Author Topic: help!system doesnt start after installing avast 5 pro!  (Read 4261 times)

mokkaman

help!system doesnt start after installing avast 5 pro!
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:59:26 AM »
im in a very bad situation..today morning, i downloaded and installed(upgraded from pevious professional edition) avast 5 pro and it asked for restart...after restart ,my windows xp displays only the wallpaper alone..all other options ,explorer.exe was not working   :-[.using task manager i found only Avastsvc.exe in processes list and its status being-"startup pending"..nothing worked then..finally with great difficulty i recovered my xp using system restore using cmd in safemode...i never expect avast 5  >:( ,that too professional edition to be causing so much bad effects  :'( :'(..i run on windows xp SP3-updated fully and was using avast 4 for 2 years  ??? without any problems(except tat of bad defnition update on one day)...i feel sad for being unable to use avast 5  :'(.pls check help in the prob soon  :-\

olddog

Re: help!system doesnt start after installing avast 5 pro!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
Sounds similar to the problem I experienced, see forum item

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54108.msg458287#msg458287

I found after I manually removed 4.8 and did a clean install it all now appears quite stable.

mokkaman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
but my registration details were in myavast 4.8 ..and in avast website only they told me to install 5 without uninstalling 4.8 :o

http://www.avast.com/lp-upgrade-4-5-paid

jeffj4873

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:41:21 AM »
Needless to say if they told you that they were wrong. No matter which you put back you need to uninstall any others and get rid of all folders and files under the folder Alwil Software.

mokkaman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:56:13 AM »
hey my license was in 4.8..tats y i cant do a clean install!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »
Needless to say if they told you that they were wrong. No matter which you put back you need to uninstall any others and get rid of all folders and files under the folder Alwil Software.

They weren't wrong as the 5.0 installers a) retains information about your registration and uninstalls 4.8, check the avast! 5.0 FAQ - General - http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=455&nav=0.

hey my license was in 4.8..tats y i cant do a clean install!

No matter if you have to do a clean install for whatever reason there is a way to convert your old license key (you would obviously have to have retained the email with that in it).
- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you (presumably it will check you have a legit 4.8 Pro license first).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jeffj4873

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »
It took my 4.8 license. But after another crash or two, I went back to 4.8

mokkaman

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
ive been thru forum for a while and found tat avast 5 PROFESSIONAL+Windows XP have many many problems..so waiting for next version of 5!.. wil ver.5 be released thru avast4.8's prog update sooner or later or never?