registry and the program doesn't get "fully" installed properly.  I never install a program without going out to SAFE mode because I KNOW Comodo has botched up some installs for me (specifically Avast 4.8 a couple years ago) for this very reason.    
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:59:53 PM by buttoni »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
Any of you guys tried the pre-release version 5.0.394? It tries to address several issues concerning the performance during browsing.

bobbyboy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »
Does 5.0.394 solve this problem with youtube,etc.? I'm willing to install it if you think that would help.I have a number of files in my virus chest.What's the best way to handle that if I install  5.0.394.When I installed 5.0.377 I uninstalled 4.8 wih revo uninstaller,using advanced settings,then did a clean install of5.0.377.I did not go into safe mode on uninstall or install.Is that necessary now? It makes me feel that this is still beta testing and not ready for general use.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
- no guarantee the problem will go away, but there is a good chance it will
- in order to keep the files you have in the Virus Chest, don't uninstall the previous version. Just install on top of it
- build 394 is indeed unreleased yet, so it is, in a way, beta testing.

Generally, I don't think it's worth the hassle unless you really like hacking things.

I mean, it's likely the update will officially be release very soon so you can probably wait.

Thanks much
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bobbyboy

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
Thanks,I'll wait till it's officially released.When I do install it,should I do that in safe mode? Also,do I simply update from 5.0.377 or do I download the newer version and install over 5.0.377?

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
Like Vlk said to me you will be avaible to upgrade to the newest build from your 377 without problem