Author Topic: Third blue screen in four days 5.0 Free  (Read 3985 times)

greenhatch

Third blue screen in four days 5.0 Free
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
I just suffered my third blue screen since updating to 5.0 last week. I realise this is well below the number of blue screens reported on by other users but it's three too many for me, as I've never had a blue screen in two years that I've had my laptop. Who cares about the apparent improvements that 5.0 brings over 4.8 (including the flashy new GUI), when it's causing so many differing types of blue screens for various users. Therefore I'm reverting to good old 4.8 and I will await the Alwil developers resolving these issues hopefully by 5.1 time. Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:32:08 PM by greenhatch »

Hermite15

Re: Third blue screen in four days 5.0 Free
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
good news:  ;D
Microsoft Announces Ads for BSOD
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2002/10/bsod_ads.html

castillo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
I have the same problem...
Well, I have uninstalled the Avast 5 in safe mode and the blue screen is not appearing in the start up process of Windows!!!
Sorry, but Avast 5.0 is very unstable and gave me more problems than a virus!
I think the 4.8 version is really better than 5.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:56:31 PM by castillo »

krgoodwin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Replacing the aswSP driver that I received from avast resolved my BSDs on two different computers with Internet Security 5 but I have now run into additional 'operational' problems.  I think I understand the complexity of the Windows operating environment but when a program causes more problems than it seeks to prevent, I begin to wonder about the quality of the programming.  I left Norton after over 10 years of use because Norton was just causing me more problems than I was willing to accept, performance degradation being the foremost. I always thought the next verision would solve these problems which they did to a degree after many years but as usual more problems only ended up replacing the ones that were resolved.  I am not sure what the solution might be but I am beginning to guess that the people who never install a program before the first service pack is released might have the correct philosophy. My engineering personality requires that I have the latest and greatest so maybe it is time for a paradyne shift.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
@krgoodwin,

The issue with releasing such a radical change is that many issues that arise will simply not be noticed when in the beta stage, purely for the fact that ceratin computer users with certain configurations may not have taken part in the beta testing...(It is usually the more power users that do this...) so when it comes down to other users some more things will be discovered...
Alwil have been, and still are working very hard at this...

As for your issue, my point is proven...a DOS program...nothing against it, but I imagine you are probably the only user (so far?) that has encountered this, so how would ALWIL have any knowledge of it...
Plus it helps when they have all the details...

-Scott-

yaslaw

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
Quatation after Pavel Mourek from avast blog

Sorry for the issue, we are already fixing some driver problems and the new release should be out within couple of days

I think that Alwil is aware of problem, and they are working on it.. I participated in beta from very beginning and in my case - I never had any bsod from avast, so obviously right now because of enormous number of people using and installing avast some conflicts may happen, but I assure you that they working on minidump's etc that they just received. Be patient, or temporary move back to 4.8.
On system that avast works is running blazing fast  - so it's worth to be patient - to feel lightness of system that most of users of other av couldn't imagine..(I had paid license for f-secure av,kav and panda and I just gave them to my friends because I converted completely to avast ;-)

Regards

greenhatch

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
Quatation after Pavel Mourek from avast blog

Sorry for the issue, we are already fixing some driver problems and the new release should be out within couple of days

I think that Alwil is aware of problem, and they are working on it.. I participated in beta from very beginning and in my case - I never had any bsod from avast, so obviously right now because of enormous number of people using and installing avast some conflicts may happen, but I assure you that they working on minidump's etc that they just received. Be patient, or temporary move back to 4.8.
On system that avast works is running blazing fast  - so it's worth to be patient - to feel lightness of system that most of users of other av couldn't imagine..(I had paid license for f-secure av,kav and panda and I just gave them to my friends because I converted completely to avast ;-)

Regards

Thanks for that blog post info yaslaw. Pity that chap didn't post in this forum too. However it is good news that 5.1 is expected shortly so I'll keep 5.0 (with behavior shield disabled).

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »

Thanks for that blog post info yaslaw. Pity that chap didn't post in this forum too. However it is good news that 5.1 is expected shortly so I'll keep 5.0 (with behavior shield disabled).

not 5.1  ;D just a revision of 5.0  ;)

krgoodwin

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
I agree with your comments but am I to accept that fully operational software can't be written?  My very individualistic DOS program problem was only after spending four days resolving all of the blue screens of death I got on two different computers.  The first ones were experienced immediately after installation and in no way could be considered to have come from a small sample space.  Just to many posts from people with the same problem.  The Windows environment is very tough and maybe Mac had it correct to a degree to keep the OS closed to outside development.  Microsoft acceptance testing was cut at this solution.  I just continue to become frustrated when released software causes problems that even an expert will have difficulty resolving.  If I with 35 years of high reliability software experience (manned space program) and 20 years of computer engineering education has problems, what is the typical computer user going to do?  Then again I have always told my graduate classes that computers are the biggest consumer of time unleashed on the human race.  I guess another reason why I am responding to your post - I hope we can both laugh over the situation.  I will admit that avast as been responsive to my requests and I hope they can resolve the myriad of problems. I see that Version 5.1 is on the horizon.

castillo

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
I have the same problem...
Well, I have uninstalled the Avast 5 in safe mode and the blue screen is not appearing in the start up process of Windows!!!
Sorry, but Avast 5.0 is very unstable and gave me more problems than a virus!
I think the 4.8 version is really better than 5.

I got a Blue screen in the installation process of Avast 5 with Spanish language.
I got a Blue screen after installation in English language of Avast 5 when the windows XP is trying to start up.