Author Topic: A few questions for the developers (and others)  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
A few questions for the developers (and others)
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:30:38 AM »
1. When approx. can we expect a new program build (new version) to be released?

2. How come that the new Avast only has 2 processes running instead of 5 like before, it this a better way? Maybe lighter on sys. resources?

3. Is it necessary to uninstall the 4.8 version before installing the new one to make it work properly? Can I uninstall old and install the new version when I'm offline, or is the connection required during install (I don't want to risk any time being connected to the internet and not havaing active protection)?

Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

mouniernetwork

Re: A few questions for the developers (and others)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:14:47 AM »

2. How come that the new Avast only has 2 processes running instead of 5 like before, it this a better way? Maybe lighter on sys. resources?

3. Is it necessary to uninstall the 4.8 version before installing the new one to make it work properly? Can I uninstall old and install the new version when I'm offline, or is the connection required during install (I don't want to risk any time being connected to the internet and not havaing active protection)?

Hello,

1. No one knows
2.Yes it is because it is lighter on system resources and more centralised
3. This has been has answerered many times already, no you don't need to uninstall v4.8 :the installer for v5 will do that...

Al968

Peter Koster

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 01:49:16 AM »

Hello,

1. No one knows
2.Yes it is because it is lighter on system resources and more centralised
3. This has been has answerered many times already, no you don't need to uninstall v4.8 :the installer for v5 will do that...
In other words: a clean install is no guarantee avast 5 will not ruin your system, like a regular update does. Sorry to say this since I'm really thankthull to avast for previous versions, but this one really sucks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:34 AM »
Can I uninstall old and install the new version when I'm offline
yes

or is the connection required during install
no it is not, and you will have 30 days to register.
So when you are online click the register button and fill out the form, name / email......click and done

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:50:24 AM »
Thank you all for the answers. I'm a bit scarred to install the v5... It's because of all the problems I saw on the forum. I've installed it on my brother's PC and there were problems too, bur now it seems OK, just like it needed a day or two to adopt.  ;D
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).