Author Topic: error: the system cannot find the path specified  (Read 5084 times)

808tida

error: the system cannot find the path specified
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
hi guys...

can anyone help me?  i scan my computer and i get a lot of these messages (error: the system cannot find the path specified), i havent counted it but id guess theres maybe 50-80 of these.  i posted screen shots if anyone wants a peek.  pls help. thanks in advance!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk293/hawaiigurl96734/zAVAST.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk293/hawaiigurl96734/zAVAST2.jpg

NOTE:  forgot to mention that in another post i saw that uninstalling and reinstalling fixed this problem.. ive done that and still have the problem.  :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:49:56 AM by 808tida »

Searcher...

Re: error: the system cannot find the path specified
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
I have exactly the same issue...
It has been this way when i was using anast! 4.8 so I uppdated to 5.0 (both the free edition) thinking that this may help, but it didn't..
Please let me know what I ought to do.

Thank you,
     Searcher...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
Could you please extend the column that shows the file names so that we could see the full paths?
This is an interesting issue. What if you go the folder (via Explorer or your favorite file manager) -- do you see the files there?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Searcher...

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »

???

along side of each it says: "error: the system cannot find the path specified (3)"

:-[
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:13:45 PM by Searcher... »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
This is a different problem - we've seen it a few times already.
Normally, Vista creates a system of links on the partition where it's installed. For example. C:\Documents and Settings is not a real folder, it's only a link to C:\Users.
On your machine, however, the link most likely points to a different disk (for example X:\Users - and the drive X: either doesn't exist, or doesn't contain a folder called "Users").
I don't know how this situation may originate, maybe by copying/cloning the partitions somehow - but basically the problem is on your disk (on the other hand, it's not a critical problem if your OS is running - so if you can ignore these errors in avast! results, you can live with that I guess).

What 808tida posted, however, is different...

Searcher...

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
I see..

Thank you for responding. :)