Author Topic: Multiple issues  (Read 3868 times)

jayman228

Multiple issues
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
Hello,

I been having MAJOR problems with my computer since Saturday morning. It has been giving me different BSOD screens but the thing that scares me the most is that Avast and Malwarebytes become inoperationable even after I attempt to reinstall. Let me start out with some of the BSOD screens I been getting. I seen BAD_POOL_CALLER, PLN_LIST_CORRUPT, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, AND A DRIVER CORRUPTED POOL MEMORY USED FOR HOLDING
PAGES DESTINED FOR DISK. AHHH! I know the BSOD errors can relate to drivers or hardware but I really believe a virus took over my computer.

I been "working" in Windows Safe mode w/networking to do such things as type this message and trying to fix Avast & Malwarebytes but lately Im getting no where.

I uninstalled Avast, Reinstalled it, ran the update(s), computer Blue screened, then I get back in and seemed to be fine, ran the bootup scan, and it seems like many items are being corrupted but when I check the log file it just shows me that there were errors. When I go to Malwarebytes I get numerous error messages and sometimes I can get in and do a scan but then I get "This program has encountered a program and needed to close" I even did the same for Malwarebytes and same result. Just problems after problems. I do need to mention that when I do logon to normal mode before it does the BSOD I did check the about screen and it shows "VPS file(Virus Database) - Cannot obtain information: VPS file was destroyed". The computer was working PERFECT Friday night when I was on it. The system "rebooted" Saturday morning at around 5:58 AM.

As I type this message I just got a "Data Execution Prevention" message saying "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program." - Windows Explorer. I did pay for Avast Pro and even Malwarebytes and yet I'm having this problem. Besides a give up and format method, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Jason

norel

Re: Multiple issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
There have been reports of avast! 5 conflicting with Malwarebytes and to my knowledge it still hasn't been completely fixed. Are you using avast! 5?

jayman228

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:28:56 AM »
There have been reports of avast! 5 conflicting with Malwarebytes and to my knowledge it still hasn't been completely fixed. Are you using avast! 5?

When this all started and I uninstalled Avast 4.8 I put on 5.0 but realized I didn't have that license file for pro so I removed it (or my problem removed it for me) and anyway I went back to 4.8. Right now I don't have any trace of Avast on my computer. I am going to reboot computer and just go into safe mode without networking and try to install avast 4.8 again and try that. When I just tried to install it right now while in safe mode with networking I got errors and it wouldn't complete the install (go figure)

That is good information though thanks for that!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
jayman228, you didn't tell us which version of avast you're using, exactly.

You need to use the latest version (5.0.396), and NOT the original release version (5.0.377). The original release version had the problem you were describing. The latest version should be much much better.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jayman228

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42:53 AM »
Here's the latest. I was unable to install 4.8 in safe mode without networking as I received:

An error 1006 (000003EE) has occured
Last performed operation was:
Opening the self-extract archive

Try to download setup file again

Once I closed that window I then received "The instruction at "0x7e419976" referenced memory at "0x403912e8." The memory could not be read"

So anyway I went to the forum and read Vlk's post and figured to try Avast 5 again. I ran it instead of saving it and it installed without problems. I even was able to open the database files from the net and get it installed (while in safe mode). 

My new problem(s):

1) I can't do a boot scan. When I select and "add" it to the list and choose Schedule now, i see the current status shows "scheduled to run at next boot" and hit "restart computer" but when the computer restarts it does NOT run the boot scan it just loads windows normally. So is there another way to do a boot scan?

2.) I was able to retreive my license file from Avast email system but when I try to insert it, it says it's unable to. After I select it, it does give me the name, product name, and it shows valid till.

3.) When I boot into normal mode I can't get it to get to enable the resident scanner but everything else is current.

jayman228

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 01:26:06 AM »
Any advise please?