Author Topic: VRDB issues  (Read 3237 times)

satishincbs

VRDB issues
« on: June 22, 2004, 04:33:44 PM »
Just to check the VRDB feature in avast, i did something really suicidal. i got hold of this really old virus called "Win Tentacle" (a very old infected file i had with me, zipped and encrypted).

Its an "in the wild" exe file infector and non memory resident.

after deliberately executing the virus(resident scanner paused in the meanwhile), i ran avast to scan for it. avast found it all right but the "repair file" feature didnt work.

three files were infected: NETDDE.EXE, CONTROL.EXE and DEFRAG.EXE all in c:\windows.

so is there a problem with the VRDB feature or is it disabled in some way for the home user version??

by the way, i had made it a point to run VRDB updation almost every day.

other details:
avast home version: June Build 4.1.418

also, i have f-prot 3.14e, the dos scanner free for home use. it found all the three infected files like avast but had no problems cleaning them.

Also, am i not doing something right , like do i have to setup some options for VRDB or something??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:VRDB issues
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 05:23:12 PM »
I did something really suicidal.

Wellcome! We don't have as many suicides here as we hope. Most of us like the safe world  8)

So is there a problem with the VRDB feature

Not all the files can be repaired. This was discussed a lot in the past. Only the virus listed on avast Cleaner could be safely repaired for sure. Others, maybe. The only secure thing: backup  ;D

or is it disabled in some way for the home user version??

No, the VRDB is the same for Pro and Home version.

By the way, i had made it a point to run VRDB updation almost every day.

This was discussed either... I short VRDB period could led to loss of data, specially if you install software regulary. Better is one week (see avast settings link in my signature).
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 05:27:42 PM »
Yes, VRDB is the same both in Home and Pro version.
However, you are right - it's not 100% reliable. In particular, 16-bit Windows executables are not supported in the current implementation (which is the case of your files).
A new (better) version should be available soon.

satishincbs

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 09:25:50 AM »
Hey

thnx a lot for the very quick response.

its really good to know that you guys are trying to constantly improve and evolve avast! to make it the best.

im sorry, i didnt know that the topic i was raising was an old one, im new to this.

either way, thnx a lot.

and well, ill keep u guys posted about any new suicidal tendencies that i get in the future  ;D

thnx and best regards