Author Topic: WebShield gets disabled after installing Comodo Firewall - PLEASE HELP  (Read 6075 times)

Offline cska133

hello,

I have big problem and cant not find out what exactly and why it occures.
Here the details.
I have brand new Laptop Toshiba, Windows 7 (64bit) installed.
With this laptop I was not online and didnt install anything else besides AVAST Antivirus  and Comodo Firewall.
Ok, at first I installed Avast Pro 4.8, rebooted, everything OK. next step to install firewall. so I installed Comodo Firewall (actuall version 3.13.xxx from December), reboot ... and noticed that the WebShield of Avast is not active. Of course de- and reinstall I tryed too but no success. Repair also. When I first deinstall Comodo and reboot, the Avast Webshield get active again.
Then I thought maybe it is because of Avast version. At this moment Avast 5 came out so I deciced to try this. So I deinstall old Avast 4.8 and Comodo and installed first Avast 5 Pro - after reboot the WebShield was running, every Avast component was running. Then I installed Comodo Firewall - after reboot the WebShield of Avast was disabled again
I tryed the same with Avast 5 Free but the result is the same.
I tryed also the reverse order - at first installing Comodo Firewall and then Avast, but the result is the same too 
As I said deinstalling Comodo activates the Avast Webshield again.

So after all thi I thing the issue occures because of Comodo. The problem should be in Comodo. I looked in the Comodo settings but I didnt find anything. All settings were at default, both Firewall and D+. I set Firewall and D+ to training mode but the WebShield doesnt get active

I dont know what else I can do .

PS: I disabled in msconfig the whole Toshiba stuff starting on Windows Startup -  without success.

Can comeone test it on his system - -Windows7 (64bit), Comdo Firewall and Avast 5 Free.

Please help !!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WebShield gets disabled after installing Comodo Firewall - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »
Does comodo allow avastSvc.exe, if so delete the entry and try browsing again, it should force it to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
I havent been online yet. As I wrote I wanted to set Av and firewall first.
Without Comodo Avast Webshield works prperly.
Comodo is detecting avastSvc.exe as trust

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:09 AM »
Delete the entry, as I said this should force it to either ask permission or re-evaluate it. There are times when even though allowed the firewall still seems to block, deleting the entry seems to resolve this inconsistency.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

buttoni

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:12:05 AM »
I've always heard on several tech forums you should always install your firewall first, then your antivirus software, and finally your antispyware.  I have always installed my Comodo FW first, Avast next and have never had any problems doing it in that order.  You might try it that way.  Maybe third time's a charm?   :)  I too just installed Avast5 (in Safe Mode) this week (with CIS already installed) on a brand new Win7 Home Premium 64 bit HP desktop.  Went smoothly as it always does.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:14:50 AM by buttoni »

Offline cska133

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »
Delete the entry, as I said this should force it to either ask permission or re-evaluate it. There are times when even though allowed the firewall still seems to block, deleting the entry seems to resolve this inconsistency.
ok, I will try.
Without WebShield is bad, isnt it?

I've always heard on several tech forums you should always install your firewall first, then your antivirus software, and finally your antispyware.  I have always installed my Comodo FW first, Avast next and have never had any problems doing it in that order.  You might try it that way.  Maybe third time's a charm?   :)  I too just installed Avast5 (in Safe Mode) this week (with CIS already installed) on a brand new Win7 Home Premium 64 bit HP desktop.  Went smoothly as it always does.
well I already tried this without success.
But as you have Win7 64bit too and you dont have this issue... hm, then I dont know :-\
With version of Comodo do you have?

buttoni

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:23:09 AM »
I have latest Comodo 3.13.126709.581 (Gee their version numbers are ridiculously long, aren't they?)

Maybe your downloaded copy of the Avast5 installer (or Comodo Installer) got corrupted "en route" and a fresh download copy of both is worth a try.  I know it happens and did happen to me one time with an Avast D/L.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention it's the Avast5 Free Home Edition I installed. You're working with the Pro version, aren't you?  Oh, no....now I see you ARE using the free version.  Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:30:28 AM by buttoni »

Offline cska133

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:30:12 AM »
yes maybe, but with Avast 4.8 I had the same issue :-\

I am also trying Avast 5 Free now. So your scenario is valid for me.

buttoni

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:43 AM »
Well, I've exhausted my thoughts on this.  I'll have to let the experts here try to get back with you on this.  I just thought the "order" in which you were doing things might be a factor.

Offline cska133

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 03:36:17 AM »
thanks, I appreciate

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 03:37:18 AM »
yes maybe, but with Avast 4.8 I had the same issue :-\

I am also trying Avast 5 Free now. So your scenario is valid for me.

If it also happened in 4.8 I would be considering my firewall options:
Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/

buttoni

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 03:52:10 AM »
Well at least one other user has experienced what you describe.  Might be worth following this thread over on the Comodo forums to see if other ideas come up.  https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help/comodo-firewall-without-av-deactivates-avast-webguard-t50452.0.html
That user is working with Avast 4.8, but the replies might give you someplace to begin looking?  

One other thought......you have got a FW rule in Network Security Policy that grants ashWebSv.exe both inbound and outbound access?  That would be necessary.

I also have a Network Security Policy that makes AvastSvc.exe a "Trusted Application" (allows inbound/outbound access).  You might set up this rule and see if that makes any difference.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:03:39 AM by buttoni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
<snip>
One other thought......you have got a FW rule in Network Security Policy that grants ashWebSv.exe both inbound and outbound access?  That would be necessary. 

Not entirely correct, cska133 has version 5.0.377 installed and as such ashWebSv.exe doesn't exist (did in 4.8). Si it doesn't need permission as the controlling process is AvastSvc.exe, which needs permission (which cska133 had done, Reply #2 of this topic).

buttoni

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 04:04:50 AM »
Sorry, I missed that in my reading.  So I don't think I have any other thoughts to offer.  Hope you find a solution CSKA.

Offline cska133

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 04:11:45 AM »
Well at least one other user has experienced what you describe.  Might be worth following this thread over on the Comodo forums to see if other ideas come up.  https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help/comodo-firewall-without-av-deactivates-avast-webguard-t50452.0.html

unfortunatly I am still alone with this problem, because this "other user" its me how asked in Comodo forum too :-\