Author Topic: Browser Hijacker  (Read 17031 times)

J-man

Re: Browser Hijacker
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »
Freewheelin Frank -

Avast updated and I ran a boot scan.  I got a BSOD midway through the scan.

I checked out the link you gave me.  I did a GMER scan and it BSOD'd partway through.

The computer has SP3 on the desktop, but I do not know how to isolate atapi.sys.  How do I get the atapi.sys off the XP installation disk?  I tried to find a clean copy of the file online, but did not succeed.

I tried to manually stop the CheckDisk from coming up at startup using a CMD line, but it didn't work.  And when I press a key to get out of the CheckDisk the first time on boot-up, I get a BSOD.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »
The problem here is that atapi.sys is infected - but due to the corruption of your cryptservice neither combofix nor Tdsskiller can find a decent copy to do a switch with - I am afraid this is looking like a case of where you will be better off backing up what data you need and doing a reformat.  Even if I gave you a clean copy odf the file it would not work 

J-man

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
Freewheelin Frank, Essexboy, et al,

Thank you for all the time you put in on this situation.  Reformat is on my agenda.

Is there anything I can do for the forum?

J-man

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
Stay and have fun - sorry the resolution could not be better

J-man

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
Yeah!  Whoeee!  Alright!  Victory!

I didn't want to reformat the hard drive right away, so I did a repair of the OS as a last ditch effort.  And it worked!!  I retained everything on the hard drive except all the bugs.  I was able to do a full scan with Hitman Pro, MBAM, Avast, OTL - logs attached.  The computer works like greased lightning!  My son and his wife will be very happy.

Thanks for all the help on this forum.  You had a victory with a very difficult problem.