Author Topic: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)  (Read 25333 times)

Kithron

Re: Avast 5.0 conflict with video (youtube)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
Guys (especially Falcon), the fact that you're experiencing the problem doesn't necessarily mean that others are experiencing it as well (or what is the prevalence of the issue). 

Now, I'd suggest disabling the Behavior Shield and checking if it makes any difference. Ideally, disable it (choose "stop permanently"), reboot, and test. Does the problem go away?

The problem is, we're not quite able to simulate the problem (even on low-end systems).

Thanks
Vlk

So far disabling the behavior shield stoped the freezing / sound errors that i was getting while watching youtube videos.

If i have anymore problems i repost here

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 07:47:44 AM »
Does it have anything to do with the high consumption of RAM by mozilla ???

Jeleal

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »
I thought I had .396 installed , but it was .377.  Since updating to .396 I haven't experienced any YouTube problems. I have a 6 year old Sony VAIO Desktop with Windows XP,  1 GB RAM, and  Pentium 4,  2.40 GHz. I run Avast Free 5.0 with OA++ and have Web Shields activated in both programs and Behavior Shield in Avast running. Every once in a while I see a slight lag when browsing with other tabs open and YouTube Video playing, but I would think this is normal with all shields running.

xblade

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 02:28:15 AM »
I also presented the same problem and have the latest version 5.0.396 is actually a little annoying, proves that disable the behavior shield

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 03:16:32 AM »
I can 100% confirm that this has to do with an issue with the shields. I tested this on two computers using the latest version of FireFox and the latest version of Avast 5. One had settings with every single option turned on, set to the highest setting, etc., and the other with default settings. My results are that in general, Avast 5 has issues with one of it's scanners/shields that is scanning the web browser. Both simple and complex pages lag heavily when being checked by Avast 5 before they can finish loading, and the same goes for media such as videos and sounds, as well. Despite the scanner doing it's job very well in the background, it is causing extreme lag and using up way too many resources. In Avast 4, the only issue I ever encountered in regards to a heavy memory usage was when the program was auto-updating in the background. In Avast 5, the previous issue no longer exists, but instead this one does. Avast 5 is an AMAZING program, but at this moment in time, it is filled with too many bugs. I hope the Avast Development Team continues to work around the clock to solve these issues quickly so that their wonderful program does not become a flop. I will continue using it in hopes that this happens, but I cannot vouch for every other user that may get mad and switch at this point, or the ones that will leave after trying it and hitting these issues. Good luck guys. Hope all is well soon. :)
~SugarD-x~

HCEarwicker

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Hi all -

Just a note to confirm what others have said. I've got 5.0.396, and with only 3 tabs open in firefox there's lagging/mouse-sticking as every new page loads. All and any video and sounds also stick horribly - but the problem occurs only when the behaviour shield is on; turn it off and all is as smooth as a baby's bum.

So I have a simple, newbie-style question: If I "permanently" disable the behaviour shield, can I restart it simply by clicking "start" on the behaviour shield control page - at any time? And: how dangerous is it to disable the b. shield for any length of time?

Looking forward to the fix...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
Is this happening also with the latest defs, AND after you reboot the system?
We did quite some changes to the Behavior Shield yesterday evening, hoping it would fix these problems.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

HCEarwicker

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
Hi Vlk,

I'd last rebooted a day or two ago...presumably before you all fixed things.

Having just now rebooted, I'm now delighted to report all's just fine and dandy. Very impressed with the speedy response. Thanks.