Author Topic: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)  (Read 25288 times)

Falcon

Re: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
Is this new version will correct this problem ?

It is very boring to have such a bug. I am thinking about using another AV after more than 5 years with Avast. I have a lot of colleague in the same case and they are now using Antivir.

Please, resolve this bug.

Good luck.

coolsilver

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »
Yes I am having issues with sound and video. Not just with youtube but other apps.

Do you have issues playing music in the background while surfing or doing other tasks?

Seems like it drives the CPU up a lot and it causes the issues.

I'm sure Avast devs will fix the issue, they have a priority in which things get resolved starting with BSODs.

I have noticed 5.0.396 pre-release is better with this. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:42:36 AM by coolsilver »

Falcon

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
I update to 5.0.396 but the problem remains. I don't understand how Alpha and beta tests were conducted to have a so huge bug and not having yet a fix for it...

For me, it is unbelieveable !!!!

Nobody is answering about if the issue will be corrected or not or if the know how to solve it.

Avast 4 was wonderful, Avast 5 is going to decadence. I think we will have to go ahead and serach for another AV or coming back to Avast 4.8.

Very disappointed by this version which doesn't bring anything else usefull comparing to Avast 4.8.

2nd base

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
no sense going back to 4.8 because it will be obsolete in a few months probably. Reaad the help file that comes with the program because that was actually the biggest help for me. I had the same issues as everyone else on this thread and it APPEARS to be ok now. Although, My computer is a little slower than usual. Cannot open more than three tabs without lag.

Falcon

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »
Hi,

What did you do to solve this issue ? For me, impossible to solve it. I have no problems with 4.8.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
@ Falcon

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then update your Signature: with this information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer advice.

@ coolsilver

No problem with YouTube on my systems.

What other applications do you use?

Are you aware that your gmail.com email address is visible to spammers and scammers as you have permeited it in your PROFILE.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your email address
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:33:12 PM by YoKenny »

news

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »
I update to 5.0.396 but the problem remains. I don't understand how Alpha and beta tests were conducted to have a so huge bug and not having yet a fix for it...

Nobody is answering about if the issue will be corrected or not or if the know how to solve it.

Avast 4 was wonderful, Avast 5 is going to decadence. I think we will have to go ahead and serach for another AV or coming back to Avast 4.8.

Very disappointed by this version which doesn't bring anything else usefull comparing to Avast 4.8.

Hello Falcon...Vlk did state that there was going to be no guarantee that the problem with youtube would be going away. However, he also stated there's a good chance it will. I would think it's not at the top of things to correct in this new version at the present time. If there's a way for vlk and his crew to come up with a fix for this, then I trust it will be corrected at some point and time.

Don't run off just yet. He does read this forum, and is visible quite a bit. He's aware of what's happening. Stay close and keep watching.

Falcon

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
Hi News,

If VLK said may be this problem will be corrected or may be it will not it means that they don't know how to resolve this issue. This is frightened me. So I imagine that nothing will happen soon.

I have a pentium 4 2.8 Ghz (it's about more than 5 years) but it has a clean install under windows 7 and is very fast ! So it is not a hardware problem. I think there is a memory leak because :

- When I start youtube, I have  a lot of lag
- I stop youtube, Lag is off
- I reactivate Avast, lag is not present immediately, it appears again after some minutes.

Thanks for your help, howver I think I will switch (after 6years) to Antivir or another suite.

Jeleal

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 12:13:02 AM »
Just wanted to weigh in here. The lag is also intermittent for me too. One minute all seems fast with a YouTube video running and more than one Firefox tab open, but then a sudden hesitation when clicking bookmarks or a lag when going from one Firefox tab to another.   

2nd base

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »
It's not youtube. Avast! just is not managing memory properly. Every time I think I have a good workaround, it just goes back to being slow.  Other than that, the program actually works. Just cannot watch a video of any kind. Once you attempt that then everything else starts bogging and stuttering. I'll wait and see if it gets addressed before I look elsewhere. It's not loke I spend the whole day watching video's , I just want them to run without fault when I do.

Cako

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »

I was having the same problem using windows xp sp3/1gb ram memory/pentium 4 (3.2)/FF3.6/IE8
I update the avast to version 5.0.396 and the problem seems solved .
it's been 1 days my pc is connected and no problem with audio or video on youtube,no problem with interner browser with many tabs open.......... so far
the reputation of avast its falling with this serious problem .
nobody wants to listen music and video with this problems.
I hope they will launch a new version with the fix for this problem soonn,very,very,very,very soon.
I know several people who used avast end are using AVG now.
but I'm sure they will come back to avast when this unbelievable bug is fixed.
FIX THIS DAM BUG....FOR ALL PEOPLE.. PLEASE.. :)

2nd base

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »
It's just that it's when one plays a video or listens to music after a while of browsing the internet that the problem is most noticable.It's always there but it takes a while for it to actually do it's damage.Thats when it slows the pc drastically.That's when the bigger issue (which I don't think has truly been addressed ) is apparent.

Everyone keeps thinking the computer is running fine watching videos until an hour or so of browsing and then it begins to wreak havoc on the systems memory causing crappy scrolling, browsing, pages loading for almost a minute a piece, tabs cannot exceed two and a host of other issues that make browsing miserable.The thing still isn't placing notes into my clean email either. It wouldn't be so bad if we could at least get some small bit of information about how these issues are being addressed but that hasn't happened for any of mine yet. Good luck getting any information.

And it's only the browser slowing down, right? Everything else is ok.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:57:36 PM by 2nd base »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
Guys (especially Falcon), the fact that you're experiencing the problem doesn't necessarily mean that others are experiencing it as well (or what is the prevalence of the issue). 

Now, I'd suggest disabling the Behavior Shield and checking if it makes any difference. Ideally, disable it (choose "stop permanently"), reboot, and test. Does the problem go away?

The problem is, we're not quite able to simulate the problem (even on low-end systems).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Cako

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Guys (especially Falcon), the fact that you're experiencing the problem doesn't necessarily mean that others are experiencing it as well (or what is the prevalence of the issue). 

Now, I'd suggest disabling the Behavior Shield and checking if it makes any difference. Ideally, disable it (choose "stop permanently"), reboot, and test. Does the problem go away?

The problem is, we're not quite able to simulate the problem (even on low-end systems).

Thanks
Vlk

i really recommend The free version of avast 5.0.396
after several hours testing this version I dont have any more problem with video or audio using youtube or not,its fixed for me.
I open several tabs at once (more than 12 tabs) as I listened to music and everything was great..
using FF3.6 end IE8,no slowdowns..
I think who are having problems may have slow processors.
this means: avast need a few more adjustments.
Vlk, thanks...

Falcon.
disable all modules and see if the problem stop.
if stop,avast need more adjustments
which programs do you have on your computer ?
avast may conflict with some software.
can be with browsers or drivers.
I think :-\
this is the best antivirus in the world.
not exchange avast for another AV,this problem will be fixed soon.
i hope.

2nd base

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »

The problem(?) isn't apparent upon a reboot. In fact, at least for me, it doesn't appear until after a bit of browsing. Perhaps an hour or so. I reformatted one more time and downloaded the program from Cnet which was still offering 377 as of this morning and installed in safe mode without incident. The program notified me that a program update was available and it did it's thing. Avast! is actually running rather well as is windows explorer. It's just the browser that turns into a two stroke engine after a bit of browsing. Windows runs perfectly fine though as does Avast!

I don't know what's wrong with it. I  can't even cause a crash to figure it out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:23:00 PM by 2nd base »