Author Topic: How to change the avast! sounds...  (Read 38006 times)

Ex_Brit

Re: How to change the avast! sounds...
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »
Sorry to reawaken this thread.

OK, I've read this from beginning to end and have downloaded the old sounds from the link provided earlier.

I cannot change sounds, it keeps saying access denied despite disabling the protection as described in a link earlier.

You have to disable the shields control before unchecking that item in Troubleshooting for the item to stay unchecked by the way.

(Right click the taskbar icon and choose that from the menu).

I want to change the female voice for the old male one and this definitely is in the 1033 folder, but I get access denied.

This is on my notebook that has XP SP3 by the way and Avast Free.   I want to do this because my roomie borrows it when he travels and he is hard of hearing.

I normally use my PC which has Vista and Windows 7 installed.

I renamed the sound files to exactly what is shown in the 1033 folder and that setting was most definitely disabled but something is still blocking my access.

I'm signed in as Administrator.

Any ideas?

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
Oh?
Are you sure you've disable the avast self defence module?

Ex_Brit

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
Positive - Avast was throwing up all kinds of warnings, and I forgot to mention that I checked file permissions and I am the owner and have full permissions in all those files, so I'm a little puzzled by this.

I should also add that I've been used to Vista and Windows 7 for so long it's taking a bit of getting used to XP again.  I was just given this notebook as a gift.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:39:55 PM by Ex_Brit »

Ex_Brit

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »
Solved by doing the copy and paste in Safe Mode...no disabling of anything needed.

Thanks.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
Hi Ex_Brit,

Glad you finally got it working :)

Some people have reported some issues with the self defense module If I remember correctly...

Welcome to the forum :)

-Scott-

Ex_Brit

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I hope it works, have yet to get an update coming in.  Time will tell!

It's been quite a while since I used Avast and I welcome the version 5 interface.   Simpler and easier than before.

(I moderate the forums for a certain very well known security software maker beginning with "M" who shall remain nameless but whose software fails miserably on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Notebook, hence my use of Avast......shhh, don't tell a soul!!).

spg SCOTT

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
You're welcome :)

I noticed that you said you put the sound file in the 1033 folder?

If so, I am not too sure that it will work (from what I remember if they are changed, they are not used...) If it doesn't, then you will have to copy the voiceover ones that you still want to the \sounds folder and also the older one for the update...

Let us know how it goes.

-Scott-
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:20:35 PM by spg SCOTT »

Ex_Brit

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
The one in the 1033 folder was the only updater one that had the female voice in it so I assumed that this was the correct one to replace, the one in the general sounds folders just had the chime sound.

Did I do wrong?

If so I'll have to uninstall/reinstall as I didn't keep the old one.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
The one in the 1033 folder was the only updater one that had the female voice in it so I assumed that this was the correct one to replace, the one in the general sounds folders just had the chime sound.

Did I do wrong?

When you follow the tutorial, you tell avast! to not use the voiceover ones, but the ones in the sounds folder so you put the ones you want to use there. If you still want some voiceover ones, then you copy them from 1033 to sounds, then they should be used.

If so I'll have to uninstall/reinstall as I didn't keep the old one.

Old what? Sounds?
No need to re-install.

I had a feeling some may forget to back them up:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3105891/avast5Sounds.zip

-Scott-

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »
All information including instructions and sound files (old and new) are also available at:
MySharedFiles in the avast!5 folder.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Ex_Brit

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
OK, thanks guys.   It would expedite matters if I didn't have to sign in again every time I visit here (using IE8).

Logically (or so I thought) the virus_db_updated wav file in the 1033 folder was the one with the female voice.  I figured simply replacing it would work.

I'll reverse my actions if it doesn't work and then I'll start over exactly as you stated.

Thanks again and for the link to the old files ;-).

guestja

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
Did I do wrong

No, I don't think you did wrong. That is how I did it and it works. I simply removed the self defense mode replaced the female voice in the 1033 folder with the previous male voice, and renamed it exactly as it was before the exchange. (virus_db_updated.wav) re-enabled self defense mode and all is fine.

As an aside - if you want to get the original voice files back simply delete the new ones and do a "repair"  and it will reinstall  the original voice files
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:26:18 PM by jwa »

Ex_Brit

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
Well thanks for that.  I have yet to turn on that notebook to see what happens.  Will do that in a bit.

Ex_Brit

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
It works...thanks everyone.   It worked either way, so no harm done and we all learn something as a result.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 08:17:24 PM »
Very interesting, thank you jwa.

When I first tested this, I was pretty sure the behavior was different, but your observations have proved mine to be wrong :)
(I'm wondering if maybe something in the behavior of the program with regards to the sounds has changed since I first looked at this...)

I think something has changed at least, because I accidentally lost the original sounds myself, and a repair didn't restore them...

Glad it works for both of you :)

-Scott-